Lowest League to Champions League Challenge - FC Verbroedering Geel-Meerhout

drezzy86

Reaction score
The Challenge
Take a team of your choice from the lowest league of there respected country all the way to the top division and finally on to Champions League Glory.

Rules

1. Please only use the official Football Manager 2012 databases with no custom databases enabled.

2. Please set your past managerial experience to Automatic/Sunday League Footballer.

3. Please do not cheat in any way as you are only cheating yourself and will not get much of a sense of achievement if you complete the challenge by cheating.

logo_geel-meerhout.jpg

Prologue:-

My phone hadn't stopped ringing all week. I was tipped to become the Greatest manager of all time, after receiving all of my coaching badges. I had breezed through the exams, every one wanted me. I was getting calls from Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Barcelona. They had all parted ways with their managers in the hope that i would join them. They all promised me well over £400 Million to spend on players in the first year alone, They were offering me hundreds of thousands pounds a week. But i was ready to make my decision!

My phone started ringing and it was some intern from the F.A. The rude git, he had just woken me up. What the **** did he want?

"Mr Dresdenov, i'm ringing to congratulate you on passing your coaching badges. you should receive your qualifications through the post as you have opted out of the ceremony"

This is what i wanted to hear, now just to sign for some huge club....but then his next words shattered me, they were blunt, to the point and cold. Cold enough to wake me from my dream.

"As you know, at the F.A, we try hard to find all course attendees a job within the footballing community. Unfortunately, we have been unable to come up with anything for you, apart from a club in Belgium. I will forward you on the details"

Great, so i've just walked out of my job and spent all of my savings. I really thought i'd end up somewhere half decent, like all the lecturers kept on saying. "Yeah, our training scheme is so respected that you'd get a job any where, you're hardest decision will be to decide where you want to work"

Respected my ****! Belgium! I've been to Belgium, it's alright but it is abit of a dump. The only club i could think of was Club Brugge, maybe they would offer me something. I jumped out of bed and headed over to my laptop and logged onto my email....Nope, Not Brugge...Verbroedering Geel - Meerhout

Needless to say, i was in a no win situation. I had no money left, no job, just a dream. I had to go to Belgium and at least see what they were offering, after all, they were going to pay for my Journey to and from Belgium. I hopped onto the Euro-Star and after a two day Journey, i was there, in the Owners office. Why did it take two days? Because it was cheaper for the club to have me break up my Journey.

I sat infront of an old man, who just looked at my qualifications from the F.A

"Oh, England F.A Qualifications, very good. We have you"

"We have you?, sorry, sir, i do not understand"

"we have you, you start today. You use clubs Volvo and sleep in Clubs house"

Wow, i had just been giving a job, as a manager, of this club. I didn't even know where their Stadia was, i didn't even know if i was still in Belgium. He showed me a picture of the clubs house. I presume it is a room next to their training facilities, i thought it was probably used by the clubs caretaker. I went onto learn that the caretaker had died back in 1995 and the house stood empty for all those years. Oh well, i thought, it was very surreal.

--------

Verbroedering Geel-Meerhout

I went onto learn that Geel was a province of Antwerp. i love Wikipedia, they have information on so many clubs world wide, usually in depth, but when i looked at the Geel-Meerhout page, there was nothing there apart from the following:-

"Founded in 1926 as Meerhout Sport, the club received the matricule number 893. In 1966, Meerhout Sport merged with the other club from the city named Hand in Hand, with matricule 2169. The new club took the name F.C. Verbroedering Meerhout. At the end of the season, the club reached the Belgian Promotion. They were relegated to the provincial level in 1987. Ten years later, the club was back at the 4th national level, and even managed to reach the third division in 2006, where they stayed only one season. In 2008 the neighbour club of K.F.C. Verbroedering Geel went into liquidation, so F.C. Verbroedering Meerhout moved to De Leunen stadium, which was not used anymore, and added the name of the city Geel to their name"

I had my work cut out!

We were in the Belgian Third Division, B! along with 17 other clubs i'd never heard of. Non the less, the owner did mention that the club was predicted a 13th placed finish. He never said anything else, apart from good luck.

A few days had past and i let the coaches look after the training whilst i observed. My conclusion? we needed some new blood, but with no money to spend on anything, it was going to be hard to get a cup of tea, let alone a player.

How ever, there was a Trialist game being played in Antwerp, so i drove up there, with my assistant, to have a look. The play was poor and i could see why these guys didn't have a club. But they were still better then what we had. I don't know what come over me, but every time my assistant said a player looked good, i said offer him a contract. I hope my gamble pays off, firstly, i hope that we actually sign some one and secondly, i hope they're half decent.!

Players In :-

Nathaniel Cathalina

Nathaniel was 22 years old and looked good playing on the right wing. As soon as we offered him a contract, he snapped out hands off. I really should've looked at his history. He started out at Ajax back in 2005 but was deemed surplus to requirements and was picked up by Club Brugge. He barely saw a reserve team game and was released in 2008. I asked he had played for after and he said no one, he worked at a fast food resturant and played with his brother and dad on a Saturday. Wow

Jeroen Van Erkel

Jeroen was 20 years old and looked good in defence. He was a youth player at Lommel United before being signed by Genk, but he was released in 2009 and had spent 2 years in the wilderness. Needless to say, he also jumped at the chance to play for us. I really hope we didn't screw up here, we could break some of these young boys hearts

Raoul Ngadrira

This guy was a youngster at Anderlecht before moving onto KV Mechelen in 2002. He left them in 2010 and joined Rupel Boom on a free transfer, but after a year he was let go. I was pleased we picked up the 22 year old who had been at a club with out a break, how ever, he is a striker and i nearly laughed out loud when he told me he had played 30 senior games and scored just one goal.

Steven Godefroid

Steven was previously at Olympic Charleroi and had played 60 games for them in 2 season. he looked pretty good but he never disclosed why he was released. But what the ****, i gambled on a striker who had only ever scored one goal.

Abdullah Omaria

I cannot believe we even offered this guy a contract. He had never played for a team, ever apart from a 2 week trial with Kortrijk. How ever, we were short on players and we need to beef the team up

Davy Versprille

We took a chance on this 17 year old who seemed really immature. He started his footballing life with Cercle Brugge in 2008 before being sacked for playing a prank on a fellow team mate. Deinze then picked him up but refused to renew his contract. So we got him.....Great

Lucas Plautz

I am actually happy with this signing, he was one of mine. When i say one of mine, his agent approached me. He played for Bleid but was always in their starting 11. His contract was up and we swooped in and picked up the frenchman.

Aitor

Another one of my signings but it may prove to be a mistake. His stats came through on our fax machine and there must have been a mistake with the printer because it printed 33 next to goals. When he signed, he had infact scored 3 goals in 43 appearances, not 33.

Ricardo

A young Brazilian Goalkeeper who looked pretty good. God knows why he chose us but he's here after impressive spells at Joinville, Juventus (SP) and Liege

Now for the pre season friendlies, i hope my signings pay off​

Pre-Season and August:

n1183223913_175104_3312146.jpg

Friendly
Geel-Meerhout 2-0 Deinze

Geel-Meerhout 4-1 Olympic Charleroi

Belgian Cup 3rd Round

FC De Kempen 1 - 2 Geel-Meerhout

Friendly

Geel-Meerhout 7 - 0 Zottegem

Belgian Cup 4th Round

Geel-Meerhout 3 - 1 Huy

Division 3B League Game

RC Mechelen 1-1 Geel-Meerhout

Belgian Cup 5th Round

Lommel United 5-2 Geel-Meerhout

Division 3B League Game

Geel-Meerhout 2-2 Woluwe-Zaventem

Kelmis 3-1 Geel-Meerhout

What a month. I signed a ton of unknown players without really knowing what they could do but through out the preseason, they impressed me. We picked up some good wins and i felt good about the up coming campaign. We had a good cup run, with no one believing we could get further then the 3rd round. We didn't play well in the cup to be honest and were lucky to go through. When we played Lommel, we were very good and although Lommel deserved to go through, they shouldn't have scored 5 against us.
As far as the league was concerned, i was worried. We were very unlucky to concede late goals against Mechelen and Zaventem and really should have picked up the 3 points in each game. How ever, our confidence took a hammering from our defeat against Lommel and this showed against Kelmis, who simply thrashed us. Alot of work to do

End of August:

13th Postion in Belgian League 3B, 2 Points

sounds a good challenge. good luck. Im doing something similar in brazil

u want to try brazil. all the lowest leagues rae hard tho as anybody can beat u

verbroederinggeelmeerhout.png

September 2011

Belgian League 3/B

Geel-Meerhout 1 - 2 Hasselt

Temse 2 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 3 - 6 Turnhout

Grimbergen 0 - 3 Geel-Meerhout

We had a horrible month, plummeting down to the bottom of the table. We were out played in the first 3 matches of September, which led to a team meeting. We were still positive and i was extremely happy with the teams reaction as we picked up an unlikely away win at high flying Grimbergen, which took us off the bottom and into 15th place. We needed to build on our away win and start picking up points quickly!

End of September:

15th position in the Belgian League 3/b with 5 points

October 2011

jl1008294966_18197g.jpg

Belgian League 3/B

Geel-Meerhout 1 - 1 Hoogstraten

Patro Eisden 3 - 3 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 7 - 0 Union SG

Bocholt 1 - 4 Geel-Meerhout

Geel Meerhout 3 - 1
Dessel

This month was brilliant, we picked up 11 points and the payers are showing belief. The extra training has really paid off and they look to be responding to my tactics. We were unlucky against Hoogstraten, letting them equalise at the death. Again, against Patro Eisen, we took a 3-0 lead and just switched off, allowing Patro back into the game. How ever, we learned our lesson and over the next three games, we didn't switch off, we kept on going and i'm looking forward to the next month

End of October:

9th in the Belgian League 3/B with 16 points

November 2011

E3_GIP37MJOB.1_FOGEEL.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg

Belgian League 3/B

Virton 2 - 9 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 4 - 3 Diegem

Bornem 1 - 4 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 4 - 1 Rupel Boom

Another brilliant month for us, adding alot of goals to our goal tally. We have really improved over the last few months but that will be tested in our first December game, against league leaders Olympia Wijgmaal, who are 8 points clear. But i am proud of the guys, just a few months ago we hit rock bottom and then just kept on fighting, all the way to fourth in the league

End of November

4th in the Belgian League 3/B with 28 Points

December 2011

img_46_20111201230539.jpg

Belgian League 3/B

Olympia Wijgmaal 2 - 4 Geel-Meerhout

Geer-Meerhout 5 - 0 RC Mechelen

Woluwe-Zaventem 0 - 0 Geer-Meerhout

We only had 3 matches in the month of December, but it was a good month for us. We demolished league leaders Olympia, who had only been beaten once this season. We then went onto smash 5 past a tough Mechelen side, but for some reason, we couldn't put anything past the bottom side, Zaventem, but we still played well and if we can keep this up, we will have a good second half to the season

End of December

3rd in the Belgian League 3/B with 35 Points

January 2012

vgm.jpg

Belgian League 3/B

Geel-Meerhout 4 - 0 Kelmis

Hasselt 1 - 9 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 4 - 1 Temse

Only three league games for us this month due to our last one being called off due to the heavy snow. But we played fantastically well in all three games, especially against Hasselt. We have a hunger, something in which has been missing from Geel for a long time. We are currently sitting in 2nd place with 44 points, 6 points behind the leaders, Olympia. We also received notification from the Belgian F.A indicating we had qualified for the play-offs.
We managed to keep hold onto all of our players, apart from a reserve goal keeper, who had opted to join Hasselt. The problem at this level is most teams are Amatuer, the players are paid no money at all.

End of January:

2nd In the Belgian League 3/B with 44 Points

February 2012

02169_Verbroedering_Geel_Meerhout.jpg

Geel-Meerhout 2 - 2 Grimbergen

Turnhout 5 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Hoogstraten 0 - 2 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 1 - 1 Patro Eisden

Union SG 1 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Abit of a shaky month for us, the pressure seemed to get to us, especially after conceding a 95th minute goal against Grimbergen. Our game in hand was alot worse, we didn't seem up for it and were demolished by Turnhout, even though we took the early lead. We did gain our composure against Hoogstraten but were lucky to pick up points in our last two games of February. We finished the month in 4th, 4 points behind new leaders Vitron

End of February

4th in the Belgian League 3/B with 50 Points

March, April and May

E3_GU03JOGFD.1_FOCHRISTIAENS.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg

Belgian League 3/B

March

Geel-Meerhout 6 - 2 Bocholt

Dessel 2 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 3 - 1 Virton

April

Diegem 3 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 2 - 0 Bornem

Rupel Boom 1 - 1 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 2 - 0 Olympia Wijgmaal

We almost made it, we almost finished first but Virton picked up victories in their last two games to finish 6 points clear of us, 3 points clear of second placed Turnhout. But we were not disappointed, we were tipped to finish 13th this season and in the early stages, we flirted with the relegation zone. We're now in the play-offs and if they players want to realise their dream of promotion, then they have it all to do!

PLAYOFFS-

Play-off for promotion Quarter Finals

Geel-Meerhout 2 - 0 La Louviere Centre

La Louviere Centre 0 - 0 Geel-Meerhout

Play-off for promotion Semi Finals

Turnhout 2 - 0 Geel-Meerhout

Geel-Meerhout 5 - 1 Turnhout

Play-off for promotion Finals

Geel-Meerhout 6 - 1 Deinze

Deinze 2 - 2 Geel-Meerhout

Wow, what a couple of weeks. We got a good result in the quarter finals beating a pretty poor Louviere side, but it was the draw for the semi finals that got me worried, we were to play Turnhout who had smashed 11 goals past us in our previous 2 meetings. In the first leg, they mastered us yet again and we were lucky to come out of the game with a 2-0 defeat. We had to do something drastic for the second leg. We had been practising a certain tactic all year but never really used it, now was the time. And it paid off. We hammered Turnhout, who didn't expect our onslaught. A brilliant 5-1 victory pt us through to the final, against Deinze. Deinze had been a Second division team for a long time and were relegated last season, and they wanted to be back where they belonged. I was impressed with the guys in the first leg, putting away every shot on goal but in the second leg, Deinze had our number and we were thankful that we had scored so many goals in the first leg. Their heads dropped as time went on and in the 70th minute their threats diminished completely when we pulled a goal back. Amazingly we scored on the death to give us a credible draw. We done it, We're going up!