Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

I am a biased ****.
Reaction score
Please note: This is a follow on from my story for FM 2010. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/luis-tiaguinho-sao-paulos-finest-t32650.html

Comments are very welcome, feel free to give me constructive critiscism or point out any spelling or punctuation errors. :)

Luis Tiaguinho

Luis Tiaguinho. I was born in Sao Paulo on November 8th 1979. I come from a working class family. My Dad owned a boxing gym but died in a car accident 9 years ago. My mother works in a church in Sao Paulo. I joined Sao Paulo FC at the age of 11, but was let go when I was 18. I then joined Brasa FC, playing 39 games in 3 season's there. They never renewed my contract so I then joined semi-pro club Astral EC. I was there for 4 years, playing 77 games. I played as an attacking midfielder throughout my career, and was nicknamed the Brazilian Lampard at Astral. At the age of 25 at Astral I decided my career wasn't going anywhere and I was still living with my mother.

Upon my move to Italy I took up the role as Carrarese manager and had success at the club before getting into trouble and having my contract terminated, still I'll remember the club for my successful season and the good times. Time to move on.

Recap:

Carrarese (Italian Serie C2) - First season, promotion, Serie C Cup win. Second season was ongoing and I was doing pretty well…

That was until I was battered by a gang of youths, got them back with my group of friends, then got sent to jail for months. I was left with nothing.

Re-Introduction

The inability to contact Rosa was killing me, I may never see my first love ever again, my friends were still there for me but it wasn’t the same, I never felt at home. I was no longer manager of Carrarese and my reputation was all but ruined. I sold my flat and moved in with my Mother into her bungalow. I need a new plan, I doubt any Italian clubs are going to take me on after going to jail for assault, and I am hardly known abroad...

----------​

After days and days of sitting on my Toshiba laptop searching for managerial positions and coaching vacancies in Italy, mainly around the Tuscany area I decided to have a change of plan. Since moving to Italy I had learnt the language and was very fluent in it, aswell as learning English to a pretty good level. I needed to do something drastic, I needed to leave Italy. It was going to be a lonely trip, but I was hoping I'd be able to find a club in England. I booked a plane over, my flight was in three days, I was excited but very, very nervous.

The day before my exit from Italy, I had a little check of my e-mails. Mainly junk from banks and spam websites. What was this? 'Personal message - Jean-Pierre Calliot'? Thought it'd be more junk of some French guy, trying to sell me frogs legs. I was wrong...

Personal message - Jean-Pierre Calliot

-

Dear Mr Tiaguinho,
Your work in Italy has not gone unnoticed here in Reims. I am the chairman of the famous French club and after a failure in relations with former manager, Hubert Fornier, there is a managerial position available. We are interested in securing your services however I hope you will appreciate that other managers will also be interested in the job, we are a big club. We'd like to offer you an interview for the position on 19/06/2010. It'd be greatly appreciated if you turned up at around 01:00 PM, at the Stade Auguste Delaune II, in Reims. I'd also like to let you know, I am aware of what happened over in Carrara regarding your criminal offence although I am close to Fabio Oppicelli (Carrarese Chairman) and he wants me to give you a great opportunity. Stade de Reims has a great history and we can not let the fans know about anything like this, and nothing like that can happen over here in France. Please take the time to reply and let me know if you will be attending the interview.

Thank-you, Jean-Pierre Calliot.

-

I didn't know what to think, actually I did, I was absolutely ******* delighted. I banged Stade de Reims in on Wikipedia and it seems they're in Ligue 2 in France, having been promoted from Championnat National last season. Even more impressive was the fact they're 6 times winners of Ligue 1 and have finished runners-up twice in the European Cup. Players such as Just Fonataine, Raymond Kopa and Roger Piantoni had played for the club back when they were a major force in Europe.

Champions of France
Champions 6: 1949, 1953, 1955, 1958, 1960, 1962

Coupe de France
Champions 2: 1950, 1958
Runners-Up 1: 1977

European Cup
Runners-Up 2: 1956, 1959

I instantly sent a message back to Mr Calliot.

-

Dear Mr Calliot,
I am very honoured you have chosen to give me this opportunity of an interview to manage your great club. I delightfully accept the offer and will be sure to be at the Stade Auguste Delaune II on time. Thank-you for the opportunity sir, I will not let you down!

Thank-you, Luis Tiaguinho.

-

I kept it short as I was so excited, I could not be arsed to type. I wanted to thank Fabio (Oppicelli) for recommending me to him, he has been great since I have been in Carrara although he had to terminate my contract at Carrarese. I ran into the living room like a little kid, telling Mother the news, she was over the moon for me. I then rang Fabio, thanking him, I arranged a get together with him for before my trip to France. I cancelled my plane to England, instead booking one to France, I was so excited!

---------

Landing in Reims

Reims, on landing, looked a very rural area, was full of fields and green land. As I exited the aircraft the temperature was pretty similar to Italy, maybe slightly colder but not much.

I exited the airport and jumped in my personal transport to my hotel, just outside of Reims in Tinqueux. Was I doing all of this for nothing though? I only had an interview, it was no guaranteed that I'd land the job. All I could do was my best though.

Reims is in Northern France and has a population of around 190,000. The city is very historic and has some remarkable landmarks.

Place du Parvis and a statue of Joan of Arc:

Cathedral of Reims:

It was time to sit back and relax in preparation for possibly the most important interview of my life...

-------

The interview

I arrived at Stade de Reims' stadium (Stade Auguste Delaune II) half an hour early. I was welcomed in by the receptionist who guided me to a room, basically a waiting room. This was a life-changing interview and I felt sick, I was shaking, I was so, so nervous.

Monsieur Tiaguinho, Bienvenue, venir dans. a

Luckily had a translator who translated it into English for me.

Mr Tiaguinho, welcome, come in.

I entered this guys office with sweat coming from my eyebrows, he was a big man, about 6 foot, pretty fat, looked well off.

Merci, Monsieur le tiaguinho, je vais vous laisser savoir si vous avez le travail, bientôt, consulter vos e-mails régulièrement, au revoir.

Thank you Mr Tiaguinho, I will let you know if you have the job, soon, check your e-mails regularly, goodbye.

I said my goodbye's and left back for the hotel. I thought things went pretty well, nevertheless I could not help but go over each and every question in the taxi on the way back to the hotel. Small things I could have done differently, I was even ******* assesing my own body language. I had to get my mind off things...

Last edited:
Good start! Never read the FM10 version, but it looks good so far. KIU!

Good start! Never read the FM10 version, but it looks good so far. KIU!

Thanks mate, the 2010 version faded towards the end as I never had the time, put a lot of time into this one and have been planning it for ages.

The story delves into the guys personal life a lot, I will put his introduction up from the 2010 version. :)

Great to finally see this back mate, and I'm so glad you didn't hop on that plane to England - I find the continental stories much more enjoyable! Subscribed.

Great to finally see this back mate, and I'm so glad you didn't hop on that plane to England - I find the continental stories much more enjoyable! Subscribed.

Thanks mate, not a fan of managing in England tbh, I like testing my skills in leagues I have no idea about, generally lower league European leagues. :)

------

The unveiling

'Nous sommes ici aujourd'hui pour vous présenter notre nouveau directeur. Luis Tiaguinho a eu beaucoup de succès dans les ligues à l'étranger et a signé un contrat pour devenir notre nouveau directeur pour l'avenir prévisible'.

'We are here today to present our new manager. Luis Tiaguinho has been very succesful in leagues abroad and has signed a contract to become our new manager for the forseeable future'.

Words cannot describe how elated I am. I am joining a side who are 6 times winners of the French league and have twice got to the final of the European Cup. Mr Calliot seemed very pleased to have me on board and I couldn't wait to take control of the team. I took a few questions at the unveiling, generally about what I have done in my career, or rather, the lack of what I have done in my career. Answered pretty sensibly stating my success in Italy and the intelligance of the Chairman as the reason I was at the club. It was my time to shine, time to learn the language and in a couple of days it was time to meet the squad...

-----

First day at the office

I sat at my desk at le Reims training ground. I had been shown around by my assistant, Emmanuel Clement. Seemed like a nice guy, a year older than me, played for Reims as a player for a few seasons and speaks English fluently which is a big help to me. I met the rest of the backroom staff, who all seemed pretty decent and were all polite and they were all happy enough. The facilities at the club are pretty good, obviously not the best in the world, but definitely a step up from in Carrara.

I made an account for the new laptop I'd be working on, took me about 10 minutes before I got on. When I did get on I checked my direct e-mail's from the chairman.

-

Luis, welcome to Reims!

The club is not in the best financial situation at the moment.

• Your transfer budget: €150K
  • Your wage budget: €110K
  • Wage budget in usage: €103K

I am only able to offer you limited resources in which to do your job. The personel at the club are good enough to stay in the league though, and with your ability we could push on. Good luck Luis, and remember if you need anything or have any queries, don't be afraid to ask me.

Oh, I almost forgot, our new kits for the season have been unveiled!

----

-

Thought the kits were fantastic, hopefully we'll see attractive football in some attractive kits.

Kits made by 'Dan'. :)

Last edited:
Another good update, hopefully you'll be able to do something with these finances. :)

Another good update, hopefully you'll be able to do something with these finances. :)

Thanks mate, I'm sure I will. ;)

Next update will likely be tomorrow, 6-ish?

This is a good story i will be following. I was wondering if you will follow my tottenham story :D thank you

good story when is the next update dident read the old one but this does look great so far :)

good story when is the next update dident read the old one but this does look great so far :)

Thanks mate, next update will be about 3 hours. :)

----

In's and out's

On a restricted transfer budget, nothing I am not used to.

StadedeReimsTransfers_History.png

Jan Kirchhoff was a player I found on the loan list, looks like a very good ball-winning midfielder who could really hold my 4 man midfield, should be a starter.

Thibault Moulin looks perfect as a deep-lying playmaker, however will probably only get cameo appearances as I look to break defences down.

Lerato Chabangu is a real big money transfer. Can play left-wing and as a striker, 220k with 100k up front and the rest over 48 months, could be a big player for me.

Aaron Galindo a Mexican, ball-playing centre-half I found whilst browsing the free agents, he turned down a lot of sides to join although we did offer a lucrative wage.

Wilfried Niflore, a big target man, a good finisher, signed from Litex in Bulgaria although he is French and should fit in well. A bargain at 14k, was on the transfer list.

Marko Ciurlizza, another big money signing, another playmaker who I doubt will be a regular although he could become a big player if he performs.

Fabian Carini, a world renowned goalkeeper, and a brilliant signing. Will certainly be our number one, and after a few suspect performances from Liebus, it is good to have him on board.

StadedeReimsTransfers_HistoryOut.png

Joffrey Bertolino was almost instantly let go, on a decent wage and sitting in the reserves, won't get games this season, hence the contract termination.

Jeremy Houbeaut was another who was let go quickly. Not on a massive wage but he was a pointless player to have, let go on a free to a lower league French club.

Lucas Deaux was a pretty good prospect, however with a lot of clubs showing interest I decided to generate as much money as possible for him. 375k up front is a good sum.

Thomas Gamiette, another decent player, although was on high wages and wouldn't be a starter with the inclusion of Kirchhoff, Reading signed for 60k.

Alexandre Barbier was let go for 40k to Pescara due to Galindo coming in. A decent sum for a below average centre-half.

Last edited:
Chabangu is a legend! He was awesome for my Ajax team on fm09, yet I haven't seen anything of him since then. Can you put a screenshot up of him? Good business there Ben

Chabangu is a legend! He was awesome for my Ajax team on fm09, yet I haven't seen anything of him since then. Can you put a screenshot up of him? Good business there Ben

Thanks mate. :)

I'll throw a screenie up of Chabangu now.

LeratoChabanguProfile_Attributes-1.png

Lerato Chabangu, value removed as I have played most of the season, and it has changed. ;)

Looks decent. He really did bang them in for me on that save a few years back and is one of my favourite players in fm. I had him and Eddie Johnson up front and they were devestating! Looking forward to this story even more now ^^)

Stade de Reims - The squad

Stade_de_Reims.png

Goalkeepers:
Fabian Carini - New signing, my new number one, one of the best keepers in the league.
Johan Liebus - Decent backup, will be good enough in cup games, happy to be on the bench.

Right-Backs:
Mickael Tacalfred - Not the best fullback in the world but should perform okay as my top right-back.
Christopher Glombard - 21 years old, talented and should eventually become my number 1 in this position.

Left-Backs:
Frederic Biancalini - My best left-back but isn't that great and is 35 years old, my search for a left-back failed, I may suffer.
Joachim Ichane - Slightly worse than Biancalini but if Biancalini decreases rapidly may find his way into the side.

Centre-Halves:
Aaron Galindo - Very good on the ball, new signing on a free, should be a starter if he performs.
Anthony Weber - My limited defender who I plan to start alongside Galindo, decent defender.
Matthieu Fontaine - Okay defender, provides good backup and can cover the left side aswell.
Lucien Aubey - very strong, poor in the air, lack of pace, 4th choice here.

Ball-winning midfielders:
Jan Kirchhoff - Very good ball winner, great loan signing, nailed on starter.
Grzegorz Krychowiak - Another who is in on loan (from Bordeaux), backup for Jan, decent cover.

Deep-lying playmakers:
Marko Ciurlizza - I only plan to bring a playmaker on when we can't find a decisive pass, Marko is my best option here.
Thibault Moulin - On loan from Caen and I like this lad, young and determined, cover for Marko.

Box to box midfielders:
Florent Ghisolfi - Perfect for the box to box role, isn't brilliant but is a solid midfielder, most likely start alongside Kirchhoff.
Johan Ramare - Similar to Florent, if he impresses he may find his way into the first team.

Wingers:
Romain Amaltafino - Big Reims prospect, young, has the making of a good winger. Can play either side.
Odair Fortes - Cape Verdian, pacey right winger, will probably be a starter.
Lerato Chabangu - The wing is not his natural position although if needed, he can play on the left.

Target men:
Wilfried Niflore - Fantastic bargain signing from Litex, not a nailed on starter with Faure in the side but has great attributes.
Cedric Faure - Good in the air, great finisher, although I'll be playing a support target man, so may only be cover, good striker though.

Strikers:
Julien Toudic - Is on loan from Caen and is a proper goalscorer, has an abundance of pace and a great finish.
Lerato Chabangu - Will find it difficult to get into the side ahead of Julien although he can play on the left too, a great option.

Overview: The squad is quite thin and lacks quality in certain areas, good enough for top half of the table though, that's for sure.

Strengths: Our attacking force, if Toudic/Chabangu and Niflore/Faure perform a good little and large partnership up front, we could be deadly. Carini is also a strong player for the team, possibly the best keeper in Ligue 2.

Weaknesses: Full-backs are a bit suspect, saying that the whole of the defence is a bit shaky, hopefully we'll be able to score more than we concede! Or just strengthen the area in January.

:)

Fabian Carini ----------------------------------- Wilfried Niflore ----------------------------------- Julien Toudic
Carini-1.png
img-niflore-la-vie-est-pauvre-en-bulgarie_x300_arton133029-1.png
TOUDIC-1.png

Last edited:
Sexy story Benny, very nice :wub:

Tactics

Simple idea really, an attacking 4-4-2/4-2-4 depending on who has the ball. Push the opposition back, press them as much as possible and play nice football (a very Blackpool style mentality), especially considering we're expected to finish just above the relegation places.

Formation:
StadedeReimsStadedeReims_Tactics-4.png

Team instructions:
StadedeReimsStadedeReims_Tactics-3.png

Keeper
Fullback-Support
Limited defender-Stopper
Ball playing defender-Cover
Fullback-Support
Ball winning midfielder-Defend
Box to box midfielder-Support
Winger-Support
Inside forward-Attack
Target man-Support
Poacher-Attack

Traditional sort of defence, a ball player and one who is good on the ball to play it into the midfield. The fullbacks will get forward but only at the suitable times, and will not leave themselves exposed, hence the support role.

A slightly complicated midfield? Not really. A ball winner who will be very disciplined, defending and breaking up the play. A box to box midfielder who will use his energy to move about, and almost play as a playmaker, picking passes out from his desired position, he will receive a lot of the ball but almost instantaneously get rid of it, looking wide or forward to keep the game flowing.

The right winger will drop into the midfield a little more than usual. With the box to box midfielder sometimes breaking into a more attacking role the right winger will drop back and move into the midfield, albeit ahead of the ball winner. Of course the right winger will look to beat his man though and put crosses in. The left winger will often look to drift inside and join the attack, sometimes creating a 3 man attack.

Little and large front line. A big target man who will provide flick on's to the little lad, the poacher who will be the main goalscorer.

The fluidity of the team however means the formation may sometimes change from 4-2-4, to 4-4-2 and even 4-3-3 when the right winger drops into the midfield and the left winger joins the attack. Hopefully it will be successful for us. :)

Friendlies

------​
Stade de Reims 4-1 Stade de Reims reserves
Faure2, Fontaine, Ramare/Mabunda

Rodez Aveyron Football 1-1 Stade de Reims
Raymond/Niflore

FC Emmen 0-1 Stade de Reims
Chabangu

------​

Friendlies purpose is to gain players' match fitness. Rotation and small amount of playing time generally help and I don't regard results as important at all. I do enjoy seeing new signings in action however, and I was pleased to see Chabangu and Niflore get on the scoresheet, pre-season.​

League and cup matches will be more in-depth and I will post, post month reports. :)

August​

------
Coupe de la Ligue 1st Round
Stade de Reims 1-2 Evian TG FC
Toudic

A poor performance and a bad result. We were 1 up in the first ten minutes, before conceding in the 70th. It looked like it was going to extra time until Sagbo bagged them the winner in injury time.

------
Stade de Reims 2-2 Stade Lavallois
Niflore, Ghisolfi

Dissapointed to draw however the game was about even, we went ahead again but they eventually took the lead, before Ghisolfi got us an equaliser in the 75th minute.

------
Le Mans 1-0 Stade de Reims

Another bad result, I never expected a win but a draw would have sufficed. Another loss, we're lacking goals and I am already getting worried.

------
Stade de Reims 1-1 FC Istres
Chabangu

A point, but is it 2 lost? We were ahead for over 60 minutes until the equalised in the 87th minute, a real lack of concentration, very dissapointed.

------
Le Havre 3-0 Stade de Reims

No surprised here, we're playing bad, low on morale, Havre destroyed us. We need to pick ourselves up.

------

Stade de Reims 2-1 ESTAC Troyes
Chabangu, Faure

What a result! A win was massive for me here, and we thoroughly deserved it. We were 2 up until we conceded in the 70th minute, we were lucky to hold on.

------

An awful month and one I will want to forget, we need to sort ourselves out. I am really hoping the win against Troyes will give us momentum to push on and get more good results. We conceded in every match in August, we have internal problems, we need a morale boost. We have an international break before coming back on the 10th of September, and boy do we need to win.

Player of the month:
Lerato Chabangu. The new man has scored a few goals and has been very good considering the rest of the teams performances, looks a good signing already.

Last edited:
Not the best of starts Ben, but I'm glad to see Chabangu settling in quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.