Reaction score
ssnHQ1.jpg

A.S. Roma Hire Laudrup!

Back where I belonged, in the upper echelons of football. No longer could I bear my exile in Qatar and the offer from Roma had me chomping at the bit. The chance to manage the legend that is Totti in the twilight of his career, along with the young and ambitious midfielders in the Roma ranks was too much to turn down.

My time in Italy as a player was not what I expected, nor was it as successful as it should have been. Spain know of my greatness, my genius is lauded from Madrid to Barcelona, yet Italy see me only as a failure. That is to change, from my seat in the capital, at the Stadio Olimpico, I will conduct my revival in football until I am lauded in Italy as I should have been all those years ago.

michael-laudrup_2320170b.jpg

Tactical Thoughts

Italy would pose a distinct challenge to my ethos. I have always sought to play fast, free-flowing football. The way football should be played. This is not the Italian style, to play such a way in Italy would be suicide. Their focus on defence is legendary and although initially my brand of football might produce shock and awe wins over the ageing Serie A midfielders and defenders, such a style could not be maintained. I will not make the same mistake I did in Russia. No, no, I must adapt to how football is played here. It will be a challenge but I trust I will find a way. Pundits used to marvel at my abilities to create goals seemingly from nowhere when I was a player. Soon they will marvel at my abilities to produce results as a manager over resolute Italian defences. Wins, the titles and the plaudits that come with them will come for Rome and they will be Made in Laudrup. This is my destiny, this my story...

The first day of training was good, is it was good to back in the swing of things with some top footballers. The summer of Rome was pleasant in comparison to the days in Qatar. I was relishing every minute. After a while observing the players I have came to note numerous things and began shaping tactics to bring out the best in this squad.

ATALANTA-ROMA-DE-ROSSI-FLORENZI-NAINGGOLAN-221114-MANCINI-300x200.jpg

Nainggolan, Florenzi and De Rossi

With Strootman injured for the meanwhile, these three would be the lynchpins of my midfield. All are exceptionally talented. If I can possibly find a way to incorporate the three of them into a midfield their talent should shine through and ensure that we dominate the centre of the park in a fashion similar to how Juve have been recently with Vidal, Pogba and Marchisio.

destro-totti1-650x250.jpg

Blessed!

The main reason I joined! Ah Francesco. What a player, even now in training he shows he still has the ability to mix it with the best. Nearing the end of his illustrious career, but still immensely talented and with a keen eye for goal. How much game time he gets I am unsure, it will depend on injuries and fatigue I am sure. However I have Mattia, young and hungry and capable of leading the line by himself. I cannot see goals being a problem. My only worry is if both get injured.

My only issue is the centre of defence and possible cover striker. I have been afforded a considerable £6m budget, but defenders do not come cheap and I require one capable of solidifying our lines. A defensive stalwart is imperative. Everyone knows my history of uncovering gems in the Spanish league, however those are attackers. How I will fare finding a defender in the La Liga I do not know, if I fail I fear I will have to search further afield.

Centreback needed. As stated I'm going to be searching the Spanish League primarily, any ideas as to who my target is? Tinkering with some formations now, they're a little bit different to the 4-2-3-1 I usually favour on FM so could be interesting. How you finding it guys, any suggestions?

Balanta or Nkoulou should be your centreback, both available for £5m and £6.35m respectively. You could also sell Gervinho to Chelsea for around £25m whilst you can replace him with Andre Ayew for £6m. Also, you should consider buying a goalkeeper as De Sanctis is a dying ember.

​Despair!

The pull of the Italian league is not what it once was. I had immediately marked Mateo Musacchio as my main transfer target to bolster my central defence. Young and an all rounder with definite room for growth. He would become the lynchpin of my defence, however the allure of the Premier League was too much and he opted for Arsenal's offer over our own.

Inigo Martinez was my second target, the young Sociedad player was sure to become a mainstay of the Spanish national team and it would have been a real coup. However Sociedad were not playing ball and completely priced him out of the market. I found numerous other gems in Spain, however all were rough gems who would need development I needed an instant starter, a polished and refined player capable of commanding the back four. I needed to search further afield.

images

It is as if Arsenal get the reports of my scouts before even I do! Nicolas Nkoulou, the young Cameroonian appeared perfect. Capable of playing defensive midfield as well I was sure I had found exactly what I was after and more for a small fee, however as soon as I went to begin negotiations he had already agreed to join Arsenal. Both of my main transfer targets taken by Arsenal, I was seething.

My scout alerted my to Balanta, playing in the Argentinian league for River Plate. I immediately bought him, I was desperate. Desperate to buy a player and desperate that I got there before Arsenal or another Premier League club bought him. His demands were acceptable, and he was excited to follow in the footsteps of Erik Lamela who made the move from River Plate to Roma a few years ago. My search is complete, I have a defender capable of slotting into the first team immediately and remaining there for years to come.

Tactics

Many a sleepless night has bore this. I have watched more Serie A highlights than I care to remember in the past weeks, I understand now the need to dominate the midfield, to ensure a strong defence. It was not a catenaccio, that was outdated. No, no this was new, innovative and would allow my talented midfield to flourish... or so I hoped.

TSRW72V.png

This will allow me to play De Rossi deep, screening the defence as the wingbacks go forward. My three central midfielders; Florenzi, Pjanic and Nianggolan are youthful and creative, all capable of defending and attacking and I believe this formation will allow them to control and overrun other teams. Totti still has the ability to pick a pass and score goals, however starting him every game behind Destro may not be an option due to his age.

This does not accommodate the wide players in my team: Ljajic and Gervinho and as such I have formulated a 4-5-1 similar to what I used at Swansea. I believe this will be more than sufficient for use against weaker teams in Serie A who from the first whistle will be subject to intense and relentless free-flowing attacking football.

Really annoyed at my hunt for a defender. I really didn't want to get Balanta as I used him a lot in FM2014 too and wanted someone different. As above my Spanish hunt didn't go well. Dragovic went to Barcelona, Toprak didn't want to come. Sule was priced ridiculously, Veltman wasn't worth it according to my scouts and I didn't think of Okore until too late. Hi-ho Balanta's solid anyway, what you think of my tactic?