SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
View attachment 63077So i've finally gotten into FM2018 and like always i started with Arsenal. Decided to create something weird so i came up with this tactic:
View attachment 63079 View attachment 63078

I'll switch between Attacking, Standard and Counter depending on the situation in-game but i usually start with a Counter Mentality
It's been working pretty well so far even though i created and haven't tweaked it so far ( the reason i'm posting it here, as i'm not very good at tweaking tactics to make them better)
We play quality football and score really good goals, it's a bit leaky and i concede more chances than i would like but as long as i score more than them i'm fine

Results so far

View attachment 63077

Best Performances

View attachment 63076 View attachment 63075 View attachment 63074

So if anyone is up for some tweaking i would appreciate it

Edit: Aubameyang Golden Ball Winner
View attachment 63054

Last edited:
It seems like you're doing decently with it already so I don't know how much we can add. The main structural issue I see is defensive coverage on the flanks (if I were playing against this formation, I would try to focus my attacks down the flanks and overload your fullbacks or catch them high up the pitch in transition). A more nit-picky but maybe helpful suggestion is that "play out of defense" doesn't really go with a counter mentality; the purpose of the counter mentality is to break quickly and take advantage of a transition opportunity after a turnover, while "play out of defense" fits with a more patient style that wants to build from the back gradually (i.e. less transition-oriented and more possession-oriented). I don't really know what your preference (quick transition vs. patient possession) is, so I can't tell you which one you need to change exactly, but the instructions are kind of contradicting one another.

Like I said though, it seems like you're getting decent results so I don't know if you really need my rambling gibberish "help".

Looks good! That's a strange looking shape up top but i love seeing a weird looking system work, and I regularly use asymmetrical formations.

How is Ramsey doing in the Mezzala role? He (and potentially Monreal) look like the only weak links in the first team. If you're looking at bolstering up your defensive side, I'd be tempted to get someone like Lewis Cook in and use him as a Carrilero to cover off the side spaces towards your flanks. BUt if you're happy with a 'score one more than you' system (most of us are!) then keep going!

It seems like you're doing decently with it already so I don't know how much we can add. The main structural issue I see is defensive coverage on the flanks (if I were playing against this formation, I would try to focus my attacks down the flanks and overload your fullbacks or catch them high up the pitch in transition). A more nit-picky but maybe helpful suggestion is that "play out of defense" doesn't really go with a counter mentality; the purpose of the counter mentality is to break quickly and take advantage of a transition opportunity after a turnover, while "play out of defense" fits with a more patient style that wants to build from the back gradually (i.e. less transition-oriented and more possession-oriented). I don't really know what your preference (quick transition vs. patient possession) is, so I can't tell you which one you need to change exactly, but the instructions are kind of contradicting one another.

Like I said though, it seems like you're getting decent results so I don't know if you really need my rambling gibberish "help".

All advice is very welcome. Makes sense to take out Play out of Defense, i usually always put it in my tactics. it'0s a default setting in my head. gotta change

Looks good! That's a strange looking shape up top but i love seeing a weird looking system work, and I regularly use asymmetrical formations.

How is Ramsey doing in the Mezzala role? He (and potentially Monreal) look like the only weak links in the first team. If you're looking at bolstering up your defensive side, I'd be tempted to get someone like Lewis Cook in and use him as a Carrilero to cover off the side spaces towards your flanks. BUt if you're happy with a 'score one more than you' system (most of us are!) then keep going!

Updated results and Player Stats
View attachment 62783 View attachment 62782 View attachment 62781 View attachment 62780

They've both been good. But Bought Seri because he's just an awesome Mezzala, And i will definitely be getting an Athletic Carrilero next season for away games and when i need to tighten up.

I usually hate conceding goals but with this tactic i just seem to be scoring goals for fun (126 Goals in 41 Games) so i just enjoy what i do on the offensive end, kinda forgetting there's the another half

An update on this...

I came 4th in the first season, badly falling off in the latter half of the season. I won the Community Shield, FA Cup, and got to the 1/4 final of the Europa League. My defence was quite leaky so that's where I invested for the 2nd season. I changed the F9 to a CF for the 2nd season, and made a reverse of the tactic for when playing a side with weaker left side. Mertesacker retired after the first season, which was a big loss as he was brilliant.

First season I brought in Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Wallace and Kasper Dolberg for the first team. For the second season, Ederson was unhappy at Man City so I asked the board to get him, then straight after they gave me another £86m (???) so I brought in Romagnoli, and Lewis Cook for when I need to be a touch more defensive in midfield. The names with the * are young prospects my scouts found.

The second season was unexpectedly amazing. I won the Community Shield, the League, and the Champions League. It took until game 24 before I lost, ending up losing 4, drawing 1, and having 100 points. On the way to winning the CL, I beat Juventus, Man United, and Porto. Cech retired at the end so I'm on the hunt for a young goalkeeper.

Mkhitaryan has been a monster, linking up amazingly with the strikers. Ozil has been inconsistent, so I brought in Toni Kroos in the off season (41m up front, 20m a season for 3 seasons). I'm focussing on youth development for the next two seasons, as I've got a first team pushing the 30s in areas (Koscielny and Monreal 33, Ozil 30, Aubemayang 30).

Here's some pictures.
View attachment 57146
View attachment 57143
View attachment 57142
View attachment 57141
View attachment 57140
View attachment 57135

An update on this...

I came 4th in the first season, badly falling off in the latter half of the season. I won the Community Shield, FA Cup, and got to the 1/4 final of the Europa League. My defence was quite leaky so that's where I invested for the 2nd season. I changed the F9 to a CF for the 2nd season, and made a reverse of the tactic for when playing a side with weaker left side. Mertesacker retired after the first season, which was a big loss as he was brilliant.

First season I brought in Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Wallace and Kasper Dolberg for the first team. For the second season, Ederson was unhappy at Man City so I asked the board to get him, then straight after they gave me another £86m (???) so I brought in Romagnoli, and Lewis Cook for when I need to be a touch more defensive in midfield. The names with the * are young prospects my scouts found.

The second season was unexpectedly amazing. I won the Community Shield, the League, and the Champions League. It took until game 24 before I lost, ending up losing 4, drawing 1, and having 100 points. On the way to winning the CL, I beat Juventus, Man United, and Porto. Cech retired at the end so I'm on the hunt for a young goalkeeper.

Mkhitaryan has been a monster, linking up amazingly with the strikers. Ozil has been inconsistent, so I brought in Toni Kroos in the off season (41m up front, 20m a season for 3 seasons). I'm focussing on youth development for the next two seasons, as I've got a first team pushing the 30s in areas (Koscielny and Monreal 33, Ozil 30, Aubemayang 30).

Here's some pictures.
View attachment 1157312
View attachment 1157315
View attachment 1157316
View attachment 1157317
View attachment 1157318
View attachment 1157323

hello what did you do about ois and training

An update on this...

Here's some pictures.
View attachment 1157312
View attachment 1157315
View attachment 1157316
View attachment 1157317
View attachment 1157318
View attachment 1157323

Could you upload your current version and the mirrored version? thanks!

Training - main focus was on team cohesion, with the assistant manager taking control of weekly training assignments for the team depending on who we were facing. I kept the same backroom team, adding a couple of young coaches and physios to look after the U23/U18 teams.

I'll upload the tactics when I get in from work.

Well that was an unnecessarily long assed day.

See attached for tweaked, and mirrored. Let's see your results!