Major computer problem

prow07

Reaction score
Okay so my sister's computer had a virus, so she asked me to fix it, but i cant. I assume that this virus has messed about with files and registry keys, because i can only run programs by right clicking on them and running as the administrator.

Now this is the confusing part...
- I CAN run Internet Explorer without the 'run as administrator' option.... Sort of;)
- As soon as it opens, it closes and comes up with the box, as if you are installing a program, but the program that it is trying to install is 'iexplore.exe' which (correct me if i'm wrong) is the program im trying to use, internet explorer.
- So i clicked no, and opened internet explorer using run as admin, and it opens without this problem, but i have encountered another one.
- Despite being connected to my router, the laptop cannot go to any website, and obviously says 'I.E. cannot display the page', (I'm on my own laptop connected to the same router, so it's not a broadband problem).
- So i checked the recent history to see if she had been on any dodgy websites, and i notice a folder named 'Computer', so i clicked that and the addresses were not websites, they were more like links to her 'AppData' folder, and it looks like it has messed about and replaced files in there to do with AVG Anti Virus.
- So when i clicked them, it says the file could not be found, but...
- I ran a scan using AVG earlier on and it picked up 2 viruses, an unknown virus and a trojan, called Kryptic, so i moved them to the vault as you do. And this is where i am lost..

- After searching about the internet on my own laptop, i have found nothing useful what so ever, so, my plan is to ask, does anyone out there in the FM world know anything about this Kryptic virus? Or have you ever experienced a problem where you can only run things through 'run as administrator'? Any help would be excellent... i am so P****d off at the moment, because i had to fix my dad's computer yesterday as well, luck is just not on my side XD

From what I've read, it's a real nasty piece of work. You can get it from a normal google ad-but don't even have to click on it. Thing is, once it's in the system, some anti-viruses can't react quick enough to pick it up, and bang-it's in there, and opened a back door for hackers. Real nasty

Yeah, really bad, it wont even let me install that program, so i'll have to do it manually, its disabled windows security center as well :mad:

"Recently I attempted to download a program on a new install of windows; the minute I did I got attacked with a barrage of viruses, this kryptic virus was copying itself and downloading viruses by creating false files and infecting existing files all over my computer. Within seconds I had over 20 infections all over my computer, even on alternate hard drives. I did a full system scan using nod32 and then did a system restore"

Wow. It can copy itself incredibly fast. Explains why anti-virus couldn't get hold of it. Hope I never come across it-so far Norton has kept my laptop 100% virus free. Just hope it can pick this little sod though.

I couldn't remove it manually, so i restored the system to what it was a week ago.. i can open programs and go on the internet now, so it seems to have fixed it, just hope that it doesnt come back, thanks for your help :)

I couldn't remove it manually, so i restored the system to what it was a week ago.. i can open programs and go on the internet now, so it seems to have fixed it, just hope that it doesnt come back, thanks for your help :)

No probs-glad its sorted. Also glad aware of this now too-gonna be bit more vigilant from now on.