Major League Soccer (America) rule help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Paul*

Reaction score
The MLS rules are really confusing, in my opinion, and I was hoping someone - maybe an American - could clear them up for me.

The main rule I don't get is the 'drafts' and I'm confused at most of the player/signing rules. I understand you can only have 3 high-earners (e.g. David Beckham, Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane for LA Galaxy) and that there is a wage cap (not sure about the limits) but that's about it for transfers.

I also understand that they split the league into two, and the winner of each league plays each other in a Play-Off to see who is the MLS champion.

So, does anyone understand the rules and would kindly explain them to me (sort of an idiots guide)? I want to manage New York Red Bulls in America, but I don't understand the rules properly so I can't until they are explained to me.

Thanks,
*Paul*

Last edited:
Yea i'll explain them too you. Im not 100% sure which rules you want to know more about but i'll give it a go.

The draft you are talking about is how the MLS teams get their youngsters in. Whereas in England we train up players from as young as 8, the mls do it differently. They have a draft each year where they can pick a player from college to join the team. Your pick is usually determined by where you finish in the league ie worst team has a better chance of getting one of the first picks.

In terms of buying players, mls teams like to trade players. You'll see when you bid for a player from another mls team that you can trade away picks, designated player spots along with cash to get a player.

Your designated players are the ones whom you can offer a greater wage to. Their salary does not count against your salary cap.

Those are the basics really. there isnt too much to worry about. Just play and you'll figure it out.

Yea i'll explain them too you. Im not 100% sure which rules you want to know more about but i'll give it a go.

The draft you are talking about is how the MLS teams get their youngsters in. Whereas in England we train up players from as young as 8, the mls do it differently. They have a draft each year where they can pick a player from college to join the team. Your pick is usually determined by where you finish in the league ie worst team has a better chance of getting one of the first picks.

In terms of buying players, mls teams like to trade players. You'll see when you bid for a player from another mls team that you can trade away picks, designated player spots along with cash to get a player.

Your designated players are the ones whom you can offer a greater wage to. Their salary does not count against your salary cap.

Those are the basics really. there isnt too much to worry about. Just play and you'll figure it out.
Cheers mate, but could you elaborate on the transfer bidding process.

So if I offer a designated player slot to say, Toronto, do they get to have 4 designated players? I have a few more questions: what is an away pick? How do you choose your draft on FM, do you know? And why are there different player contracts/types on the game, could you maybe explain them?

Thanks a lot for your help, though, and if you choose not to reply to my questions, don't worry about it.

should know mate that the mls is ****** up in game, really brings out how bad A.I is in terms of transfers....its fun for a season, mayb 2 but just becomes unplayable after that.

really brings out how bad A.I is in terms of transfers....its fun for a season, mayb 2 but just becomes unplayable after that.

What do you mean? do they get all the good players or what? Never really played the MLS on FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.