partyparkins

Reaction score
Hi. I am a championship manager/football manager veteran, playing since 95, however I am in desperate need of some help!

I cannot get my teams to win on FM16, not at all. It is winding me up massively. I don't get the new team instructions, much prefer the old layout. I've had players tell me my management is terrible and all sorts :S Considering in 20 years I've never been sacked, this is a bit of a shock to the system...I think this is how Mourinho must be feeling now haha!

So yeh... I've been Everton and Spurs and languishing with both around the 14th mark.

Anyone got any ideas? Help with tactics? I tend to play 4-2-3-1 home, 4-2DM-1-2-1 away or something similar...just a more defensive version of the same tactic.
My strikers seem to miss sooooo many chances, its ridiculous...

Thanks in advance!

Tell me about it. I've been playing since the very first Champ Manager and i have found that the last 3 or 4 FM's have been really difficult.
It seems that whatever knowledge i have gained from playing the game all these years has just left me, as if i had dementia.
Nothing seems to work for me with my Nottm Forest team, and Assombalonga misses loads of shots on target. On average i get 10 shots with 2 on target per game.
And why do my players dally on the ball when they are taking shots? it seem like an eternity when they are lining up a shot only to get closed down by a defender from the opposite team.
And out of desperation i have tried some plug & play tactics which claims it is the best, only 6 months down the line after using it i find myself relegated from the Prem.

Hi. I am a championship manager/football manager veteran, playing since 95, however I am in desperate need of some help!

I cannot get my teams to win on FM16, not at all. It is winding me up massively. I don't get the new team instructions, much prefer the old layout. I've had players tell me my management is terrible and all sorts :S Considering in 20 years I've never been sacked, this is a bit of a shock to the system...I think this is how Mourinho must be feeling now haha!

So yeh... I've been Everton and Spurs and languishing with both around the 14th mark.

Anyone got any ideas? Help with tactics? I tend to play 4-2-3-1 home, 4-2DM-1-2-1 away or something similar...just a more defensive version of the same tactic.
My strikers seem to miss sooooo many chances, its ridiculous...

Thanks in advance!

I was very much in the same boat, really struggled with my first few saves and found myself getting very frustrated, especially with my teams possession (averaging 40% with Arsenal). However I have recently changed my approach to the game and have since found that in general my teams performances have been much better.

First thing I would say is that like yourself, I have always had a tendency to have my preferred tactics that I use no matter who my choice of team is, as they have always worked for me in the past. I have learned with FM16 it is much more beneficial to find out the tactics that best suit your team, rather than building your team around your tactics.

Also, don't be afraid to think outside the box tactically, I was recently struggling for results until I decided to make a drastic change and play a 2-3-3-2, I pushed my defensive line up high and played offside trap, worked a treat and won 10 in a row. I have also found that asymmetric formations work much better on FM16 then they did before, so don't always necessarily play with the traditional 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1.

The only other thing I can say that I found immensely useful was to take full advantage of the friendlies to find out the best formation/tactics that works for your team. Watch each game in full, I know it's long but I did this and ironed out all of my issues within the first 3 friendlies. I used to just smash through friendlies with my 'usual' tactics and just focus on fitness and transfers, but taking a in-depth look into your teams performances is massively helpful.

You may not find any of this useful but as I said I was feeling the same as you, I took the above actions and I am achieving much better results now..

Do people play with massively different formations at home and away? If I try and use the same formation away that I use at home I usually end up in trouble.

Do people play with massively different formations at home and away? If I try and use the same formation away that I use at home I usually end up in trouble.
I use exactly the same tactic and formation for all games. Seeing it as home and away is pointless. I'll just make changes based on what's happening in a match.

I use exactly the same tactic and formation for all games. Seeing it as home and away is pointless. I'll just make changes based on what's happening in a match.

Which starting philosophy do you use?

Do you not find it difficult to score goals at home with a standard philosophy?
No I'm not. But that's also why I said that I make adjustments IN-MATCH. If I find that we need to take a few more risks, I switch to Control.

I've noticed that using the same tactic lead to better results. It seems that the team plays better if that use the same system over and over again.

Ofc during the match i change things, but in general i don't change home or away, even mentality (i use attack).

I've noticed that using the same tactic lead to better results. It seems that the team plays better if that use the same system over and over again.

Ofc during the match i change things, but in general i don't change home or away, even mentality (i use attack).

Every time I've switched to attack, even at home, the opposition seems to just score at will.

Every time I've switched to attack, even at home, the opposition seems to just score at will.
Well that's the danger with going more attacking. Players take more risks, so you risk being more open and countered as well.

Well that's the danger with going more attacking. Players take more risks, so you risk being more open and countered as well.

Yeah I get that.

I'm just a little frustrated because I'm desperately lacking consistency. I was going to start a new thread asking for advice but for some reason the forum thinks my OP is too long so I can't.

Yeah I get that.

I'm just a little frustrated because I'm desperately lacking consistency. I was going to start a new thread asking for advice but for some reason the forum thinks my OP is too long so I can't.
That'll depend on the tactic, but I'm sure you're aware that you can't just click continue and win game after game.

Tbf, if you're OP was longer that "Waht taktic for arsenal?" then I understand why it bombed. OPs here are short and lack info. :mad:

If you need to, break it up into more than one post. As long as the info is there. :)

That'll depend on the tactic, but I'm sure you're aware that you can't just click continue and win game after game.

Tbf, if you're OP was longer that "Waht taktic for arsenal?" then I understand why it bombed. OPs here are short and lack info. :mad:

If you need to, break it up into more than one post. As long as the info is there. :)

I don't expect to walk every game, but I just can't spot any patterns with my results, so I don't know what to rectify.

I'll try splitting my post up and doing it a bit at a time, thanks.

The only other issue is that I can't seem to post links either, so I can't post the links to images of my tactics etc. Do you know a way around this by any chance?

I don't expect to walk every game, but I just can't spot any patterns with my results, so I don't know what to rectify.

I'll try splitting my post up and doing it a bit at a time, thanks.

The only other issue is that I can't seem to post links either, so I can't post the links to images of my tactics etc. Do you know a way around this by any chance?
Possibly because you're new. I don't know what your post count needs to be for you to be able to. Can always raise it here: Site Support & Comments

Otherwise, just type it out for now.

You could always download a proven tactic, takes away some of the joy on the game tho.. the most enjoyable way of playing is adapting to the situation, first of all, look what "meat" you've got in your team, strong, tall players? Or fast, agile and technical? All this influences how you set up the instructions for your team to perform at their maximum.

Poacher this year doesn't seem to work well, for me atleast, I use shadow striker, defensive forward and a deep lying forward (who scores a lot for me)

And 3 at the back is almost not do-able, crosses are really op this year, u need to work with wingbacks/fullbacks, they can be placed on the midfield area as long as they help in defending.. but that's my experience and how I've built my tactics.

I prefer "overload", but I'm testing counter mentality atm, which seems the way to go atm.