Making my first tiki taka tactic with a ball winning playmaker!

rdonnell

Reaction score
Hey all im just starting this thread and will update it later with my tactic.Im looking for a few tips on some problems i have been running into though.The main aim of the tactic is to keep shape in attack and defence and dominate posession while stopping opponents from playing thier game through fouls and closing down.The team needs to be trained to have play one two and short passing as preferred moves.

The various formations i tried never seemed to quite work as well as the 4-3-3 with the DM in the MC starting position so im using it as a base for my Liverpool save.I since found that while i lack cover against an AMC and cannot get players to shift forwrd into each others positions i decided to just set my midfield player to a DMC/AMC all in one.I set him to roaming,high freedom,defensive mentality fwd runs often,run with ball and through balls and he picks up the amc when the ball is lost and will be the playmaker when in posession.It works fantastic! Right now im using Gerrard in this role and he has been a beast covering all the pitch flying into tackles and getting into the box.I would describe the person in this role as a deep and advanced playmaker all in one with ball winning being part of his game also.The distance he will cover is immense so he needs high agression,workrate and natural fitness.The real secret to getting him to be the ball winner was to have him man mark the AMC with hard tackling.I have saw him flying back to pick up the amc from near the opponents box once and luckily run past someone just recieveing the ball and took it right from them and took it right back up the pitch on his own.

The overall passing im very pleased about and without the tactic even geling and with morale going from good to quite low i was pleasured by the slick passing and movement but my defence has serious issues that i need help with. Do i use offside trap? Do i use tight marking? I tried closing down on both my CB to own area and one (carragher) hard tackling tight marking (agger) easy tackling and not using tight marking and they are still dumb.I had 70% posession in the europa league game and drew 2-2 with some shocking defending.I recorded all three CM's with over 100 passes each though!

Last edited:
¨deep and advanced playmaker all in one with ball winning being part of his game¨ are you not better off with just setting him as a box to box midfielder then?

It's hard to give any advice on the defense without seeing how you are set-up. If you are pushing forward then yes, I would play offside. :)

If you are setting a tiki-taka tactic your defense line will have to be set very high, so I guess offside trap is unnecessary but your two CB must have different roles. I do not use offside trap and it works just fine.

I also use a DM, a DLP and a AP all three with different roles

Yea i forgot to say that the i converted the tactic to classic mode so there are no ballwinners just sliders but i took most of the setup from a fluid control tactic creation which used roughly 16 as backline so its high up and the player roles based on trequesta striker two inside forwards and a midfield three of two central mids on defend duty and a ballwinner whom i converted to my playmaker as a man marking creative roamer type person via classic mode adjustments.

Think yaya toure/gerrard but ideally with more flair,speed short passing ability.

I guess its hard to explain until i upload the average positions and formation so u can have a peek.I might give the offside trap a go though and i do have my defenders on different roles.As i said sadly one is meant to cover one comes out to tackle and they both are supposed to be semicreative but ive noy touched any setting on em apart from run with ball sometimes as they re meant to be comfortable bringing the ball out of defence instead of hoofing.

Yea i forgot to say that the i converted the tactic to classic mode so there are no ballwinners just sliders but i took most of the setup from a fluid control tactic creation which used roughly 16 as backline so its high up and the player roles based on trequesta striker two inside forwards and a midfield three of two central mids on defend duty and a ballwinner whom i converted to my playmaker as a man marking creative roamer type person via classic mode adjustments.

Think yaya toure/gerrard but ideally with more flair,speed short passing ability.

I guess its hard to explain until i upload the average positions and formation so u can have a peek.I might give the offside trap a go though and i do have my defenders on different roles.As i said sadly one is meant to cover one comes out to tackle and they both are supposed to be semicreative but ive noy touched any setting on em apart from run with ball sometimes as they re meant to be comfortable bringing the ball out of defence instead of hoofing.

You can also try setting one to zonal/tight yes and one to man/tight yes. That way one will jump the ball carrier and one will get on him as soon as he enters his area. Sometime this leaves you open for 1-2's though but it can be quite effective against through balls. It depends on how you get your goals against.

Not sure I why but I feel more confortable with TC tactics :)
I am using a 3 tactic system: Contain, Control and Attack, all fluid, all with high defense line, pressing more, short passing (set to 0), all with high possession, although with Contain I have even more possession (70-75 then in 2nd half of matches going down to 65).

Also i had a question on the ballwinners man marking too.He is set at closing down own area hard tackling man marking the amc if they play 4-2-3-1 but i must check if that is putting off my other players whom might close him down also which unless the ballwinner is stuck out of position in the other half i dont want.

I could set the amc in opponent instruction to close down never right? And keep my ballwinner man marking him with his normal settings with tight marking.

What would the outcome be? No one will close down the amc but the ballwinner? Sorry i havent got much experience with the match engine and its perks and settings sadly :(

Not sure I why but I feel more confortable with TC tactics :)
I am using a 3 tactic system: Contain, Control and Attack, all fluid, all with high defense line, pressing more, short passing (set to 0), all with high possession, although with Contain I have even more possession (70-75 then in 2nd half of matches going down to 65).

Short passing zero really? Sorry for my flood of posts but im really interested if so low is proper? I use around 4-5 on my passing and did notice the odd long ball which made me mad and question if i should lower one notch.I tended to think that any shorter was too short and a lot of my passes fell short of my players and was a lost ball.

I never set it to 0 but then I guess it comes down to creative freedom?

I'm managing FC Porto and players have medium / good skills so I guess I can rely that my players will make good decisions (CF) beyond the individual instructions I have set. So, although passing is set to zero and since they have a good amount of CF and the proper preferred moves training it is with some frequency that they make medium range passes if they see a space.

A lot of people seems to devalued preferred moves when they are essential to players no matter you are playing a possession style or some other

Well, when you have to insult others to prove you have a point the obvious conclusion is that you don't

http://depositfiles.com/files/fq3krv5ra

View attachment 324602

This is my tactic upload for now so people can view the basic sliders and such.I am still working on it and have not even tested with full tactic fluidity or very good morale so it needs feedback and adjustments in defence for sure.The mc must be set to man mark the amc also if testing.The MC should also be the playmaker and MCR the freekick taker.You need playmakers like silva on the wings and two xavi's in midfield also.The striker is a good passing trequista.

Ive taken off tight marking on both defenders to see how it goes.I also noticed a few long balls from my defenders which ****** me off and my fullbacks are crossing also which ive forbidden them to do with low creative freedom and no crossing.I also cant get my corners to work.I set it to short passing yet they wont pass it to the person who comes short and i dont know if this is due to tactic being not quite fluid or just a bug?

Last edited:
Its no good sigh :( I really despise this engine and how complicated it is to get a team to keep the ball in the opponents half without going for goal all the time... Ive tried lots of damm combinations and nothing works.My posession was only 50% v swansea due to michu in AMC and goals going thru my defence via one twos and everton simply closed me down too much on slow and short passing.I think i need to move to quick tempo and somehow stagger my forward 3 mentality so they pass sidways and not always try for goals.I cant really drop my striket to normal tho as its too deep and the whole team tends to also play deep with low mentality. So low mentality is too deep time wasting makes them stand on ball too much slow tempo means the ball lacks pace and gets closed down quick tempo means too much going for goal Its a shame as im stumped now... and my DM/AMC is still doing amazing.In my first 5 league matches he had 4 goals and weither it be diaby or the other french conq guy at arsenal they both played like animals and had ratings of 8+ every single game! I cannot imagine what a custom trained regen could do in that role....scary

Last edited: