Reaction score
This is gonna probably be a long post but I'm hoping for some advice with this...as I generally think I'm going to possibly get some roles wrong and hoping people could shed their views into how they would do it.

To summarise I want to portray how I play FIFA, into FM.

To quickly summarise as this helps with probably the base settings of the side. On FIFA I play a 4231 (the one with 3 CAM's in FIFA terms, so I could either use in FM 4231 2 DM's or 2 CM's then AML,AMR,AMC or 3 AMC's). When I play FIFA I always look to keep the ball (although it doesn't always mean the best results, it is just how I play, I'd say on average I would have 55-65% possession).

Now to explain how I see this in FM. I've personally thought the best option is to use AML, AMC and AMR and not 3 AMC's, this is because with the 3 on FIFA, I tend to mix up how they play, I sometimes push out wide, I sometimes cut inside, I tend to do more with one than the other, so in one team I have the 3 in this is Lamela, Bojan and Lanzini. Lamela tends to push out wide and cross more, while Lanzini is more likely to cut inside (although they may sometimes do the opposite, I still find they do one slightly more.) while Bojan who is the middle of the 3, I tend to use to play 1-2's with the striker and he tries to get into the box as well feed the ball to the two either side of him. As a result I think having a winger on one side, then the other could be an IF or maybe an AP or maybe even the Raumdeter. The 2 DM's or CM's, whichever I use I see slightly like this, 1 I like to stay back at all times, not push forward and attack, literally just defend, while the other one I like to push up a little bit and also be good at passing, as he will be the person I look to start my attacks.

Defensively this is what I feel I do, I press really heavy with the main striker, while the AMC will push to help the ST, the two wider players I tend to try to press the opposing FB, the two CDM's are slightly different, one I might press with while I try to make sure one is always shielding my defence. I wouldn't say I press heavily with my defenders, I try to just stay goal side of the attacker in my half especially while one of the CB's I like to be ready to drop deeper to cover the rest.

As a result this is how I think it could look in terms of FM

GK - Defend. I considered using a Sweeper Keeper in this, but I don't really use my keeper much other than to catch the ball. However, when I play FIFA I do tend to throw the ball to my full backs, so to match this I will give him the PI distribute to full backs.

CB - Cover. This is probably the role I see that covers how I have said I defend. One defender ready to drop into a gap to cover my defenders, be it a full back or the other CB partner.

CB - Defend. This is the partner for him, I don't think I do anything special with him at all, he is literally there to stop the attacker/s getting through. I did consider BPD, as I do tend to pass with them but then this gets them to try riskier passes, something I do not do as they tend to just give the ball to full backs, DM's to start the attack but provide an option for the players to pass to when I'm trying to just keep the ball.

LB - Full Back - Support. When I play with my full backs, I tend to use them to offer width to my team, but I don't like them being too attacking, I see them doing a lot defensively, while a little bit in attack, provide a passing option and cross the ball. (I do wonder if CWB/S could suit this more, but I'm not sure)

RB - Exactly the same as the above.

CDM - Anchor - Defend. This again is how I see what I explained above, the midfielder that just sits back and wins the ball and keeps it simple, I don't expect him to be a presence in attack other than a pass backwards for players to use should they need it. Although because I don't have attacking full backs, he could be more of a BWM/D that way he sits back, but he goes around trying to win the ball back when we lose position (I might mix this role depending on who I play against, weaker teams, BWM, tougher teams Anchor, it's one I want to watch in a lot of detail as I could find DM/D covers this too)

CDM - DLP - Support. This is the player who I would say is causing me the most problems. I see him on FIFA as my workhorse in terms of doing everything, I like this player to be good at passing but I do find he gets forward but is ready to get back at all times too when we lose the ball. This is why I'm questioning the choice, I do wonder could I be better pushing him up to a CM position and having him as a BBM, it's a tough one for me to really decide on, I see him more as a DLP, as I do get annoyed with how far forward he gets on FIFA so maybe this role would be better, or maybe even on a defend duty so he sits just like I wish he would do more.

AML - IF - Attack. I think I have this role right, I want him to cut inside a lot, which this role has, but on an attack duty I've noticed crossing becomes an attribute to this so therefore he should in theory push out wide sometimes soon.

AMR - Winger - Support. This is another role I'm questioning, ideally I want him to be more like a winger and push out wide and cross, yet at the same time, I wouldn't mind if he does cut inside a little bit, it's more of a tough one, I do wonder if on an attack duty he might cut in a little bit too, although I imagine on attack, he will be more inclined to go to the byline which would rule out an option of cutting inside.

AMC - Attacking Midfielder - Attack. I'm not set on this role, as I do see this player as the sides main creator, which would make me think AP or Treq, but they offer much less in terms of a goal threat. Which drew me to the AM/A that way he will look to link up with the ST a lot to get himself into the box. However I have seen the AP/A score a fair few goals before so this role could be the one, I'm not really sure again.

ST - This is the one I have no idea on, I really struggle with ST's on FM in general and I think that is because I'm not the best at reading exactly how the role would fit. I want the striker to be the leader of my line sothis makes me think AF/A or maybe even a poacher as I do see him as the main goal scorer. However I also see him as the person who feeds the 3 behind him in various ways, which makes me think DLF or F9, maybe as a result it would suit a CF on Support or Attack, I'm not sure, this is one I'd love to hear your opinions on?

So that's the positions mostly sorted. Team Instructions, the only one I can think I need is Pass Shorter, I prefer shorter passing but I wouldn't say that I don't cross or switch the play, it's just I probably would look for a shorter pass first. The only other instruction I can think could come into play is higher tempo, as I wouldn't say I move the ball slowly when I'm playing well, but I'm thinking I don't always play at a high tempo, sometimes I will slow down. The other instruction I'm thinking of is prevent short GK distribution, but again I may leave this off as I sometimes like the player to play it short and then pressure with the front player to make a mistake happen.

Mentality, at the moment I'm edging towards Standard, it's not often the one I would go for, but I would say I don't see myself as an attacking team or a defensive team, I see myself as someone who tries to play a certain way without being one or the other, I would only think I change it if I noticed one person was struggling against my attack or if I was struggling defensively, then my mentality would change to suit it.

Team shape I'm guessing it's going to be Flexible, although I might opt for Structured as I want my players to play in a specific way but not limit their freedom too much.

Lastly player instructions, I don't think I'll have many of these other than the following.
GK - Distribute to full backs
AML, AMC, AMR - Close down more
ST - Close down much more

Has anyone got any ideas on if how I've described the players, that I have the roles correct and especially any help with the ST role would be amazing, also the CDM who I question might be a CM.

I haven't been able to test this yet from being at work, but I thought I'd try and make sure with you guys, that I have the idea in my head correct in FM terminology at least as this gives me a platform to start with, once I test it properly then I'll let you all know how it worked!

With an Advanced Forward they are the focal point of the team but that isn't to say they won't bring others into play. You could maybe tell your forward to shoot less often so he looks to bring the 3 behind him into play unless in a really good position to score. I'd be weary of having 2 CDMs as this could open up a large gap between these 2 and your 3 AMs, maybe consider an asymetric CDM (anchor) and a DLP (def/sup) playing in CM instead to fill this space and offer a link through the entire team.

The rest of your logic seems sound enough, I guess it's a case of testing it out and tweaking your touchline instructions to find the right balance.

With an Advanced Forward they are the focal point of the team but that isn't to say they won't bring others into play. You could maybe tell your forward to shoot less often so he looks to bring the 3 behind him into play unless in a really good position to score. I'd be weary of having 2 CDMs as this could open up a large gap between these 2 and your 3 AMs, maybe consider an asymetric CDM (anchor) and a DLP (def/sup) playing in CM instead to fill this space and offer a link through the entire team.

The rest of your logic seems sound enough, I guess it's a case of testing it out and tweaking your touchline instructions to find the right balance.
Thanks torres555. I think the two you've mentioned are the main two that I don't think I've got spot on right, I am toying with the idea of the CDM/CM combo. Forwards I always seem to struggle with unless I have a 2 striker formation, but I never use this on FIFA either so wanted to push for this style more!

AMC - Attacking Midfielder - Attack. I'm not set on this role, as I do see this player as the sides main creator, which would make me think AP or Treq, but they offer much less in terms of a goal threat. Which drew me to the AM/A that way he will look to link up with the ST a lot to get himself into the box. However I have seen the AP/A score a fair few goals before so this role could be the one, I'm not really sure again.

Getting the AM right in a 4-2-3-1 is crucial. He's the key to the formation, imo. The AP may be less of a goal threat, but don't underestimate the Trequartista. He's a bit of everything, although not a penetrative runner like an AM/A or SS/A would be.

ST - This is the one I have no idea on, I really struggle with ST's on FM in general and I think that is because I'm not the best at reading exactly how the role would fit. I want the striker to be the leader of my line sothis makes me think AF/A or maybe even a poacher as I do see him as the main goal scorer. However I also see him as the person who feeds the 3 behind him in various ways, which makes me think DLF or F9, maybe as a result it would suit a CF on Support or Attack, I'm not sure, this is one I'd love to hear your opinions on?

This role would depend on what you choose as your AM, or vice versa.

If you're going to have an AM/A or SS/A (who make penetrating runs from deep), they would need the space to do so. Normally, a striker dropping deep will do the trick.

A tip - if you choose your striker to drop deep centrally, ask the SS/A or AM/A to move into channels - either side of the striker. The opposite can work too. A striker can drop deep and wider, pulling a defender wide with him. That opens the middle for a run through.

If you're going to have a tactic which attacks mainly in the transition phase, an AF/A + SS/A or AM/A could work. In theory, the AF/A usually pulls very wide early on in moves (the transition phases) so that'll open masses of space for someone to exploit, basically on the counter. It's quite attacking though, so watch it bunch up if the transition attack doesn't work and the opposition gets back into their defensive shape. So the setup isn't incredibly balanced, but can definitely work.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas. :)

Well from testing it so far (only one game), from what I settled on this was the line up

----------GK/D
FB/S CD/D CD/C FB/S

-----------A/D
-------------DLP/S
W/S -----AP/A----IF/A
----------DLF/A

With TI of shorter passing, nothing else. And then I made the mentality Standard as this sat with how I envisioned it while also using the Structured shape, the reason for this was I was finding the FB's would receive the ball from the keeper and then seemed to look long to the ST instead of a simple pass down the line or inside, despite the pass being there, but changing to Structured seemed to resolve this (will try going back to flexible once they are familiar with the tactic to see if it changes possibly), then the PI's are GK with distribute to full backs, AML AMC and AMR with close down more and the ST with close down much more, as this is where I want the main pressing to happen.

I found when I play Fifa I often used to play the striker in to his feet who would then thread the ball through to one of the other 3 behind him and then make a run into the box. I found with an AF/A he as should would stay on the CB's of the opposition, which wasn't too bad, but that in no way was how I wanted him to play, in the end I found the DLF dropped to receive the ball, passed it and then got himself in the area or sometimes tried to make a shot for himself, although I'm going to test this with DLF/S as to see how the runs the player makes would vary.

I would say now from what I've seen my main question marks are looking to be over the DLP/S and the AP/A, I'm tempted to try some different roles for this player, I used an AM/A for part of it and it didn't look too bad but coupled with a DLF/A he seemed just too close to the ST and didn't find space, the AP/A found more space but then didn't do much in the time I tested it. I am very tempted to try a Trequarista too. I think I want him to create more than he scores so this role could be the perfect fit. I see it a bit like the Ozil of a team, will primarily be creating, but could chip in with the odd goal now and then. I see more goals coming from the ST and IF mostly, maybe a few from the winger too although he's mainly going to be crossing. With the DLP the main thing I'm wondering about is the PI they get automatically of Risky Passes Often, it has it's pros and cons, especially when there was an AF/A as he did try to find him a lot with a pass over the top of their defence, however it calmed down when the ST changed roles. So I might monitor this position and maybe amend it to BBM or CM/S depending which roles looks best.

I feel like in the general play however, the team mostly functioned how I have pictured it in my head.

The Anchor stayed just as needed and was looking to protect and win aerial battles. The CB/C was the one who has impressed me most, as he really does drop to help players double up.

All in all it looks like a good start to build from!