Reaction score
*edit... apologies to those that have seen this already. It was originally posted in the wrong place.

Alright folks,

Only a few short weeks until patch 13.3 comes out with all the glorious updates from the past transfer window, which means Newcastle are expected to be some force. Being a Newcastle fan I’ve been holding off starting a save until this is released and now with it expected soon I can not wait.

Potentially, this could my last NUFC save as I simply don’t have the time to commit to FM anymore so I want to go out with a real bang. With this in mind, my aim is simply to turn Newcastle United into the greatest football team of the 21st century, creating a dynasty to rival the likes of Manchester United & Liverpool as well as European giants such as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid & Barcelona.

Aims:
- Achieve Champions League qualification within the first two seasons
- Win the premier league within three seasons
- Champions League trophy within four seasons

Squad
Very little change to the squad in the first season. At most I’ll likely bring in a couple of youngsters to the youth team but apart from that the squad will largely remain untouched. Going forward, I will probably address areas such as the striker and the wings, however, this will likely depend on formation. One player I will be keeping an eye on is a certain Andy Carroll. The romantic inside me loves the idea of him returning to SJP and if the opportunity arises I will certainly be interested.

Traditionally, I’m not a big transfer spender and will likely focus on developing youth players and investing in regens with huge potential. With this in mind, the one player who will play a key role in the development of this save is the young Adam Campbell.

I’ve read a lot of very exciting posts around this lad on the FM13 Forums and have therefore made it one of my key objectives to blood this youngster and turn him into the greatest goal scorer NUFC have ever seen. I know tommonufc has had some really good success with Campbell and I’m really excited about this lad leading my attack. Most likely I’ll use him as a poacher as I understand this is his best position, with Cisse tutoring him in the first few seasons, and blooding him from very earlier on in the game. One question I do have is over his training. My plan is to set him up on heavy training under poacher. Is there a risk he’ll burn out? What is the best approach to take in terms of training him?

Other youngsters I will focus on is young Remie Streete, who provided a decent squad player in FM12, as well as Sammy Ameobi and Gael Bigirimana. I’m prepared to give players like Vuckic, Ferguson and Good a chance in cup games but from previous experience I’ve found they’ve always struggled to step up. The dream however, is a Geordie strike force of Carroll and Campbell leading us to glory, however my preferred tactical approach might prevent this.

As for the dispensable players, again I won’t be making huge changes initially but likely Ranger and Williamson, will be heading out the door.

Tactics
From my observations the tactics that look like it will best suited for NUFC will be 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Currently I’m having very good success with Modern Warefare with a Wycombe Wanderers save, however, in order to get the most out of NUFC I think either of these would serve best. Traditionally, I have favoured the classic tactics largely a 4-4-2, pushing the wide men further ahead, however, I think this tactic seems to of had it’s day and am keen to really push ahead with a tactic which would see Cisse as a poacher supported by HBA and Gouffran and a midfield encompassing Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko. Again a message to the masses, have people enjoyed much success with this tactic?

Tactics
From my observations the tactics that look like it will best suited for NUFC will be 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Currently I’m having very good success with Modern Warefare with a Wycombe Wanderers save, however, in order to get the most out of NUFC I think either of these would serve best. Traditionally, I have favoured the classic tactics largely a 4-4-2, pushing the wide men further ahead, however, I think this tactic seems to of had it’s day and am keen to really push ahead with a tactic which would see Cisse as a poacher supported by HBA and Gouffran and a midfield encompassing Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko. Again a message to the masses, have people enjoyed much success with this tactic?

You could try a 4-2-3-1 with them,Probably their best suited formation.Try my akash777s 4-2-3-1 if you want since its based on the Modern Warfare tactic.
Dont sell Williamson as he provides a good solid defender.He is pretty decent in the game and unless you get in someone like Tomkins or Liverpools Wilson/Kelly.Dont sell him.
Ferguson is prettty half decent down the left flank.Like his stats wont ever let him be a great player.But he can rape any team down the left on his day.And so is a keeper.
Vuckic was also great in my time with them.But again him and the other two mentioned are basically players you play with in the first season and they should ideally play well and you then sell off for inflated fees and replace them!

Many thanks for your feedback guys. Really much appreciated.

Akash i'm a big fan of the modern warfare tactic so this sounds spot on. Do you have a link to this you could send me?

Actually not to worry, i've managed to track it down. Can't wait to get this going. All i need now is for Miles to upload 13.3 and i'm off!