Making Portsmouth Into A Big Club.....

RhodesyStoke

Reaction score
I started my game with Portsmouth and thought I'll give myself a challenge and see how big we can get. At the start of the season we owed 17.5M to the bank but it was to be paid off by January which is in hefty monthly rates. I was given 5M to spend and bought Beckham who has been a revelation. I have started well but have only had easy fixtures apart from Man United who I got a draw off. It's now the1st December and I am 4th in the league and about to play Everton who are 5th. I am confident of grabbing a win and pushing the gap and giving myself some space to fall back on when I play Chelsea Arsenal and Man United. I'm second highest scoring team in the league but Crouch can't score at all. I want to establish them as a big club and want to see if anyone else has managed it? Portsmouth was almost taken over at the start of the season and I was apparently going to be replaced by Glenn Hoddle!

Does anyone else want to join in this challenge?

Last edited:
Just played Ajax and won 5-1 with a Beckham hat-trick he is also on for European Player of the Year!

Screenies on their way!

Just lost 2-1 to Everton! :(

Not good :(

Not really aiming for Europe this year though. 5th or 6th I would be delighted with.

Last edited:
im trying to do it with aston villa m8 i have a thread about it

Wow, as a Portsmouth fan myself, I'm delighted to see you doing well, the best I got in the first season on 9.3 was 6th, I bought Milevskyi, sold Crouch in January coz he is awful lol. Then with that 15m (yes 15m lol) I bought Beckham for 3m lol, and got Steven Defour for 5m, then the rest helped the finances etc, I finished 6th but if I had of spent all of the 15m I think I would of challenged for 4th :p

You got 15M!!! :mad:

I don't have any change left after covering my wages. Distin wants to go but he is integral to my team.

Does anyone know how much/ how long / how well I will need to do to get a new stadium as expansion isn't possible.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Distin is 31 shall I just sell?

You can't get a "new" stadium, all you can do is an expansion of the current stadium, but the portsmouth council never lets you :( Don't sell Distin until the end of this season, then you can look at all options with a new season ahead.

Keep it up mate. I did it in 9.1 patch - turned Portsmouth into a consistent winning team. Won 8 Premierships and 3 European Cups in a 15 year period.

By the looks of things you'll eclipse my records with them. Demba Ba, Peter Crouch and Gyan Asamoah was my lighting partnership with Crouchy acting as a target man for the speedsters.

It's looking like I am going to finish around 9th. I am happy with that though as I have been unlucky with injuries and so may players are getting sent off!!! :(

And redstag did you get new stadium?

If you want a new stadium that bad you need to be getting a full stadium every match, pay of ALL of your debts off and hopefully after a couple of seasons the board will decide to build one.

I want more revenue. I don't think I can become a big club without that extra revenue.

I got Pompey Stadium but not for several years. I sold most of my big names, I only ever bought wonderkids desribed on this website, players whose contracts were expiring or transfer listed players.

Obviously my team changed over the seasons but Gyan Asamoah, John Fleck, Camacho, Mathias Fernandez were all key players.

re: new stadium put it from your mind. It will be seveal years of European football before the board realise Fratton Park is too small and the newer Pompey stadium (that I got) was only about 10,000 more seats. Find other ways to improve finances - Arsenal style transfer tactics, removing appearances fees and doubling goal/clean sheet bonuses. E.g. I gave Begovic (turns out very nice) a 6,000 bonus per clean sheet but removed his 2,000 appearance fee. Saved me money and gave him an incentive to do well.

Don't worry mate, 9th is still good, Portsmouth is a hard team to get the best out of, just get one or two big names in the summer and get them to gel and you'll be top 7 at least in no time :)

ive think you done very well at portsmouth and on my game i just got offered the portsmouth job and after reading this i thought il give them a go,
i was just wondering what instructions did you give to beckham to get him to play so well?

thanks

I haven't set Beckham any specific instructions. Haven't been on my Portsmouth save recently but will get back on and finish my first season!