Making The Sky Blue Again - A Coventry City Story.

good luck mate, a very difficult club to manager whats your target for promotion, can usually turn a club around quickly in the championship so three years??

good luck mate, a very difficult club to manager whats your target for promotion, can usually turn a club around quickly in the championship so three years??

Yeah mate, bang on. First season is all about consolidating, staying in the league. Bringing in a few players, because some areas badly need strengthened. Then just push on from there, hopefully mid-table/playoffs by 2nd season and if we're still in the Championship by the 3rd season, then looking to get promoted ofcourse as a minimum.

How did you manage to upload the pictures ? My thread is at a standstill due to the problems with the server.

Seven Fresh Faces & Unbeaten Pre-Season

I knew coming in that I needed to strengthen alot of areas, just didn't realise is was nearly every position on the pitch. The first game I was in charge was against our reserves, this was a game to see where my current squad where - what positions needed strengthend or just a little more depth. I was expecting to win against our reserves quite comfortably, but I was in for a horrible suprise - a wake up call if you want to call it. A wake up call of just how big of a job I had on my hands here to turn things around.

Coventry City vs Coventry City Reserves
Friendly

2i23rir.png

Yeah, that's right - they couldn't even beat our reserves, jesus christ. Straight away I knew I had to throw myself in to the transfer market to try and find some bargains, because we only had £1,000,000 to spend and i pretty much needed around half a dozen players or so - i knew it wasn't going to be easy, i had to spend my money wisely. After a few weeks of haggling, chancing my luck and praising players - I had found seven quality players to strengthen our squad with. Mostly our backline was the main focus, with one right back and two left backs coming in, aswell as a centre back. Also two centre midfielders and a right winger to stregnthen our control in the middle of the field. Overall i spent £325k of the funds, but alot of the rest of it went into the wage budget - but i've gotta be honest, i think i've did pretty well.

Transfers In & Out

11aflhl.png

The two players to leave the Richo Arena was Chris Hussey from our reserves, out on loan to First Division Scottish side Queen of the South, with a loan fee of £2.5k and also Richard Wood to Reading for £700k.
After the players what was brought in, Wood found himself out the side and when Reading made that offer, it was just too good to turn down. The money came in and sorted out or wage budget, which was now no longer over-spending. Overall I was happy with the signings i've made - i havn't broke the bank and not went over wage budget either so it's been a successful transfer window in my opinion. The only one thing I would of liked was maybe getting one striker in, which I am continueing to look for at the moment, but i really cant complain as throughout pre-season our performances picked up dramatically with the new signings as we went on to win the rest of our friendlies.

Pre-Season Results

vpwx74.png

Overall, a very successful pre-season and we look ready to kick-off the new campaign. The first game of the season is a tricky one, away to title challengers Middlesborough, but if we can play how we have through pre-season im confident we can get something from the game. Our aim for this season is to consolidate oour position in the league, so anything above that this season is a bonus, but just because i've told the board that, doesn't mean I wont aim higher personally myself.

Last edited:
11sjxhc.jpg

k3avj8.jpg

2011/2012 N-Power Championship

Title Challengers

West Ham United
Birmingham City
Leeds United
Cardiff City

Relegation Candidates

Millwall
Peterborough United
Doncaster Rovers
Coventry City

With the big kick-off to the new N-Power Championship this weekend, it was time to look over exactly who's expected to do what this year in the league. With the likes of recently relegated West Ham United and Birmingham City expected to go straight back up, it was Leeds United and Cardiff City which are also giving the nod from the bookie's as favourites to also join the ex-Premier League sides.

Where as for thhe other end of the table, the bookmakers expected struggling seasons for the likes of Doncaster Rovers, Millwall, Peterborough and Coventry City.It seems like it's going to be a dog fight between these four teams to see who can survive this year according to the bookmakers as they've made that clear with the odd's there offering.

-------------------------------

Ok, so we're not really fancied much to do anything this season, infact the media and bookmakers have us as one of the favourites to go down, even after the new signings and promising pre-season. Well that's fine by me, let them judge, beacuse it will be even more sweeter when we pull off a remarkable season.

I've got the belief in the boys can do well this season and even though i've agreed with the board that this season is all about consolidating our position in the league, im personally aiming myself for for a little bit more than that - i wreckon if we can avoid injuries and perform to our potential we could, just sneak a play-off place? Getting ahead of myself? Hey, we will see..right?

Great layout, Great club to manage and do a story about! What skin are you using?

Loving this story already, looking forward to the next update.

Keep up the good work mate

hey man im doin coventry as well after 13 league games got them to 7th

It Begins..August Update

Ok, so it's the start of the new season in the Npower Championship and we're one of the big favourites to go down this season, but i've brought in fresh faces - strengthend the team and after a shaky start - had a very strong pre-season before heading into the first game of the season. Im feeling confident and looking foward to this, so let's not just sit about - let's get the new season under way.

NPower Championship

Middlesborough 0 - 1 Coventry City
Gary McSheffrey

Carling Cup 1st Round
Coventry City 2 - 0 Stevenage
David Obua
Richard Keough

NPower Championship
Coventry City
1 - 0Crystal Palace
Alex Nimley

NPower Championship
Coventry City 1 - 1 Derby County
Gary McSheffrey

NPower Championship
Brighton 4 - 1 Coventry City
Cyrus Christie

Carling Cup 2nd Round
Coventry City
0 - 1 Swansea City

NPower Championship
Coventry City 0 - 1 Reading

NPower Championship
Peterborough United
2 - 2Coventry City
Carl Baker
Freddy Eastwood

206kchy.png

Ok, so a bit of an up and down month to be honest, as we finished August 11th in the table after two wins, two draws and two loses in our first six games. I've gotta be honest, we've no played that badly and a few results I would say we was very hard done by, especially games agasint Derby County and Reading - we just couldn't find that killer touch to take our chances. As i said before going into the start of the season, i really would of liked to get another striker in, but it looks like we're going to have to wait until January before we even think about bringing players in or out.

As i've already said, the Derby County and Reading game where games we really should have won but we just couldn't finish them off. Against Derby County, we was dominating the play and had the lead until the last fifteen minutes where they hit us on the break and took there first chance in the second half, couldn't believe it! As for Reading, pretty much the same, but we lost. This time we had the ball in the back of the net with ten minutes to go, with it only to be dissallowed for offside. Reading the scored from the resulting kick up the park by the keeper, as we scored an own goal to give them the win.

But it's not the end of the world as there is still alot of football to be played yet, and still we're above where the bookmakers wreckoned we would finish this season, but yeah I know still along way to go - so let's not count our chickens, you never know...play-off push could be this season? ha! Yeah, so we're sitting 11th in the league, which is pretty respectable start to the season in my opinion - getting our first home and away wins of the season already.

91gpc4.jpg

2wemlgi.png

Last edited: