Making Your Own Website

• Thread starter Thread starter Burkie7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 1K

Burkie7

Reaction score
Just started a Software Developer course today and have to say I really loved it we started of doing HTML and making our own website.

I'm just wondering for when I get a bit more practice of designing websites which would be the best code to make a website? And also how do I go about getting it on the Internet so my friends can see it.

Thanks.

And how did he go about getting it on the internet do you know mate?

at school we have to :'(

We use Dreamweaver MX

To get it on the internet you need to buy a domain name

My mate's older brother, who's very computer-oriented, has made his own website on Microsoft Front Page. Don't know how it works nor can I remember the name.

For A-Level, I used Microsoft Access, Virtual PC and a range of other programs that the school computers already had and I must say it was a great experience.

get web expression and use the templates if you want to make it easy but CSS is the best waqy to go IMO.
then a Domain Name is needed and to get it online. cant think of anything else

Thanks for the help so far lads,
Starting Dreamweaver tomorrow but I liked using the HTML code today as it was pretty handy to learn.
How would you go about buying a Domain name ?

You need a mixture of CSS and other codes. I used DreamWeaver, which was pretty good. You can get free websites, but the customization is limited, which is a *****.

once you have the domain and hosting, you just upload each file to your server, and waht ever you name that file, will be the name you have to type in to get on it .

example. if your website was www.fm-base.co.uk

you would then upload a page. called "index" for example.

to get onto that page you would type www.fm-base.co.uk/index

Thank You, Going to start on it now, Anyone know a good place to get the Domain and Hosting I don't want a free website I will pay for it.

Thanks for the help so far lads,
Starting Dreamweaver tomorrow but I liked using the HTML code today as it was pretty handy to learn.
How would you go about buying a Domain name ?

Best to learn by coding and not by using a program to build it such as Dreamweaver in my opinion.

Familiarise yourself with HTML first and then CSS. After you're comfortable enough with those have a look at some of the fancier scripting languages such as PHP, Javascript, ASP, etc...

I preferred using Notepad++ for my coding as it has syntax highlighting. But the coding in Dreamweaver is nice also if you have access to that.

Yeah, coding is the best way hands down, just a **** of a lot to take in, especially fi you decide to learn th edifferrent types. HTML and CSS are the easiest, although I didn't have much problems learning Javascript

My brother uses a group called SDMG media for hosting.
GoDaddy are alright for domains.

I agree with Lee. If you really want to learn stick to a text editor (Notepad++ FTW :P). That way you will really start to understand how the browser is rendering your code. Also, install Firebug if you use Firefox. It allows you to inspect elements on a webpage and the code that creates them and also allows you to change that code non-destructively on the fly to see what would happen if you did a certain thing. It also lays out the overall site structure very nicely so you get a good idea of the order in which your site is rendered.

IMO just stick to HTML and CSS to begin with. However I think you should be learning both at the same time. Not HTML and then CSS. If you just learn HTML, you will get into bad habits. ie using tables for formatting... VERY BAD!!!! ;)
Whereas learning both at the same time teaches you good practice like separating the structure from the design. :)

Last edited:
I think that the easiest way is to use hosting with PHP and MySQL and the possibility to install Wordpress. Then you will be able to use free web templates for your site

xHTML, PHP and CSS.

Becoming fluent in building and maintaining databases is also important, depending on what you'll be using your website for.

Back