kewlwarez

Reaction score

Sheik Mansour was unhappy. He'd been the owner of Man City for four years now and last season finally saw his team win the Premier League, but he still didn't get the respect he was due. The fans were happy with their FA Cup win two years ago and the title this season, but everybody else just said they'd bought the title. Rather than respect his creation, they mocked it for being a team of mercenaries, footballers with huge salaries and huger egos. He had learned the hard way that the English just didn't like what they thought was unearned respect.

Something needed to be done.

Opposite him his chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, looked worried. He too was annoyed with the fact that the football press still didn't take his club serious. But he was less than happy with the idea his boss had come up with.

"We're doing well, you know. This season we can go far in Europe, finally get to the Champions League final, maybe even win it. The squad is strong, Mancini is doing well as coach and they're finally into a team, yet you want to throw that all away?"

"Yes. I know what I want. The only way to get the english to respect us is if we play the game their way. I'm sure. Man City needs to go English."

"Sell all the foreign players, replace them with English ones, then win the title again? Can't we at least keep Mancini?"

"No. We get an English manager. Somebody new, somebody unknown, somebody... ours. Somebody like Nathan Adams"

Cue dramatic music.

Sky News: Mancini fired from Man City. Who will be the new boss?

In a surprise move, Man City boss Roberto Mancini has left the club. According to the chairman the City hierarchy thought it was time for a new approach and Mancini no longer fits the profile. With him gone, speculation is rife as to who will replace him. There are several possible candidates, including Real Madrid boss...

Football.guardian.co.uk - the Rumour Mill: Unknown English manager new City gaffer?

While the smart money has been on Pep Guardiola to succeed Mancini, speculation amongst City watchers has been about the role relatively unknown manager Nathan Adams might play. Adams, who only started his coaching career two years ago, is an ex-England international whose sole appearance was as a substitute against Andorra several years ago. He was previously mentioned as a possible candidate for the role of League 2 Plymouth coach before the club decided to stick with Carl Fletcher...

Daily Mail: Adams is new Man City boss shocker!

In an surprise move, Man City have appointed unknown Nathan Adams as boss. He has promised to turn the club upside down. In his press conference he vowed to turn the club English again, with the full support of rich owner sheik Mansour

Daily Express: What Diana would think of the new Man City

If our Diana was still alive, would she have been shocked or surprised to see the new Man City? Our psychic reveals all.

Last edited:
To summarise the challenge:
  • Start with the current (July 2012) Man City squad,
  • Replace every non-English player
  • Get English replacements
  • See how far I get in the league with them.
When I started, Man City had the following English players in its team:

1 GK Joe Hart
2 DF Micah Richards (injured)
6 DF Joleon Lescott
7 MF James Milner
11 MF Scott Sinclair
17 MF Jack Rodwell
18 MF Gareth Barry (injured)

Everybody else needs to be sold and replaced. Who would you get?

Kyle Walker, Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Jermaine Defoe, Darren Bent, Jack Wilshere, Nat Chalobah(Youth Investment), Ross Turnbull(Cheap backup, Chelsea accept £500k), Adam Johnson(Buy Him Back, hes a decent winger), Aaron Lennon

Jack Butland, Martin Kelly, Caulker, Baines, Wilshere, Sterling, Walcott, Rooney (just to be controversial).

Luke Shaw. Young, promising Southampton left-back, who came on as a sub against West Brom.

Gibbs. Walcott, Wilshere, Chamberlain.
Keep up the Man City tradition and buy Arsenal players.

Hmm. Butland, definately. Raid the U21's.

Jagielka, Wilshere, Walker and Cahill are decent prospects but I say that for back-up for Hart you could get Butland, Kean or Steele and get a strikeforce of Agbonlohor and Defoe maybe?

So here's Man City's activity in the first transfer period:

That's 123 million worth of players sold or lend, 144 million worth of players bought. Most important purchases: Jermain Defoe, Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Zaha up front, Leighton Baines and Kyle Walker in defence, with the midfield being reinforced with Kevin Nolan and Mark Noble.

Wanted Darren Bent, but too expensive even for Man City. He's doing great for Villa though: top scorer and they're #1 after 4 games with Stoke (!) in second.

The current squad:

View attachment 281873

Base tactic is a modified 4-3-3, with a lone striker (usually Defoe) and either an attacking centre midfielder for extra firepower, or a defensive midfielder against better opposition. It's taken a while to get the squad going though, as I'll show in the next post...

Zaha. Absolute beast <3

This is how the preseason and the August fixtures worked out:

View attachment 282080

I knew the friendlies would be a mixed bag as I got in new players and got rid of the old guard, but the win over Chelsea in the Community Shield gave me hope for the start of the Premier League. Losing 2-3 against Swansea and 1-1 against West Ham? Not good. The fans were not happy.

Man City won't want to remember September

After a disappoint League start in August, with one loss and one draw, surely September, as the team got more used to each other, would be better?

Sadly, no:

Two lacklustre 0-0 draws to West Brom away and Newcastle at home, followed by Man City's first big test, the away match against Paris Saint Germain. We were lucky to draw, as Guillaume Hoarau scored against us on 79 minutes, followed by an immediate reply from Scott Sinclair two minutes later...

The group we were drawn into, besides PSG, also includes A. C. Milan and the Danish FC Nordsjælland (but no Ajax, luckily). With our current form, my plan is to be cautious against the big two clubs, grinding out draws like this one if necessary, then win against the plucky Danes.

Meanwhile in the League, we got our first win, against Reading 3-1 at home. We went behind halfway through the first half, then Jermain Defoe finally scored again for the equaliser, with Scott Sinclair and Wilfried Zaha scoring late in the match. We were much better in the second half, not in the least because I started Zaha off as a midfielder and Kevin Nolan as a left winger, which for neither is quite their best position. Wasn't intentional, but the result of flipping between tactics in the tactics creator. D-oh.XD

Then it was the 3rd round of the League Cup against Hull and they played well, but we still won 3-0, partially with the last goal Edin Dzeko might ever have scored for City, as I gave all the old Man City superstars who I hadn't managed to shift yet in the first transfer window a start.

Then back to the league for another 1-1 draw, against Fulham this time, again going behind first.

Last edited:
Can you show a screen shot of your reserves as the likes of Dzeko are still there going off you transfers. I wouldn't be suprised if your reserves were almost as good as the first team.