mdcoz78

Reaction score
So can someone explain why on FM 2012 and older versions Man Utd are not the richest/Valuable club when Forbes have rated them the most for 8 years running and currently 1.4bn. Not really life like when they are behind Man City on the game for value. This needs sorting really for 2013 as it frustrates me when the valuations are just not near what they should be for Utd and other teams.

You stay classy......

Isn't Man Utd in like serious debt due to the Glazers?

Doesn't matter as long as they're in debt.

Debt yes like most, even to the game the richest being Barca.
But they are commercially the richest club in the world!!! Is.not reflected in the game. Quite simply no other club is worth 1.4bn like Utd.

You stay classy......

Didn't the glazers use Carrington to cover a debt?
Can't be the richest if you don't own your own base

You can be, how is it any different if you mortgage any property or have debt. The point is the commercial money they generate is the true measure of wealth. Hence the 1.4bn value

You stay classy......

Well since you can't take any commercial actions on FM (like selling merchandise) it's totally fine that they don't include the commercial value since you wouldn't be able to change it over a long career.

If they'd just add the real commercial values of 2011 and then these numbers wouldn't change until 2030 (because there's no commerce in FM), well that would upset me..

Debt yes like most, even to the game the richest being Barca.
good.gif

I think the way it is, forbes value manu highly because they make revenue from all around the world as they have a larger support but DONT actually have the money because they are in debt, so although they are the richest club (by means of revenue) they still do not have as much money as man city ect.

The game clearly states eat value!!!! So regardless of debt which is also on the game anyway, the game is wrong.

FM does also have commerce as season tickets and sponsorship is in the game. Along with signing players and having a positive effect on the club commercially.

So still don't see anyone putting an argument across that the game is correct. The values are all way off regardless of disposable income.

Again this is reflected in the game because one team can be worth 68 million and have 9mill transfer money and another that has the same value have none. So the two aren't related in FM anyway.

You stay classy......

See the thing is you DO NOT KNOW what forbes criteria are.

I am quite sure the ingame information value actually states the value of ALL assets, including players value. Where as for forbes, this would be something quite difficult to calculate. Forbes will measure revenue for each season, That is money earnt.

The game however takes players value into account. Hence why Barca are probably considered the richer club because they have Messi, Fabregas, Xavi, Mascha, Valdes, Pique, Villa ect.

"Manchester United's global fan base of 330m helps make them the most valuable team in any sport," said forbes (bbc article quote)
Judging from this statement, This means forbes takes a estimated value in fan base as well. I know that Fan base is in the game but I don't think it takes into account the value of a club.

Last edited:
The 1.4bn is actually from the estimated value in relation to stock market valuation. So therefore encompass everything so what you have said is pretty much irrelevant as the Estimated Value as in the game is that value!!!

Players aren't assets they aren't a tangible value as they can be worth nothing or less from day to day!!!! Value can't be attained from the players. This is bankable monies and what the club would cost to buy.

The game says Estimated Value not Value of Players.

You stay classy......

yes, but what you consider estimate value and what FM2012 does are two completely different things.

The value of the club means barely anything in terms of footballing operations so i don't know why your so bothered. It only effects takeovers really. The income and outgoings are what are more important in FM and United's is pretty high but is restricted because of the debt.

players would be considered an asset. all assets have the ability to appreciate and depreciate therefore provide a volatile figure when defining wealth. facilities would also be included as would all debts held against a companies name. hence uniteds huge debts would be held against them in valuation terms. debts estimated at 432mill tend to have a negative impact on a companies valuation

Debts mean ****, Barca and Real owe more than 1.5 billion to spanish banks, But the banks are too scared to ask for the money back as there national treasures. The game is wrong, Simples, Untied have been the highest value club for many years. FACT

The reason why i wanted to bring the est values of clubs in is because the game Is wrong purely based on comparisons with one team to another. Perfect example is man city have a higher value than utd, I'm not a Utd fan.

This isn't possible, everyone who has commented has answered that by all the things they have said that are and are not included in the valuation of any club.

Well just purely on the commerciality of Utd there is no way City can be valued higher. All they have is a rich owner, that does not make any club worth more. That is one guys wealth not the clubs.

So if we disagree on the players being assets or not and debts playing a part, this is purely debate for the game. However what is clear that the value of the clubs in FM is wrong, by a long way and I just think that Si go for the easy and simple way. It's just a case of using these external valuations and putting them into the game.

You stay classy......

The reason why i wanted to bring the est values of clubs in is because the game Is wrong purely based on comparisons with one team to another. Perfect example is man city have a higher value than utd, I'm not a Utd fan.

This isn't possible, everyone who has commented has answered that by all the things they have said that are and are not included in the valuation of any club.

Well just purely on the commerciality of Utd there is no way City can be valued higher. All they have is a rich owner, that does not make any club worth more. That is one guys wealth not the clubs.

So if we disagree on the players being assets or not and debts playing a part, this is purely debate for the game. However what is clear that the value of the clubs in FM is wrong, by a long way and I just think that Si go for the easy and simple way. It's just a case of using these external valuations and putting them into the game.

You stay classy......
The player wages aren't true to life exactly either (Eto'o was cited as an example in another thread that was somewhat similar to this one). I am assuming the value Football manager calculates would in a simple form essentially be Player Values + Finance page balance + Facilities value - Debt...