Reaction score
Hi. Am loving FM14 at the min, and was thinking of making a 4-2-3-1 tac with 2CMs not DMs. Would like to use Fluid Attack, United style tac.

Team will be something like this-

GK- De Gea

RB- Rafael
CB- Vidic
CB- Evans
LB- Shaw

CMR- Carrick
CML- Fellaini

AMC- Kagawa

Wide players Valencia/ Shaqiri

Str- Rvp

Was just after some advice on players/team roles/instuctions. Thanks for you help!!!!!:)

THIS THREAD CAN BE USED FOR OTHER PEOPLE WHO WANT HELP WITH A UNITED TACTIC NOT JUST MINE, THINK WILL BE EASIER THAN HAVING 20-30 OTHER UNITED TACTIC THREADS IF THE MODS DONT MIND:D

Last edited:
Hi. Am loving FM14 at the min, and was thinking of making a 4-2-3-1 tac with 2CMs not DMs. Would like to use Fluid Attack, United style tac.

Team will be something like this-

GK- De Gea

RB- Rafael
CB- Vidic
CB- Evans
LB- Shaw

CMR- Carrick
CML- Fellaini

AMC- Kagawa

Wide players Valencia/ Shaqiri

Str- Rvp

Was just after some advice on players/team roles/instuctions. Thanks for you help!!!!!:)
Roles that worked for me.

Rafael - Complete wingback
Carrick - Regista support
Felliani - ball winning midfielder
Valencai - winger attack with stay wide, hold position, tackle harder and mark tighter

Valencai - winger attack with stay wide, hold position, tackle harder and mark tighter
Cheers mate for advice. What would you suggest role wise for Kagawa/Januzaj behind the STR. And do you think/ have any advice for team inst and will attack movement with fluid work, as was nearly impossible to create a good 4231 tac on fm 13.

Cheers mate for advice. What would you suggest role wise for Kagawa/Januzaj behind the STR. And do you think/ have any advice for team inst and will attack movement with fluid work, as was nearly impossible to create a good 4231 tac on fm 13.
I only played a 442 with Utd and had Kagawa and Januzaj on the wings.

My 442 was fluid and attacking but I had two defensive midfielders which made it more stable defensively so not sure how it would work on a 4231

W4anker''s tips are quite good however, Id say United are more suited to a 4-4-2 or variations of it, they never really play with any kind of inside forwards or anything like that, its quite old school courtesy of Fergie. Moyes now I believe tries to play the same way but I dont really watch united so Im not sure 100%. Good luck with the tactic

EDIT: ****** beat me to my point, **** you!!

I only played a 442 with Utd and had Kagawa and Januzaj on the wings.

My 442 was fluid and attacking but I had two defensive midfielders which made it more stable defensively so not sure how it would work on a 4231
Ok mate. Yep used your 442 tactic on a spurs save just while i got use to new game, won the league:) But now want to start my Utd long term save and would love to try do my own Tactic this year.

W4anker''s tips are quite good however, Id say United are more suited to a 4-4-2 or variations of it, they never really play with any kind of inside forwards or anything like that, its quite old school courtesy of Fergie. Moyes now I believe tries to play the same way but I dont really watch united so Im not sure 100%. Good luck with the tactic

EDIT: ****** beat me to my point, **** you!!
So maybe like a 442 with 2 CMs and 2 Att wingers? Not a fan of wide midfielders tbh.

So maybe like a 442 with 2 CMs and 2 Att wingers? Not a fan of wide midfielders tbh.

Yeah I also hate wide midfielders, and the 2 Cms and 2 AMs could work just fine, could probably drop kagawa into a CM with role of AP and fellaini with CM-BWM. As for strikers Im not sure, I like tactics like 4-2-3-1s, 4-5-1 etc. so im not sure about striker roles with 2 of them.

Yeah I also hate wide midfielders, and the 2 Cms and 2 AMs could work just fine, could probably drop kagawa into a CM with role of AP and fellaini with CM-BWM. As for strikers Im not sure, I like tactics like 4-2-3-1s, 4-5-1 etc. so im not sure about striker roles with 2 of them.
Never really thought about dropping Kags into CM tbh suppose could work but maybe weak def wise. I know what you mean about STR always reading people struggling to get RVP scoring consistent?

Never really thought about dropping Kags into CM tbh suppose could work but maybe weak def wise. I know what you mean about STR always reading people struggling to get RVP scoring consistent?

Yes it will be less defensively sound but do what ****** said, wingers to tight marking and tackle harder, they will need to defend quite a bit

What other roles would you suggest mate for players like kagawa if he was played out on wings?

I would probably go for a flat 4411. I am not sure I would go for a fluid approch though, probably an rigid or standard.

The key when using a top team like Man U is to watch the games and make adjustmenst so you are able to penetrate and stretch the opponents defense. Against teams pushing up, yuou can exploit the space they leave behind by hitting balls into channels onto your advanced FC wjhilst againt teams stting deep and playing compact, ite better to use a supporting FC and a more attacking AMC.

Regarding the many dimensions of play, I would say that its great to have one side using overlaps and one having a more attacking winger and a fullbacks that stays back. As for the central midfield, its all about preparing for the game ahead. Do you need to use a deeper creative player or one that breaks up attacks etc.

I would probably go for a flat 4411. I am not sure I would go for a fluid approch though, probably an rigid or standard.

The key when using a top team like Man U is to watch the games and make adjustmenst so you are able to penetrate and stretch the opponents defense. Against teams pushing up, yuou can exploit the space they leave behind by hitting balls into channels onto your advanced FC wjhilst againt teams stting deep and playing compact, ite better to use a supporting FC and a more attacking AMC.

Regarding the many dimensions of play, I would say that its great to have one side using overlaps and one having a more attacking winger and a fullbacks that stays back. As for the central midfield, its all about preparing for the game ahead. Do you need to use a deeper creative player or one that breaks up attacks etc.
So maybe like a 4411 att-standard

GK- Def

CWBR- Support
CD-Def
CD-Def
CWBL-Support

WingerR-Attack
CMR-DLP-Def
CML-BWM-Support
WngerL-Attack

AMC-Adv playmaker-Support

STR-Complete forward- Not sure about att/support role?

So maybe like a 4411 att-standard

GK- Def

CWBR- Support ATTACK
CD-Def
CD-Def
Fullback - Support

Def Winger -SUPPORT

CMR-DLP-Def
CML-BWM-Support
WngerL-Attack

AMC + FC

Shadow Striker + False Nine: Against teams sitting really deep
AMCF/support - Complete FC support: Against "normal teams"
Shadow Striker + Poacher: When wanting to play more direct, hitting teams on the counter

STR-Complete forward- Not sure about att/support role?

Some suggestions to consider made bold above
Also think about if you have a FC/winger that could be used as a wide target man and play him in AML ;D

Some suggestions to consider made bold above
Also think about if you have a FC/winger that could be used as a wide target man and play him in AML ;D
Thanks alot for your help! Just anonther quick one, because united have players like Kagawa/Januzaj would you play these out wide or behind Str?

1st season:
This is what I'm currently using.. So far I've won the league cup, lost in the semis of the fa cup, won the league and in the champs league final.
View attachment 463523