Man Utd - Youth System Challenge

liamboyall7

Reaction score
So ive decided to start a new game with United but instead of buying players from other clubs, decided to ban all transfers and only use players at the club currently and those that come through the youth ranks. Obviously will/should be easy to begin with but may start to challenege 2/3 seasons down the line. Anyone else attempted something similar to this?

It would be an interesting challenge, but would be quite difficult after a few years, alot of the Man Utd youth players are (in my opinion at least) vastly underrated when it comes to there potential ability. Only maybe 4 or 5 have the potential to make it in the first team, rest will not be good enough. Whereas in real life you have masses of talent in that youth team, Pogba, Tunnicliffe, the Keane brothers, Fryers, Thorpe, not to mention the young players in the first team (Jones, Cleverley, Rafael, Smalling, Welbeck) are underrated in terms of their potential ability, again thats just my opinion though. The challenge would be good fun, but i'd imagine, after a few years, you'd be relying on regens as opposed to real life man utd youth players.

Yeh agree exactly, but going to see if i can do it, might get to a stage where i just sign 16/17 year olds

Yeah, i'd encourage you to do it actually, would be an interesting challenge, maybe something you could start a story thread with on here, so people can keep up to with your progress :)
tbf, i guess:
De gea,
Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Fabio,
Pogba, Cleverley,
(WINGERS)
Welbeck, Keane
Would be a decent team for a good 10 years, as they're all 18-21 range, you just need wingers then.

Good challenge but mabee try with a club like Southampton, they have great youth and are in champ so you would need your youth to be better than the current team.

Good suggestion, but havent been United at all and since Im a United fan im going to try them, but thanks for the suggestion :)

Cheers, just got Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and Carrick all tutoring!

Going to get very hard in a few years, make sure you invest heavily in top quality youth coaches and cross your fingers every March.

Are you allowing yourself to buy youth players from feeder clubs?

At least your squad harmony will be excellent

Just started with southampton, obviously focusing on youth players only, my age limit is 23 aswell so in the next few seasons anyone over 23 will be off loaded. Just won championship 11/12 season! Roll on prem!

i agree completley, its the same with valencia, bin man u's best player 4 the last 2 seasons n has only 3 stars whats that about!!!!

i was thinking about a challenge like this today, was thinking rather than just using youth players ban all players over the age of 21-22 anyone over that age sell and use that money to buy replacement players under the age of 21-22.

anybody think this is a good idea?

This is a good idea, keep us updated on any youth that seem promising!

A variation of this idea would be to try this with a League 1 or League 2 club! Haha depends how long you've got to play it i suppose!

Craig

This is a good idea, keep us updated on any youth that seem promising!

A variation of this idea would be to try this with a League 1 or League 2 club! Haha depends how long you've got to play it i suppose!

Craig

yeye but i was going for an easy start ha i spose once its done with a higher club with gd players then it would be much harder with lower league clubs because of their youth facilities. going to be a while before i try this myself tho as iv just started the fc united challenge

After most of my regens I've bought are unpromising I've taken to the same method, my squad is ageing and I need some fresh legs. My academy produces 2/3 good players a year that move into the reserve squad for three months and then are ready for my squad. I don't think it's the best idea to keep doing year by year because I'm ending up taking ages to find the players that I'll need to stay in the premierleague.