Manager seeking bus or plane to park in front of goal

gaamst

Reaction score
Is there really no way of shutting out the opposition in FM 12? A quick google search only tells me that "offence is the best defence", and I get the impression that its all about outscoring the opponent, but I feel defending is also an art form, even more so in this game and I would like to master it.

I currently managing Chelsea, I've only lost to City away so far 20 games in and some of the football we've been playing has been to notch, but I get many wins like 4-2, 3-2, 5-4 etc. As a Chelsea fan, and a Mourinho worshiper, I'd rather have won them all by a goal to none.

I used to be able to completely freeze games in previous versions, but in this one I'm really struggeling to get clean sheets, even when I'm dominating at home against the Sunderlands or Stokes, my 3 or 4-0-leads often sees them scoring a couple near the end. And I've dropped a lot of points against strong sides.

Eventually I've tried a couple of the tactics on this forum, and they're awesome going forward, but I still can't seem to avoid those odd goals or CCC's from the opposing team.

How can I keep the champion-wins alive? They are still very much alive IRL, ofc we're not getting them, but City's win against Wigan the other day is what I'm talkin' bout! So has anybody "cracked the code" sort of speak, had a good run of results clean sheet-wise? I would very much like to know how I can utilize Essien, Ramires, Mikel and even Nigel de Jong for greater effect? A couple of those names obviously has very little to offer going forward...

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Have à look in My tactic thread ( à sticky) and look at the 451 and Italian 4312. There, you can see how I setup the tactic and shouts when wanting to make sure I keep à tight defence( mainly the balanced approach and the cautious counter).

Also, look at the Italian project as how I close out à 3-0 result.

Last edited:
Counter, Deep D-line, Tight Marking and Pressing with all the players beside the main striker at own half works for me. If you work on your own tactic I would suggest you to develope two - 1) with Anchor Man when they 2 strikers and/or AMC having your fullbacks/wing backs playing more attacking football; 2)with supporting or defending fullbacks when they got wingers or inside forwards set on tight marking.

I would also like to suggest you to take a look at the Cattenacio recreation tactic. I think that one is the best for defending when playing on counter.

I've been working on several more catenaccio style re creation tactics, and with one, I've played 6 and let in 0 goals so far. Pretty good.

Thanks TBH! I will give this a try. Beautifully written, very intriguing. Fm stories should be published.

I've been working on several more catenaccio style re creation tactics, and with one, I've played 6 and let in 0 goals so far. Pretty good.

Very interesting stuff, Maxy67, and this would be ideal with my Lazio side. But do you think playing three at the back, including a sweeper, would work in England? Seems unrealistic, but ofc there's only one way to find out. Thanks anyway, great thread.

Very interesting stuff, Maxy67, and this would be ideal with my Lazio side. But do you think playing three at the back, including a sweeper, would work in England? Seems unrealistic, but ofc there's only one way to find out. Thanks anyway, great thread.

I've never tried in England, tried it in russia and it worked but not England. I'll send you a link of the newest one when its released.

I've never tried in England, tried it in russia and it worked but not England. I'll send you a link of the newest one when its released.

Cool beans, Maxy. Looking forward too it.

I'm at wrexham yes may only be in the blue square. but I'm walking away with the league conceded only 15 goals in 31 games. if you Google 433 Barcelona fm 2012 gives you great tactics.

Have à look in My tactic thread ( à sticky) and look at the 451 and Italian 4312. There, you can see how I setup the tactic and shouts when wanting to make sure I keep à tight defence( mainly the balanced approach and the cautious counter).

Also, look at the Italian project as how I close out à 3-0 result.

Is it okay using only your shouts for "balanced approach" and "cautious counter" with my own tactics or would you recommend setting up a 4-1-2-2-1 with your instructions and player roles?