Mancester city formation- How the **** do you counter it?

Alex Nowak

Reaction score
View attachment 311162 Hello! I think this may be my first post here...

I have attached the image of a formation I can not beat.... I have tried all 3 of my tactics many times... just to test out different things against man city and I am stumped.. I've tried being super attacking, Ive tried 3 in midfield, and I've tried 1 AMC 1 MC and 1 DMC! Nothing seemed to work!

Aguero is a *******.

Have you tried 5-2-2-1 with either 1 mc and 1 DMC or both DMC. Counterattacking football. Two wingers or two AMC. A poacher. Three attacking players need to be fast. Don't know if it'll work. But give it a shot.

Play a DMC or two.

Then in shouts (you can select them before the match starts at the team talk screen) choose 'exploit the flanks' and 'play wider' + maybe clear the ball out wide.

That's assuming you have decent wide players :p

This may sound weird, but I've used 3 DMs before!

Similar to the above two. Shout 'Exploit the Flanks' and play on counter.

I played a 4-5-1 with 3 DMs, two wingers and a lone striker. It may sound strange but it worked for me against city. Try it if you actually have 3 DMs :)

Play with the same formation, if you've got some good players :D You can even go with wing-backs instead of full-backs to exploit the wings-spaces of City :D

you can try something along the lines of this...

use drop deeper/stand off opponents/pass into space shouts

this should allow you to soak up the pressure and hopefully hit them on the counter (have counter ticked) or change strategy to counter as well :)

the wingbacks on defend will assist in marking their fullbacks who will get forward at every oppurtunity as well as (setting man marking) assist in the defending of the wider AM's who are most likely set to roam!

this tactic is quite defensively sound for me (I change the roles to more attacking and fluid when I play at home though) as a lot of the settings are left as defualt so my shouts will impact the settings when I change them during the game :)

View attachment 311266