Manchester City 0-3 Arsenal: red card holds back City, but Arsenal impress in importa

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 2K

Joss

Reaction score
Manchester City 0-3 Arsenal: red card holds back City, but Arsenal impress in important win

cityvarse.jpg

The starting line-ups

An early red card was the game’s key moment, but Arsenal played well on their way to an ultimately comfortable victory.

Manchester City’s front six were as expected – the news was at the back, where Dedryck Boyata started alongside Vincent Kompany in Kolo Toure’s absence, with Jerome Boateng at left-back and Micah Richards at right-back.

Arsenal also named an XI without many surprises – Abou Diaby was unavailable so Denilson came into the midfield, and the Djourou-Squillaci partnership continued at the back.

City started extremely strongly, with Richards motoring forward past Andrei Arshavin twice in the opening five minutes and getting into good crossing positions. One of his balls into the centre found David Silva, who flicked towards goal but was thwarted by an excellent Lukasz Fabianski save.

Cesc Fabregas started the game playing deeper than usual, coming short to collect the ball in front of City’s midfield, and playing two very good through balls early on. The first caught Arshavin slightly offside, but the second found Marouane Chamakh, and when Boyata fouled him, he was shown a straight red card.

Red card aftermath

This forced Manchester City to reorganise in the absence of one of their central defenders – first James Milner went in at right-back with Micah Richards in the centre, then Yaya Toure moved back to centre-back, then Toure moved into midfield again, with Ricards going to centre-back , Boateng switching to the right-back position, and Gareth Barry playing at left-back.

City had so many options to get around the problem at centre-back, and versatile players are generally an asset. But by changing the system three times in the first half (with yet another change at half-time with Wayne Bridge coming on), the defence was always going to have problems working as a unit.

One of Mancini's four defensive solutions after the red card
That’s not to say that City gave up. Despite the fact that such an early red card will always have an impact on the game, this was probably one of the less decisive red cards in terms of the overall pattern of the game (although clearly the home side were severely weakened) – City were always going to sit back, Arsenal were always going to dominate possession.

City still offer attacking threat

Mancini went with a 4-3-1-1 system – David Silva played in the centre of the pitch with Milner forming more of a midfield three. And this meant that City offered a surprising level of attacking threat, especially considering how cautious they generally are against bigger sides.

With the three in midfield narrow, and Silva just ahead, they were effectively forming a midfield diamond around Arsenal’s three central midfielders (with the wider players of the three shuttling forward) and were not played off the pitch. Indeed, Arsenal were having trouble in the centre of midfield, reflected in the fact Fabregas, Alex Song and Denilson all collected yellow cards.

City’s problem, however, was that when Arsenal had possession, they were able to shift the ball from flank to flank (see the Chalkboard below, with the majority of passes in wide areas) and exploit City’s narrow midfield.

Milner covered the right side well, but the left was more of an issue – with the changes to the side there was no permanent left-sided midfielder, and no permanent left-back. It was therefore vaguely inevitable that Arsenal would score from that side, and Samir Nasri was always a good shout for first scorer, with six goals in his last six games.

cityvarse2.jpg

One of Mancini's four defensive solutions after the red card

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/10/24/manchester-city-0-3-arsenal-tactics/

Fabregas was epic so was Nasri and Denilson infact our whole team except Djourou were fab

Fabregas was epic so was Nasri and Denilson infact our whole team except Djourou were fab

Didn't think Cesc was that good, not just the pen, but generally.

He's getting back to match fitness though, and he'll get better and better as he gets fit.
Clichy didn't fulfill his defensive duties enough for me, but Arshavin improved from the last game (vs Birimingham) - glad Denilson got a game instead of Diaby, and Nasri did brilliantly on the right : 7 goals in as many games :O

Didn't think Cesc was that good, not just the pen, but generally.

He's getting back to match fitness though, and he'll get better and better as he gets fit.
Clichy didn't fulfill his defensive duties enough for me, but Arshavin improved from the last game (vs Birimingham) - glad Denilson got a game instead of Diaby, and Nasri did brilliantly on the right : 7 goals in as many games :O
andy grey referred to him as a sniper,and its so true. not walys on the ball, but when he gets it he's lethal

lol neither, i was referring to Nasri.

Oh right, yeah I completely agree.

He's so good at finding space as well, and he's adding consistency to his game on top of his versatility, he keeps showing Wenger he can play all across midfield, we even played him deeper at points last season and he still excelled. He's already fulfilling expectations re: "The next Robert Pires" - talking of which, having him at the club training will likely benefit Nasri too.

Really like Nasri, his dribbling is amazing, and never stops running, even in the 90th minute when we were 3-0 up.

Cesc pulled the strings, and I disagree Joss, I thought he played really well and looked oh so competant at all times.

Lukasz Fabianski has to take a lot of credit today in my opinion. He made a very important save in the first few minutes from Silva and another from Silva when they were 1-0 up. He also made a few good saves when the game was safe.

Outstanding performance from the keeper. Delighted for him. :)

Wow, so much praise for a team that won against a 10 men.

Well I didnt even need to check that you supported Spurs.

It wasnt just the fact that they beat 10 men, but they went to Man City, where Chelsea were beaten and played Man City off the park for the whole game. 10 men or 11 men City would have struggled to cope with Arsenal today

Game didnt start with 10 vs 11. It started with 11 vs 11. City defenders incapability made it 10 vs 11. You got give credit to Arsenal for making that happen.

Anyways it was very good performance, had something around 65 % possession and created **** lot of chances. Scoreline should have been at least 5-0.

Nasri was excellent. But CBs are joke..

Last edited:
Lets not get into anymore pointless arguments, been more than enough of those recently

Saw the game with my sister's boyfriend. He is an Arsenal fan. I loved how Arsenal played against City. But I have to admit City was like they were not awake. I hardly saw Tevez with the ball. But we won. :D

Lets not get into anymore pointless arguments, been more than enough of those recently

Must say some involving me but for him to say that after giving me an earfull about my comments about the inter game, totally hypocritcial

Really like Nasri, his dribbling is amazing, and never stops running, even in the 90th minute when we were 3-0 up.

Cesc pulled the strings, and I disagree Joss, I thought he played really well and looked oh so competant at all times.

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not question Joss on Arsenal matters!

Back