Manchester United FC - Return of the King

JamesyB

Reaction score
skysportsbygreenbeardgx5.png

alex-11.jpg

MANCHESTER, England - After 23 years as the manager of Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson has today officially announced his retirement from the club at the age of 67.

In a press statement he said: "During my time with Manchester United, I have enjoyed the best moments any manager could dream of, a particular highlight being winning the treble but now in hindsight, I would now like to step aside and let a new man step in and take charge of the Red Devils. Thank you for your time, and goodbye."

Although, since Sir Alex announced his retirement message forums have been rife with rumours, and bookmakers have been swarmed with fans all wanting to place a bet on who will be Sir Alex's successor, and Sky News can now reveal that the odds are placed at:

Jose Mourinho - 2/1
Martin O'Neill - 5/2
Josep Guardiola - 10/1
David Beckham - 10/2
Eric Cantona - 100/1

Obviously, current Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho is the hot favourite to replace the Old Trafford legend, but nothing is set in stone - more on this story as we get it.

bbcsports.jpg

C_71_article_1053301_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

MANCHESTER, England - After months of speculation, Manchester United have appointed a successor for Alex Ferguson, in the guise of Eric Cantona. 'The King' returns to Old Trafford 12 years after announcing his retirement from football.

As he met the press this afternoon, Mr. Cantona was quoted as saying: "This is a great opportunity for me, after 4 years of coaching the French national beach soccer team, I am now returning to managing a club with whom I enjoyed great success as a player. I look forward to this venture, and will currently meet with my team later today and begin to work on a good strategy to ensure that I can please the Red Devil's fan as much as Sir Alex has."​

Last edited:
sky_logo.gif

CANTONA ANNOUNCES NEW ASSISTANT, FOUR SIGNINGS

spinosi.jpg

Luciano Spinosi, during his playing days at Juventus

Today, in a press conference at Old Trafford, new Manchester United boss Eric Cantona announced that Mike Phelan has left the club through mutual termination and he has drafted in a new Assistant Manager in Luciano Spinosi. Spinosi enjoyed a playing career with Juventus, Roma and A.C. Milan before returning to Roma in a management capacity.

As well as this, Cantona also announced he had made his first signings of the summer transfer market; below is the list of Cantona's signings.

Players in 2009/2010
Roberto Soldado from Getafe - £17 million
Michael Potts from Blackburn - £1.4 million
Eden Hazard from LOSC Lille Metropole - £16.75 million
Jose Baxter from Everton - £4.7 million
Ibrahim Afellay from PSV - £13 million

Last edited: