Manchester United - High Pressing Possession, 4-4-1-1

JOFM2

Reaction score
I have developed this tactic which I have named 'High Pressing Possession'. It does what it says on the tin, it enables the defensive line to sit on on the halfway line dominating possession. It creates high amounts passes particularly through the 2 CM's and if they have good passing ability they will more times than not have a high Pass Completion Rates. I am a big believer in possession, because if you have the ball than the opposition doesn't and the less they have of it the more the have to do when they do have it which means then end up trying to make stuff happen.

View attachment 462689View attachment 462688
Formation Team Instructions

Player Instructions
Goalkeeper - Distribute to Defenders
Right Wing - More Direct Passes
Left Wing - More Direct Passes
Shadow Striker - Move Into Channels, More Direct Passes

Man Utd Vs Tottenham
View attachment 462687View attachment 462686View attachment 462685

Man Utd Vs Atletico Madrid
View attachment 462684View attachment 462683View attachment 462682

Premier League - Pass Completion Rates
View attachment 462681View attachment 462680
8 Games In 11 Games In
Tell me what you think

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of possession tactics, i try this on next season and report back

leauge table?is this a winning tactic?

Yeah sorry forgot to add a few things. As you can see it is a tactic that makes you hard to beat and at the same time score goals. Also I have tried this out with numerous clubs such as; Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Wigan and Swansea to which I have had great success.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

View attachment 462670

Would it harm the tac/formation to change the AMC role? As I sold Rooney and Kagawa/Januzaj/Cleverly aren't the best @ Shadow Striker...

Shame this appears to have been buried i've had great success playing this with Rangers, Santos, Man CIty and Harrogate so far.

This tactic is incredible effective with Man Utd..! Won the league, the FA cup and lost the Champions League final to Barcelona the 1st season. 12 matches into the 2nd season and have won 11 of them. The only changes to the tactic I have made is moving the right and left midfielders up to wingers (support roles). I'm also playing with a defensive BWM (Fellaini) instead of the AP. Having the majority of the possession every game, between 60% and 75% against weak or middle strong teams.

Brought in the 1st season
Andre Ayew for his release clause, which is about 14,7 I believe.
Milan Badelj for 8,9
and Ricardo Rodriguez for aprox. 5,6

Sold Cleverley for 16,7 to Spurs lol.

Last edited:
Just started using this with Portsmouth in my first season. P18 W10 D4 L4
Getting great possession stats, usually 55%-70% each game, and the goals we concede are silly e.g. corners and long shots. Improved defending corners in recent games and I'm 6 games unbeaten in 2nd. Good tactic!