dannyboy50

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me with my tactics, I enclose a screen shot of said tactics.
I'm having a problem away from home.
At home we beat Manchester City 3-0 and Liverpool 5-0.
Unfortunately away from home we get beat by Panathinaikos and drew with Fulham.
The main problem seems to stem from a lack of ability to retain possession.
We also seem to get caught out by pacey players in behind (Djibril Cisse ripped us to shreds!)
I have checked my Match Prep and it says we should be fluid in all areas.
I have started asking my assistant to set opposition instructions, should i be doing this?
On one hand, it's manchester united so for the most part we should be imposing our game on others, on the other, you sometimes have to make plans for opposition players????

This is my teams roles:

Goalkeeper - Goalkeeper (V.D.Sar)
Rightback - Full Back (Rafael)
Centrebacks - Stopper and Cover (Vidic and Ferdinand)
Left Back - Full back (Evra)
Central midfielders - Deep Lying Playmaker and Box 2 box Midfielder (Demy De Zeeuw and Fletcher)
AMR - Winger (Valencia)
AML - Inside Forward (Nani)
ST1 - Deep lying forward (Rooney)
ST2 - Poacher (Chicarito)

Any help appreciated.View attachment 196798

Everything looks fine :/

Set both your wingers to inside forward and change their wide play to " move into channels". That way they will cut in if the channel is free between the centre back and full back or they will go wide if the channel is free between the full back and the touchline. Have both your wingers duties set to attack.

I always tend to put my full backs on support aswell, Just because they get forward enough anyway with that duty, and it means you don't compromise your defensive stability.

Hope this helps. Its just how i like to play, but not the only way.
I recently realised that manager is not about what works and wins games, but about what style of football you want your team to play. The wins will come after that, and you will be much more happier knowing you are playing your football.

Cheers Jimmy.
Since i posted that i myself changed my full backs to support and Changed AML to Winger.
I Also changed midfielder roles to Central Midfielder Defend and Deep lying Playmaker Support.
MAke some other changes to my Team Instructions and sppears to be working!

Cheers

Cheers Jimmy.
Since i posted that i myself changed my full backs to support and Changed AML to Winger.
I Also changed midfielder roles to Central Midfielder Defend and Deep lying Playmaker Support.
MAke some other changes to my Team Instructions and sppears to be working!

Cheers

Oh good to hear! About to make a tactic for myself to fingers crossed i enjoy some success too!

Try this to get results and perhaps possession:

Philosophy: Fluid(Control whilst playing away at the start if not going well change to Attacking)
Starting Strategy: Attacking

Short Passing
More Roaming
Should also make Chicharito to target man with supply of Run onto ball this is how I usually play

Your defence is also way to high up the pitch bring it down 3 or 4 clicks. That is likely to be why you were destroyed by quick strikers like Cisse.

Try this to get results and perhaps possession:

Philosophy: Fluid(Control whilst playing away at the start if not going well change to Attacking)
Starting Strategy: Attacking

Short Passing
More Roaming
Should also make Chicharito to target man with supply of Run onto ball this is how I usually play

Your defence is also way to high up the pitch bring it down 3 or 4 clicks. That is likely to be why you were destroyed by quick strikers like Cisse.

chapman what would you recommend for my cm's of modric and fletcher, i currently have them on advanced playmaker support ( with hold up ball on ) and ball winning mid defend.

Here's how I play

Goalkeeper - Gk/Defend
RB - Full Back/Auto
CD - Limited Defender/Stopper and Cover
LB - Wing Back/Attack (Gives width down the left as the left winger cuts inside)

MCR - Ball winning midfielder/Defend
MCL - Advanced Playmaker/Support

AMR - Winger/Attack
AML - Inside Forward/Attack

STR - Complete Forward/Support
STL - Poacher

Play Fluid, Attack or Control, Shorter passing, Less creative freedom, More pressing, More roaming, Higher defensive line, Medium width, slow tempo and focus passing as mixed.

chapman what would you recommend for my cm's of modric and fletcher, i currently have them on advanced playmaker support ( with hold up ball on ) and ball winning mid defend.
That's what i think too .
43.gif

Last edited:

This is my opinion. Modric can be set as Playmaker with support duty but untick the hold ball because when he hold ball, your game will be slow and its not good to launch counter attack. Except, you want to control game like Xavi done at Barca, it might be useful. ^^)

Keep the wingers in position, instead of roaming.
Try playing a rigid philosophy.
Untick playmaker.
Speed up tempo (this works a charm for me vs big teams).

You may disagree with these changes, but they have got me results.

Just to remind users of the core of the opening post. Whilst Danny has no problem beating big teams at home, he struggles away to lesser teams. Whilst this can be a mixture of tactical choices and man management, he is asking what changes to his tactic that can be made to ensure that he will win these easier away matches. Here is a quote from the OP

So, back on Topic

Cheers

I wonder if anyone can help me with my tactics, I enclose a screen shot of said tactics.
I'm having a problem away from home.
At home we beat Manchester City 3-0 and Liverpool 5-0.
Unfortunately away from home we get beat by Panathinaikos and drew with Fulham.

Anyway, my thoughts on it

- Perhaps, play a more Balanced approach, using retain possession as the main shout, evcen ijmplement it from the start ( read the first minute). If going 1-0 up and you see that the opponents try to attack you, then I would use the strategy Couter along with the push upp and the get ball forward shout

Last edited:
Basically, I just trained Valencia on the left wing. Yes, his left foot is Weak and therefore his prefrred foot is Right Only, but I got him to cut inside. For you, you have Nani there, and because Nani can use either foot (Left is Strong and Right is Very Strong) you should get him to cut inside.
So you should play AML - Valencia (Inside Forward) and AMR - Nani (Inside Forward).