joethfc

Reaction score
Download: View attachment 180316

Martin Jol arrived in the Premier League in 2004 and was a breath of fresh air when Tottenham had seemed to have given up on innocent attacking football when Glenn Hoddle failed to get the best out of them and Santini (a defensive coach) was hired. As soon as Jol took over, everything changed. I remember Jol's first game in charge, a 3-2 defeat at home to Charlton, a bad result for sure but the way we battled back at 3-0 down seemed to sum up what would come and we did have many more high scoring games.

I have tried to emulate the tactic used for most of the 2005/06 season where a mixture of throwing away points and a bit of poor fortune caused us to miss out on Champions League football but the improvement in one year was superb.

A game I remember against Middlesbrough early in the season got me really excited as we seemed dominant and were playing the team who beat us to the UEFA cup the previous year. Jol's selection appeared to be a standard 4-4-2 but there were no wide men, on the left we had Andy Reid who is a playmaker with no pace or skills of note to be a winger and on the right was Teemu Tainio, very much a typical ballwinner being deployed as some kind of defensive winger/auxiliary midfielder.

View attachment 180303

This system altered slightly to incorporate new signing Jermaine Jenas and promising young winger Aaron Lennon. Lee Young Pyo was signed to replace Erik Edman and was seen as more adventurous. The team who played Everton in a 2-0 victory was a fairly typical lineup apart from Defoe who often failed to get in ahead of Robbie Keane. Tainio also played a lot instead of Lennon or Davids (who was playing in the same defensive winger role as Tainio did against Middlesbrough).

View attachment 180304

My system is based man-for-man on that team who lined up against Everton, the roles could be mirrored if you had a good left winger and a right sided defensive winger and the advanced forward can be changed for a deep-lying forward if that suits better. I think the target man is quite essential though, in that season Spurs struggled to function without Mido and Rasiak was deemed as no suitable replacement. The goalkeeper is set to get the ball to the target man when possible as this started a number of attacks under Jol due to Robinson's long kicking. This represented the English influence on Jol's tactic against the dutch attacking movement and passing game.

View attachment 180305

This tactics is designed to be versatile and I deliberately left everything but the team talks (he gets it so wrong, I had to step in) to the assistant or else there would be many variables at work. This system is also fairly simplistic and will depend on how you set the starting strategy, I have it on standard normally and work from there. I have only used this on a few games but it seems to produce good performances and mostly good results (I must admit to losing some bigger games but we did perform well).

View attachment 180308
This picture shows Kranjcar (our defensive winger [Davids/Tainio]) cutting in and joining the central area.

View attachment 180309
Here we see Lennon (as himself) getting to the byline and crossing unlike Kranjcar.

View attachment 180310
This is Crouch (as Mido) receiving the ball from the keeper and he has 3 (maybe 4) good options.

View attachment 180311
This is King (as himself) in the opposition's half heading bravely back to his team mates. The aerial presence of King and Dawson was crucial in keeping control of games, bear this in mind when buying centre backs.

The most impressive performance was against West Brom who sat in 3rd place, Hoodgson nearly won MotM, we struggled at first, they pushed us back, so I switched to 'Control' and we came back into it, quickly taking the lead, in the second half, I went to 'Counter' and we just kept hitting them, 6-1.

View attachment 180306
View attachment 180307

I am under no illusion that this is a finished project but it is effective enough to share any other Jol fans who could suggest improvements would be welcome and I will also monitor this.

PS. This was made with the 11.3 update.

View attachment 180312
View attachment 180314
View attachment 180315

Last edited:
Should be perfect for them, I reckon it suits good technical teams with no blistering pace. Let me know how you adapt it, this is still in it's infancy really, it's not that complex yet.

First game of the season beat blackburn 2-0 and got a crashdump already :mad:
I'll test it with em again when im on fm next :)