Match engine changes? Underperforming formations.

HMB2000

Reaction score
In FM15, the best formation for me was 4-1-2-3 (4-3-3 with DM). I could modify it mid-game to dominate possession, become ultra-defensive, or become lethally attacking with many chances created. I picked up FM16 on Nov 13 and immediately tried to create a similar 4-3-3 tactic...and it's been terrible. Has something changed in the match engine that makes the 4-1-2-3 less effective?

As a point of curiosity, I'm seeing a lot more teams use the 4-2 DM-3-1 formation, and it looks hellishly effective in FM16 (Arsenal is running rampant). In previous versions I'd mostly see that formation with mid-table teams like Bolton or QPR and I'd take them apart without too much trouble.

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why the classic 4-1-2-3 formation would be less effective. Anyone had a similar experience?

It is not the formation but the players selected combined with the tactical instructions that is the problem in my opnion

I need to refamiliarize myself with the tactical instructions. The ones I used successfully in FM15 don't seem to combine the same way in FM16.

Thanks, wkdsoul, that's exactly what I was looking for!