Reaction score
Hello FM-Base!
I had a really good 1st season with Derby County, promoting them as 1st place exceeding expecations fairly easy. Was really excited for what players I could get and whatnot. Got Mattia Destro on a free transfer, promising high wages (compared to my other players) and thought that he would carry my team. He scored for fun in the friendly matches and made my expectations really high for him. However he have only scored 1 goal & assisted 1 in 11 matches!
This was by far not, what I would call carrying.. So my question to you guys; how do I ultimately get the best out of Mattia Destro? What role, what player instructions etc., etc.?
View attachment 304419

Thanks in advance!

Really depends on your formation, but can't go wrong with the coverall advanced forward...:) I will mention that I bought lewandowski at Liverpool and he got 1 goal in his first 11 games! Went on to get 25 for the season though, sometimes it takes players a while to settle! Who were your friendlies against, I'm guessing not the same calibre as the league teams your playing now?

That is true they were not teams of highest calibre, but he did score 2 against Benfica and 2 against Zaragoza. But watching closely to his stats and his game, he actually don't get many shots away, since my team goes for the long shot over passing - a lot! So perhaps it comes down to my tactic. I must try tweaking it a bit so I can keep long shot at a minimum to none!
Even though I believe the high amount of long shots are a bug in the patch :-(

Thanks for the tip!

That is true they were not teams of highest calibre, but he did score 2 against Benfica and 2 against Zaragoza. But watching closely to his stats and his game, he actually don't get many shots away, since my team goes for the long shot over passing - a lot! So perhaps it comes down to my tactic. I must try tweaking it a bit so I can keep long shot at a minimum to none!
Even though I believe the high amount of long shots are a bug in the patch :-(

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah I find every other game I have a lot of long shots, even with no long shots selected and shouts keep possession and work ball into box selected!:) you might want to see how much support he is getting from midfielders making forward runs and inside forwards/wingers?

Just wanted to make an update on him. He's turned into my team carrier as I longed after so bad!
He's just been called up for Italy, and he is really starting to progress as I expected him to.
View attachment 305368
I put him as a Complete Forward (Support) up front in a 4-1-4-1, and it's working terrific. He keeps scoring game deciding goals in the cup aswell, so happy with Destro now. This guy is one of the main reasons why I'm 9th in the PL at the moment (YAY!)
Absolutely a steal on a free transfer!

Interesting was going to sign him in my second season for free with Swansea but his massive wage demands where a put off for me!!

Love a bit of Destro, can be slightly injury prone, but a great all-round forward.

He's a complete beast for me.
I play him in a 442 mainly as a DLF with Cavani partnering him as a poacher.
Basically play him as a DLF with a poacher, some pacey wingers and you're set.

Although I played him at the top in a 4-2-3-1 against Barca in the CL semi-final due to an injury crisis and he set up 2 and scored 2 in a 7-0 demolition of Barca :D To be fair, they did have 10 men for most of the game though

and S.O.Ds laws dictates that he just scored 5 goals in one game against stoke so now i have to take it all back

Just wanted to make yet another update for the interested :)
He have become a top scorer in the PL even with a recent form-dip:
View attachment 306337
Making him the only reason why I'm having the current success with Derby (5th in the PL in season 3).
I never substitute him, even if he have a bad game, because he is such a talented player on the ball and can change a game in 1 run at goal.

He's a must-buy; especially considered he's free!!!

DESTRO..... interesting player :) I bought him for Newcastle playing him as CF on attack,only him and Cisse are on attack, and first season that he played for me (that is second season on my save) he was AWESOME, absolutely beast score almost every game at the end at the season he was with 21 goals and 11 assists, but after that..... next season hes goals have a huge decrease his rating a little worst than before but the 3 season was the baddest - not goals. not assists, low rating ... and i`m probably sell him while he worth something, i buy him on free now worth 20 mil euro...for now
I

what to do with him ?

Last edited:
could anyone help me get the most out of him?

i play him as a lone striker usually an af and he has been very hit and miss.

i play attacking 4-5-1 and a 4-2-3-1 (one with two cms and two ams on wings). I ususally play the amr as a winger-attack and the aml as a IF-attack (sometimes i'll switch to match the players.

My passing is short and my crossing is default any advice?

zaid 92- i also play him as a lone striker with bale and lennon on the wings and a creative midfielder in the centre all with lots of through balls ticked and Destro as the main poacher in my team. Perhaps have the fullbacks hug the touchline and go forward with plenty of crosses into the centre as Kyle Walker as the leading assist maker in my Spurs side at the moment with Destro on about 8 goals in 6 games..

Scored 36 in 37 starts on my FC Porto save after a free at the end of first season. Worth around 15-20 mil already. Check out my story FC Porto - Return To Glory theres a lot about him in there