James1517

Reaction score
Need some help with recreating Pochettino's 13-14 season tactics as I'm struggling.

so, 4-2-3-1 based on high intensity pressing and ball retention, however not sure whether to just use a 4-2-3-1 wide or asymmetric.

fluid
attacking?

TI:
For pressing: play narrower, much higher defensive line, Close down much more, get stuck in, use tighter marking, prevent short GK
For ball retention: Retain possession, play out of defence, shorter passing?

player roles:
Shaw and Clyne provided width for Southampton, Rodriguez often got in behind the defence from the left wing, Davis was like a playmaker on the right wing, Lambert would drift wide I think. Cork would drop in between the two centre backs to allow full backs to get forward.

Opposition instructions:
ive tried applying *** man's advice and then setting close down more on defence and GK, for some reason forwards just seem to be getting in behind my defence to easy.

These are just rough guidlines from what I saw from Poch's Southampton. Help would be much appreciated, would love to recreate Pochettino's tactics, but really struggling at the moment.

I wouldn't put shorter passing as according to WhoScored they had the 2nd most accurate long balls and the most inaccurate short passes.

I wouldn't put shorter passing as according to WhoScored they had the 2nd most accurate long balls and the most inaccurate short passes.

Would you use work ball into box and would you choose offside trap as well as tighter marking. Thing is I don't know what player instructions to have if you're using offside trap as well, would you set all 4 defenders to mark tighter? Or CBs close down less and FBs close down more? What player roles would you say the ST, AML/R, and CMs should have?

Would you use work ball into box and would you choose offside trap as well as tighter marking. Thing is I don't know what player instructions to have if you're using offside trap as well, would you set all 4 defenders to mark tighter? Or CBs close down less and FBs close down more? What player roles would you say the ST, AML/R, and CMs should have?

These links are for Spurs but list what he did for Southampton. The first link is about the style, second about Keppers, third about defence, fourth about midfield and the last is about forwards.

How Mauricio Pochettino will change Spurs | blog | Spurs Fanatic

How Mauricio Pochettino will change Spurs: Goalkeepers | blog | Spurs Fanatic

How Mauricio Pochettino will change Spurs: Defence | blog | Spurs Fanatic

How Mauricio Pochettino will change Spurs: Midfield | blog | Spurs Fanatic

How Mauricio Pochettino will change Spurs: Forwards | blog | Spurs Fanatic