Maurizio Sarri Napoli Tactics Discussion

Ghost77

Reaction score
Hi guys,
this season I am facinated by Maurizio Sarri and his brilliant tactic, which led Napoli to title race in Serie A. I hope some of you saw it in action and will be able to help me with some problematic elements in replicating the tactic.

Official shape is 4-3-3:

View attachment 159835

But on the pitch it is highly asymmetric a players have quite different tasks. Here are average positions from the match with Juventus (Hysaj, Allan and Callejón frustrated Pogba very well :) ):

View attachment 159837

The team is generally playing higher tempo one touch football with good effectivity in the box. Presses high up the pitch, but is very well consolidated in defence (team shape changes to 4-5-1 when in own half without ball).

These are basic team instructions I think the tactics should have:

View attachment 159824

Team is attacking mainly through left side, where inside forward Insigne cuts inside and overlaps with central midfielder Hamšík, while left back Ghoulam stays near the line. On the other side there is Hysaj-Allan-Callejón combo, which is much deeper, but can go up the pitch really fast. Callejón is usually playing in halfspace, creating chances for Higuaín or himself. The key player is of course Jorginho in the middle whose precise passing dictates the tempo.

This is my basic team shape with roles in FM:

View attachment 159822

My main problems are:

A) Hamšík role. As i said above he is overlapping with Insigne. Sometimes he is playin almost winger. However he covers a lot in the middle, comes deep to get ball and support Jorginho and simultaneously attacks, distributes balls to Higuaín, Insigne and Callejón and finishes from the edge of the box. I chose central midfielder with attack duty as it make sense for me. However I would appreciate you tips.

B) Callejón role. I chose wide midfielder with attack as he is using different space in comparsion with inside forward Insigne on the left. He is great when defending. Sometimes he is in the line with right back Hysaj, but sharp with forward runs into halfspace. I am wondering about any other role... what do you think?

C) Insigne, I think, is classic inside forward. Problem is when defending. He is not backtracking as I want him to. On the other side I want him to be high up the pitch (picture with average positions). I am afraid this is unsolvable. Any ideas?

D) Allan could be ballwinning midfielder as he is starting the pressing sequences. Sometimes he runs with ball into the box, but mainly he supports the right side and Jorginho. I think central midfielder with support duty is more universal...

I am open to any tips, ideas, observations and suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:
You said that the shape is a 4-5-1 when defending. The formation you choose in FM is the defensive shape - so choose a 4-5-1?

You're giving the AML a role and more importantly a duty where he won't track back as it isn't his duty to.

You said that the shape is a 4-5-1 when defending. The formation you choose in FM is the defensive shape - so choose a 4-5-1?

You're giving the AML a role and more importantly a duty where he won't track back as it isn't his duty to.

Yes, I tried that, but when I drag him back to LM position, he doesn't act like inside forward anymore. I tried all the roles in LM with specific instructions and he is playing still to deep.

Here he is when defending - that's allright with 4-5-1 shape:

View attachment 159726

Here he is when pressing - he does that only in AML position, in 4-5-1 he never goes this high:

View attachment 159727

Here he is when attacking (not the best of pictures, I couldn't find any) - but what I want to say is, he is playing too deep from LM position. I want him to act as classic inside foward in attack.

View attachment 159725

As the average positions in OP tell, he is the highest playing man in the team. Even in comparsion with Higuaín.

Last edited:
He's defending in line with the other midfielders. You said so yourself. That's a ML. Now, you want him to be very advanced when attacking, so for him to bomb forward, he needs an Attack duty. You said he presses heavily at times, so you can even increase his closing down.

If you give him an Attack duty at AML, he won't drop deep. It isn't his job then.

If you're not seeing the ML being the highest player, ask yourself why. Why did you ask the wide midfielders reduce the forward runs they make? It sounds like you actually want especially the ML to do so, but instead you ask him not to and hold up the ball. It doesn't make sense.

Does Higuain drop as deep as you need him to?

If you're not seeing the ML being the highest player, ask yourself why. Why did you ask the wide midfielders reduce the forward runs they make? It sounds like you actually want especially the ML to do so, but instead you ask him not to and hold up the ball. It doesn't make sense.

Does Higuain drop as deep as you need him to?

Sorry, maybe I don't understand well (I am not English). I want the ML to be in line with other midfielders when defendig deep. But to be very active when pressing high up the pitch a be positioned very high when attacking. When did I ask him to hold up the ball?

Yes Higuaín is quite ok. Deeplying foward with support duty is probably working better than Complete Forward - support in this case.

Sorry, maybe I don't understand well (I am not English). I want the ML to be in line with other midfielders when defendig deep. But to be very active when pressing high up the pitch a be positioned very high when attacking. When did I ask him to hold up the ball?
You've instructed the wide players to make fewer forward runs and hold up the ball because you have Look For Overlap selected. That's what they will do to encourage overlaps.

You've instructed the wide players to make fewer forward runs and hold up the ball because you have Look For Overlap selected. That's what they will do to encourage overlaps.

Oh yes, you are right! I didn't realise that. I hope wide defenders will be included in attacking without this option. In reality left back Ghoulam is playing very high, joining Insigne and Hamšík in combianations in narrow space. I am afraid that with attack duty he will leave the defence exposed, so I will try a few matches.

What about Hamšík? As I said, he is sometimes running wide to the line, when Insigne is in the box and Ghoulam not high enough. Do you think it is possible to implement somehow?

Have you seen them play under Sarri? Do you have any other suggestions or modifications?

Oh yes, you are right! I didn't realise that. I hope wide defenders will be included in attacking without this option. In reality left back Ghoulam is playing very high, joining Insigne and Hamšík in combianations in narrow space. I am afraid that with attack duty he will leave the defence exposed, so I will try a few matches.

What about Hamšík? As I said, he is sometimes running wide to the line, when Insigne is in the box and Ghoulam not high enough. Do you think it is possible to implement somehow?

Have you seen them play under Sarri? Do you have any other suggestions or modifications?

I'm going by what you've posted only.

You won't see much overlapping as you've given both wide players Attack duties, so it is their job to make constant forward runs. The wingbacks will get forward though, especially later into moves.

What about the Hamsik role? What isn't he doing in-game that he is doing IRL?

What about the Hamsik role? What isn't he doing in-game that he is doing IRL?

IRL he is defending well and also make many foward runs. That is why I gave him central midfielder role and attack duty and it works quit well. But I haven't found any option to make him go to the left side, where he often fills in for Insigne, who is in the box or somewhere else. Hamšík's runs also often start from the left side to be able shoot with right leg.

Here you can see Hamšík near the line, offering option to left back Strinic:

View attachment 159717

Here is another move of Hamšík, when Insigne cuts inside, and also Callejón's movement:

View attachment 159716

That is why I gave Callejón attack duty and sit narrower . IRL he is constantly bombing foward, but uses halfspace well and sometimes he even goes to the left wing to overload this space with Insigne, Hamšík and Ghoulam. On the other hand he is amazing when defending on his side, usually almost lines up with right back Hysaj. In FM his movement isn't so free, so I tried to give him Roam from position instruction, but he's not so responsible in defending than or maybe he just can't track back so fast. He does it IRL though.

If you have some time you can watch these highlights. They beat Juventus 2:1 and there are some typical combinations between Hamšík, Insigne and others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW1Pcv8hat0

Here is match against Hellas with Callejón movement observable very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9N5X3wqTbM

Last edited:
So have you looked at Moves Into Channels in particular to get him to drift wide and/or Roam From Position? If you didn't, why not?

Yes, I have these instructions active, but he does it rarely. Maybe I just want too much from a game :)

Last edited:
Have you actually watched Napoli at all?

In the last pic, the movement is very different to what you showed us in the beginning of this thread. Here Insigne is far from the most advanced player as he drifts sideways to the inside (so very far from an Attack duty), allowing Hamsik to drift to the outside, sideways (also not really Attack duty worthy) and Higuain making forward runs instead of dropping deep.

My advice is to get 1 plan and implement that. You're trying to implement multiple real life matches with varying tactics into 1 tactic on FM and that will never, ever work. It's horribly confusing.

There is no need to be ironic. Yes. I saw every league match from the start of the season, it's connected to my profession.

I agree that the movements are different, but they do them almost all in every match. Sometimes Insigne cuts inside, sometimes he stays in the wing, sometimes he is running into box. Callejón is on the right side most of the times, but than suddenly he makes two diagonal runs to the left wing. The players are deciding on the pitch.

However, I get your point about implemeting all the moves they performed from the start of the season into one tactic. That's impossible. What I am trying is to pick to most obvious and important ones and make them work.

1) Insigne is almost forward, but he is tracking back. In most matches (according to my sources) he is the highest positioned player (average). Sometimes he cuts inside, sometimes cross from the wing. He is deciding.

2) Hamšík drifts outside when Insigne cuts inside. If Insigne stays in the wing, Hamšík is running towards the box.

3) Higuín is in most matches deeper that Insigne. Supporting and trying one-twos with midlfielders. If there is suddenly enough space he goes for forward run or shooting.

4) Callejón is more like right midfielder with good stamina and work rate. Attacking high (clearly not as high as Insigne) and defending very responsibly. With enough space, he can drift to the centre or left wing to overload opposition defence there.

These are in my view the most important moves. Napoli are doing them all in almost every match. Signle match. If it is a problem to implement these in FM into one tactic, I am OK with it. But IRL they do it. So please don't go "have you actually watched Napoli at all?" with me.

I wasn't being ironic or whatever. I'm asking a valid question? You're posting youtube (Key Highlights in FM terms) highlights, which is extremely poor if you're using that to set up the tactic. If you actually watch Napoli matches, you see more of a match, so you can then properly explain what movement you're looking for.

Before I withdraw from this discussion, I'll leave you with this : Support Duty players make forward runs too. They're just more selective about them and often make them later (when it's safer) into moves. The runs are quite a bit more frequent and obvious on the more aggressive Mentalities, such as Control.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't apprehand it like a valid question. I am not 16, mate. When I setup tactics like that a make OP like this I think it would be fair from you to suggest, that I saw some matches. I posted the youtube highlights just for you to have some little insight to the way they are attacking, because you said you don't follow them. When I am watching Napoli IRL, I have a pen and a paper in my hands. In my FM matches I never go below comprehensive. I don't know what made you think I am some kid who want tactics based on youtube highlights.

Otherwise, thanks for your tips. Now I know that support duty has a forward runs too and maybe I don't have to be so expansive in midfield. Thats exactly why I opened this thread. I am sorry to see you go, your tips are useful and I thought this could be a good discussion.

Have You considered to play strikerless? From what I saw (I have not watch every game though), Iguain is playing really deep until he decide to make run. This will also give you possible solution for Insigne to act as INF on left midfield side and to be your most advanced player, and some tweaking possibilities in your midfield trio.
I have noticed that Hamsik is playing a bit different this year then previously, he is much more pulled back then before and much less involved in finishing then before. So for me, he is playing more like some RPM type of player (or CM with roam more and driblle more instruction), who is covering, offering support and starting moves and comes late on the edge or into box. Similar goes to Alan, only I am shore that he is Regista type of player, as he is more pulled back...
Also, the way you described Callejon, for me it looks just like WPM on attack duty...

And finally, team mentality, I do not think they are control type of team, but they are extremely aggressive with ball, they tend to risk much with ball and send a lot direct passes. They are also extremely aggressive without the ball, even more then with the ball, but they are also extremely narrow, which reduces space for opponent.

If I was to make this formation, I would start with 4-3(DM)-2(wingers)-AM (I am not shore which role though), extremly aggressive in closing down, narrow and attacking, maybe even overload mentality. And then I would consider moving Hamsik to CM position slightly on left.

Hey Duca, I never thought about it like this.. but it could work. I will try to test it. Callejón's role is tough. I don't think he is playmaker - they go through Jorginho, Hamšík and Insigne.. I think he is more like defensive winger with some roaming.. defending well, but always prepared to attack.

And yes, the Higuaín role in strikerless will be kind of nutshell..

My main problems are:

A) Hamšík role. As i said above he is overlapping with Insigne. Sometimes he is playin almost winger. However he covers a lot in the middle, comes deep to get ball and support Jorginho and simultaneously attacks, distributes balls to Higuaín, Insigne and Callejón and finishes from the edge of the box. I chose central midfielder with attack duty as it make sense for me. However I would appreciate you tips.

B) Callejón role. I chose wide midfielder with attack as he is using different space in comparsion with inside forward Insigne on the left. He is great when defending. Sometimes he is in the line with right back Hysaj, but sharp with forward runs into halfspace. I am wondering about any other role... what do you think?

C) Insigne, I think, is classic inside forward. Problem is when defending. He is not backtracking as I want him to. On the other side I want him to be high up the pitch (picture with average positions). I am afraid this is unsolvable. Any ideas?

D) Allan could be ballwinning midfielder as he is starting the pressing sequences. Sometimes he runs with ball into the box, but mainly he supports the right side and Jorginho. I think central midfielder with support duty is more universal...

I think the crux of what WJ was saying is that there seems to be two distinct plans in what you've shown, but you're trying to put it into one tactic, then again I'm a pacifist so I read everything in the nicest possible tone.

For Insigne, playing him as a WM on attack with the Dribble More, Roam From Position, Cross From Byline, and Cut Inside with Ball PIs will allow him to mimic an IF(a) while still offering more defensively. Increasing line height and closing down for the team or specifically for him will also see him press higher up.

For Hamsik, it'll be hard to get him to go around the outside of Insigne consistently and based on the average positioning from the Juve game, he doesn't seem to do that consistently either as his avg position is inside Insigne's. However having him as a CM(a) will run you into the very real problem of them taking up each other's space. Try a CM(s) with Roam From Position or Move Into Channels, that way you can add Get Further Forward if needed rather than it being set by default. He'll make forward runs, just as WJ said it would be later in the move, and a bit more so with Get Further Forward.

For Allan, since you've got that DLP(d) behind him, a BWM could work or a BBM or CM(s) modified to be more defensive.

I think the crux of what WJ was saying is that there seems to be two distinct plans in what you've shown, but you're trying to put it into one tactic, then again I'm a pacifist so I read everything in the nicest possible tone.

For Insigne, playing him as a WM on attack with the Dribble More, Roam From Position, Cross From Byline, and Cut Inside with Ball PIs will allow him to mimic an IF(a) while still offering more defensively. Increasing line height and closing down for the team or specifically for him will also see him press higher up.

For Hamsik, it'll be hard to get him to go around the outside of Insigne consistently and based on the average positioning from the Juve game, he doesn't seem to do that consistently either as his avg position is inside Insigne's. However having him as a CM(a) will run you into the very real problem of them taking up each other's space. Try a CM(s) with Roam From Position or Move Into Channels, that way you can add Get Further Forward if needed rather than it being set by default. He'll make forward runs, just as WJ said it would be later in the move, and a bit more so with Get Further Forward.

For Allan, since you've got that DLP(d) behind him, a BWM could work or a BBM or CM(s) modified to be more defensive.

Thanks for feedback, mate. Yes I know what WJ meant. I didn't base it all on the average positions from Juventus match, this picture was just for info. I went through all the matches this season and average positions are usually like that. And I think that the main moves (or plans), that I mentioned above, don't cancel each other out and could or should work in one tactic. If you think they are, feel free to tell me specifically.

(I probably should have taken it more lightly from WJ, but I've put a lot of time in to this and into watching the matches, so it got me angry when he asked me if I have watched them at all. Sometimes mods are automatically doubting your credit with little reason)

Insigne role is working quite well. You are right, that Hamšík is sometimes in the same space as Insigne, but with support duty he doesn't attack as much as I want him to. I was thinking about roaming playmaker role (as Duca suggested). Otherwise CM-A is ok. In reality he is drifting wide when Insigne cuts inside or when Insigne is supporting Higuaín in the box. Maybe the playmaker role will make him decide more like this in the specific situation.

Allan is on CM-S and working well. At first I had him as BWM, but his moves were kind of onedimensional. Maybe I can try BBM and see what it does.

Thanks for feedback, mate. Yes I know what WJ meant. I didn't base it all on the average positions from Juventus match, this picture was just for info. I went through all the matches this season and average positions are usually like that. And I think that the main moves (or plans), that I mentioned above, don't cancel each other out and could or should work in one tactic. If you think they are, feel free to tell me specifically.

(I probably should have taken it more lightly from WJ, but I've put a lot of time in to this and into watching the matches, so it got me angry when he asked me if I have watched them at all. Sometimes mods are automatically doubting your credit with little reason)

Insigne role is working quite well. You are right, that Hamšík is sometimes in the same space as Insigne, but with support duty he doesn't attack as much as I want him to. I was thinking about roaming playmaker role (as Duca suggested). Otherwise CM-A is ok. In reality he is drifting wide when Insigne cuts inside or when Insigne is supporting Higuaín in the box. Maybe the playmaker role will make him decide more like this in the specific situation.

Allan is on CM-S and working well. At first I had him as BWM, but his moves were kind of onedimensional. Maybe I can try BBM and see what it does.
Good stuff. What did you end up doing with Higuain?

Good stuff. What did you end up doing with Higuain?

In normal setup I used deeplying forward, in strikerless I tried shadow striker.. problem is, he isn't scoring.. most goals are from midfield. I really don't know, which role to use..