Max

Reaction score
Hello. :)

This is my new tactic I created on Friday with Blackburn, and it's given me great success so far. I took charge at Blackburn at the start of the second season and inherited basically the default squad without Hoilett and Olsson who had been sold, and I had to rely on younger players like Alan Judge, and Aaron Doran to step up into the first team and make an instant impact.

I was predicted to finish 15th that season, and my objective was to "avoid relegation", but this tactic helped me to finish 8th in the league, only 6 points behind 5th in a very tight league table.

This tactic is not a high scoring tactic, but is solid enough in defence to keep hold of leads at the end of games.

Here are some screenshots of my 2009/2010 season which we overachieved in by quite a lot, and also reached a League Cup semi-final which we sadly lost to Aston Villa in, 6-4 on aggregate.

View attachment 60907 View attachment 60908 View attachment 60909 View attachment 60910 View attachment 60911 View attachment 60912 View attachment 60913

My best players from this season were Steven N'Zonzi, Alan Judge, Aaron Doran, Christopher Samba, Paul Robinson, Artem Milevskyi and Steven Reid. All these players finished with quite high average ratings, and Milevskyi finished as my top scorer after being brought in at January after Kalinic didn't suit the tactic to well.

View attachment 60915 View attachment 60916 View attachment 60917 View attachment 60918 View attachment 60919 View attachment 60920

So, now I've shown some evidence of the tactic in play and how it's worked for me, now I'll give you information on defence, midfield and attack in this tactic.

Goalkeeper:

Key stats:
Reflexes
One on One's
Aerial Ability
Handling

Any 'keeper needs these stats to be consistent and anti error prone in goal, the higher the stats, usually the better the 'keeper.

Full backs:

Key stats:
Marking
Tackling
Off the ball
Crossing
Work Rate

You may be wondering why 'Off the Ball' is a key stat for this position, and it's mainly because both my full backs have good ratings for it and have been very consistent. It also helps against pacey wingers with good Off the Ball as full backs keep track of them easier, and obviously marking and tackling need to be high and there is no point behind able to stand near a player without marking or tackling him properly

Centre backs:

Key stats:
Marking
Tackling
Jumping
Heading
Strength and pace (pace isn't a must but it is a big bonus vs faster strikers)
Bravery
Concentration

As you can see centre backs need some stats, but these stats are all which any good centre back should have. Stats like Marking, Tackling, Concentration and Bravery are all important as they are the fundamentals of defending. Both my centre backs (Dawson and Samba) have high ratings for bravery, and are fantastically consistent, so this could be seen as an important attribute to have.

Wide Midfielders:

Key stats:
Work Rate
Teamwork
Dribbling
Crossing
Pace

You may think if a player is a wide midfielder, it's because he doesn't have any real pace or great technical ability, but my wingers had both of that and a good work rate. Pedersen on the left wasn't too fast, but his work rate and technical ability was very good, and he was very effective. Aaron Doran on the right was quick with a good work rate, and had about 15 dribbling aswell, so he was an all round quality winger for me. Most importantly here though is Team Work and Work Rate, as they are what you definitely need as a wide midfielder.

Centre midfielders:

Key stats:
Passing
Teamwork
Work rate
Long shots (just a bonus, but my midfielders have scored a lot of long shots)
Stamina

All of these are important as the two centre midfielder's are Box to Box midfielder's, and N'Zonzi, Reid and Linganzi have scored a few from midfield, and N'Zonzi loves to drive into the box from deep and has scored quite a few headers. Overall this has been a huge part of the team for me, and possibly the most important position. I highly recommend buying Steven N'Zonzi, he is quality.

Attacking Midfielder:

Key stats:
Technique
Flair
Dribbling
Finishing
Long shots (once again just a bonus really as it gives you different options)
Creativity
Passing

This has also been an important position in my team for me, as I've been swapping between Dunn, Jimenez and Judge throughout the season, and have found this works best as an advanced playmaker with the attack option, and Alan Judge got himself 4 goals and 8 assists in the league; highly impressive for a player that had no real Premier League experience. Dribbling and finishing are key here as Judge has danced through defences time and time again and has scored important goals. Obviously passing and creativity are important aswell as the AM needs to create most importantly.

Lone Striker

Key stats:
Heading
Finishing
Composure
Strength and pace (once again bonuses but help a lot as he is on his own)
Long shots (as always, just a bonus that can be great in any situation)
Off the Ball

This player needs to able to finish, as he won't get too many chances in the game, so finishing, heading and composure are extremely important. This role has had it's problems from time to time, with Kalinic not scoring at all, and my former player Jimmy Briand not finishing either, so I brought in Artem Milevskyi for £6m in January and he was perfect, scoring 8 league goals in 17 games which helped me a lot. Off the ball is important so that the AM can find the striker with through balls easier.

So, that is all the key stats for the players if you need help with them, and I have based them on my players that have played well in those positions, so feel free to try other things but this is what I've found successful.

I am planning on releasing a V2 of this tactic, as I've tweaked in my next season and the team is playing very well, that should be released by the end of this week. :)

As I've uploaded it to the site, but I don't think it's been activated yet, I will attach the tactic at the bottom for you all until it works on the site. :)

Any feedback is welcome, but please do not moan if it doesn't work for you. I am not saying this tactic is unbeatable, it has no corner glitches and it's just a tactic that has worked well for me. Creating tactics for all of you and then creating the thread does take a while and a lot of effort, so please be grateful and don't complain because you lose a few games when you start using it, it might take a while to get used to.

Cheers, and I hope the tactic works for you. ^^)

Max (K)

Link to tactic (might not be activated) - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=2414

Last edited:
thank you Max - might help me win a few games with Falkirk ;)

No problem Nick, hope it helps.

Edited OP with link to tactic, although I'm not sure if it's activated yet.

Good job pal, I do not use downloaded tactics anymore but I am sure that some people will :)

Cheers Dan.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

The link is now working for download I think. :)

would be better if u put a screenie of ur team instructions max

Great OP, well explained tactic. I am a big fan of the 4-4-1-1 myself. Might check it out later ;)

I love you max, this is my favourite formation, i will no doubt use these

who did you sell in your first season mate?

Good to see new tactic, after i had no internet for around 2 weeks