y2xtreme

Reaction score
Melbourne Heart - Home *Emulation*

Hi, this is my first serious attempt at an emulation tactic of Melbourne Heart FC who play in the Hyundai A-league of Australia. Melbourne Heart are a new team in the league having just joined this season as the second Melbourne team.

Melbourne Heart are coached by John Van 't Schip who has previously been an assistant manager of Ajax, the Dutch National team and the manager of FC Twente. He has also had 41 caps for the Dutch National team during his playing days. Van 't Schip wanted to bring European styled football (specifically dutch) to his team and has gone with a formation very much simialr to the 4-3-3 with which Ajax made famous.

This formation involves the use of a target man, attacking wing backs, a primary playmaker as well as a solid midfield.

Here is what the formation looks like, notice the wide winger with a central striker and a winger/striker alot closer to the middle of the park.
jgnwua.jpg

Here are the team instructions used in the tactic.
(Tempo and Width can be changed without too much trouble but it is recommended that if you change 1 the other should be changed as well)

Philosophy - Very Fluid
Strating Strategy - Control
Passing Style - Shorter
Creative Freedom - More Expressive
Closing Down - Press More
Tackling - More Aggressive
Marking - Zonal
Crossing - Default
Roaming - More
Defensive Line - Push Up
Width - Narrow
Tempo - Quick
Focus Passing - Through Middle
Counter Attack - Yes
Play Offside - No

Here are the specific player instructions (if not mention leave how they are)

GK- Defend
WBR and WBL - Wing Back - Attack
Wide Play-Hug Touchline
Tight Marking - Yes
DCR - Central Defender - Defend
Mentality - 1 below Normal
Creative Freedom - 3 below Normal
DCL - Ball Playing Defender - Defend
Mentality - 1 Below Normal
Creative Freedom - 1 Below Normal
Through Balls - Sometimes
MC - Advanced Playmaker - Attack
Mentality - 3 Above Normal
Tackling - Normal
Crossing - Rare
Roaming - Yes
MCR - Box to Box - Support
Creative Freedom - 2 Below Middle
Long shots - Middle
Crossing - Rare
MCL - Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend
Mentality - Most Defensive
Creative Freedom - 3 Below Middle
Closing Down - Whole Pitch
Tackling - Hard
Through Balls - Sometimes
STCR - Defensive Forward - Attack
Run with Ball - Often
Hold Up Ball - No
STC - Complete Forward - Attack
Passing - Short
Run with Ball - Rare
Crossing - Rare
Hold Up Ball - Yes
STL - Winger- Support
Mentality - 2 below Middle
Creative Freedom - 1st Much
Crossing - Sometimes
Cross Aim - Target Man
Wide Play - Move into Channels
Cross From - Mixed

Warning
It is not recommended to use this tactic anywhere other than Home matches or away matches against significantly worse teams due to the quite attacking nature of the tactic. I am currently in the process of emulating the away tactic used by Melbourne Heart which is a bit less attacking and more defensive which i will also post on here.

Feedback more than welcome!

Here is the tactic download link
Melbourne Heart - Home (Melbourne Heart FC, Jun 2010).tac - 1.1 KB

Last edited:
Cheers mate, let me know how it goes and what tempo/width you decided to use
I am just starting my game so going to check it out myself and post up how it goes

That tactic look's crazy mate :p haha! I may try it out though!

Yea not sure how successful it will be but just tried to copy the current tactics as closely as possible. My away version of this tactic will probably be alot more feasible to actually use :p but i will be posting that sometime next week.

I think Josip Skoko should be defensive in the centre of midfield and Matt Thompson should be attacking on the left of midfield

Yea they can probably be swapped around, although i think i would rather have Thompson at LB and have Shroj in the defensive midfield role