Memoirs of a Geisha

Murali

Reaction score
NEw films coming out based on the book. Am reading book atm its a good read. And its a japanese film (but non of the kung-fu kick *** **** though :( ) but its a good story. ITs also got that bird who was in crouching tiger and the flying daggers chow yo fat or sommat lol.

It has Ziyi Zhang in it. For those of you who don't know she's the one from Crouching Tiger, House Of Flying Daggers, Hero, Rush Hour etc...

Plot Summary
In 1929 an impoverished nine-year-old named Chiyo from a fishing village is sold to a geisha house in Kyoto's Gion district and subjected to cruel treatment from the owners and the head geisha Hatsumomo. Her stunning beauty attracts the vindictive jealousy of Hatsumomo, until she is rescued by and taken under the wing of Hatsumomo's bitter rival, Mameha. Under Mameha's mentorship, Chiyo becomes the geisha named Sayuri, trained in all the artistic and social skills a geisha must master in order to survive in her society. As a renowned geisha she enters a society of wealth, privilege, and political intrigue. As World War II looms Japan and the geisha's world are forever changed by the onslaught of history.

Seems a bit weird that a Japanese themed film is being directed by an American.

How do you rate it [the book] so far Murali?

Is she in rush hour ! :O she well good looking

I think the book's really good am enjoying reading it, which is quite wierd really.

considering reading it sean :p

I havn't read a book (outside of school) for years.

Its out on the 23rd(friday?) and i thought the book was really good.

were you just the goosebumps type sean :p

Bet he was :p

I saw the trailer for it last night and it looks...thought-provoking

Seen the trailer a few times now and I have to say how boring it looks and hor scary her eyes are. Also if there's no kung-fu **** going down then it's a waste of Ziyi Zhang.

seen it last night, it was really good, ziyi zhang was fantastic shes proved that she can actually act. in fact all teh actors were good. hers eyes arent scary as well,their lovely. its cos u need more than a few brain cells to read a book and then like it lee.

I've seen it too Murali. It's a good film and has a very good story. Zhiyi is quality in it especially as she has to be able to look 15-35, now that has to be rare. Michelle Yeoh was good in it too and was glad to see Ken Watanabe in :D

So if you can't watch a film unless it has things blowing up then simply don't watch it. But if your not an idiot then I recommend it.

7/10

Wohooo well done seanykins. i like the way u make is sound like ken watanbe is ur long lost best mate (or twin brother ! :O ) is he the chairman ?

See the last sentence is key there sean :p

Yes he is the chairman. He's in The Last Samurai that's where I knew him from :D

Yeh i liked the chairman as well. wish they were selling geisha on play.com, id snap it up. but i hav got LOTR and house of flying daggers, completely under the reccomendations of the taylors.