Codyars

Reaction score
Hi there! I’ve been reading these stories for years but never actually post before. Here goes!

My goal is to take the United States Men’s National Team and turn it into a world super power, winning the World Cup and becoming the #1 ranked team in the world! I know I have my work cut out for me…but dammit, this nation needs this!

June 2016

Formation: 4-2-3-1 Wide
Key Players Now: Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Christian Pulisic
Key Future Players: Christian Pulisic, Haji Wright, Cameron Carter-Vickers

Manager: Cody Ray-Snyder

Goal: Qualify for Russia 2018

Here Goes!

Building the team

First thing’s first, and that’s building a strong defense. I value speed in my wingers while I value height and jumping in my center backs. I don’t care either way if my players play in the MLS or in foreign leagues, so let’s take a look at my keepers.

The game defaults to Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, and William Yarbrough. With Tim Howard on the wrong side of 35, I’m forcing him into an early retirement and looking towards other options. Bill Hamid of DC United is in the midst of a strong season where his team will take home the 4th​ best defense in the league while Sean Johnson remains the integral part of Chicago’s defense keeping up (9) clean sheets to this point. I keep Yarbrough as a building-block for the future and add the two MLS stars to my line-up at the start of a new era.

On the left, I bring in Fabian Johnson who can also fill in at left wing if need-be and Edgar Castillo as his backup, both with astounding speed and decent crossing. John Brooks (hands-down best defender available) and Omar Gonzalez form my midfield tandem, each sporting (17) jumping reach. I bring Matt Beasler in as a veteran presence in case Omar Gonzalez doesn’t work out. Matt Miazga fills out my 4-man rotation at centerback as more of a long-term project as he’s only (20) years old. On the right I bring in the insanely fast DeAndre Yedlin and pair him with the fast-but-not-Flash Andrew Farrell who makes up for his lack of speed with decent crossing.

When I look at my center-midfield I see that I need to fill some gaps between my back-line and front-line, so I reach out to the best natural player I have to do that—Captain Michael Bradley. Sacha Kljestan of New York City comes in to finish off my two-man midfield, with Alfredo Morales and Danny Williams coming in as their backups.

Attacking mid was another easy decision with Clint Dempsey taking up the role and newbie Darlington Nagbe coming in to back up the veteran. Jozy Altidore reprises his role as the key striker of the team with Bobby Wood coming in from Germany to help out in clean-up. Pulisic is a lock for the left wing, while Gyasi Zardes and Kelyn Rowe bring about the right wing. Swiss army knife Julian Greene comes in to round out my squad.

Line-Up: Bill Hamid, Fabian Johnson, DeAndre Yedlin, John Brooks, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Bradley, Sacha Kljestan, Clint Dempsey, Christian Pulisic, Gyasi Zardes, Jozy Altridore

Bubble Players: Julian Greene, Sean Johnson, Bobby Wood, Alfredo Morales, Darlington Nagbee

Update 3.8.18

clip_image002.jpg

The first international session was a flying success. A tough start against Guatemala turned into a 1-0 victory on an 85’ rocket from superstar captain Michael Bradley in Chicago. Traveling to St. Vincent, Pulisic netted twice in 10 minutes and Zardes added one and Bobby Wood added two to bring out a 5-goal lead. Jozy Altidore and Christian Pulisic each netted themselves a Man of the Match award.

clip_image003.png

The fourth round ended with USA advancing on a perfect 18 points and dominating the rest of the group.

World Ranking: 19th​ (+6)

Power-Ranking Best 15:
  1. Michael Bradley
  2. Christian Pulisic
  3. Clint Dempsey
  4. John Brooks
  5. Fabian Johnson
  6. Bill Hamid
  7. Bobby Wood
  8. Jozy Altidore
  9. Darlington Nagbe
  10. Edgar Castillo