Messi better than Ronaldo - Cole

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Chelsea's Joe Cole says Barcelona's Lionel Messi is ahead of Man Utd star Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player in the world.

More...

Probably going to get slated but can't say i disagree. The problem clearly is messi cannot stay fit which is a massive shame.

At dribbling and to an extent ball retention he probably is. And I love Ronaldo. Thing is, people say about Ronaldo not performing in the big games, which is a bit bs now, but in alot of the big games hes played out of position---against Barca in both legs he played as a striker, which isn't his position. Had he stayed out wide he would have done better, yet still wasn't bad.

As a complete player Ronaldo is better. Like you said Messi can't stay fit whereas Ron is an unbelievable athlete (though no doubt Messi is when fit) but Ron can head, use both feet, cross, is strong, can tackle when (rarely) tracking back and can take a mean free kick. Oh and score 40 goals in a season. Although to see both in a team would be out of this world, I'll take Cristy every day of the week atm :wub:

I'm not so sure not performing in big games is a flawed argument. If i remember correctly before this season he had scored two goals against the "big four" both agains Arsenal i think one in the cup and another in the league and not very many in the UCL. In the two "battles" between him and the other so called "best footballer on the planet" in the UCL he lost to both Kaka and Messi respectively. You can't doubt Cronaldo's achievements this season but perspective is important. Over a season no doubt statistically and results he wins. Messi i would pick for the one game you want a player to turn up in. Not only is he better with the ball and he does the most amazing things on the pitch (hat trick against madrid/getafe "maradona" esque goal).

very unprofecional thing to say Mr Cole but i do agree with him.