MUFCMike

Reaction score
Lionel Messi is the best player in the world, and of course, in Football Manager. But you don't need me to tell you that. Now i've read so many threads and posts about people trying to sign Messi, either for some ridiculous transfer fee or towards the end of his current contract with Barcelona, but being unable to due to his demands being in excess of £300000 a week, due to him already being on £275000 a week at the start of the game. This got me curious, and after some research, i couldn't find any real evidence to support this figure. Most newspaper reports and articles i could find suggested he was on somewhere between £205000 to £235000, with many also suggesting that Cristiano Ronaldo earns more from Real Madrid, which, in the game, isnt the case. Does anyone know where the developers got Messi's wages from? Or is it just a best guess based on the fact he is the best in the world?

Read somewhere was on 385 pre tax wages are different in spain i think with tax beeing different in each province but dont think anyone actually knows tbh.

No, i don't think Barcelona have ever officially released the figure, i think most newspaper reports are just based on rumours and guesses. The point i was trying to make was just that maybe the game would be slightly more fun if Messi's wages was lower, as it would be easier to sign him? Cause after a few successful years at most top sides, you get given a ridiculous transfer budget and what better way to blow it than spending £140 million on Messi, but then being unable to sign him because he demands over £300000 a week.

Well,know FM pretty much got everything wrong on the economy level. I agree that C. Ronaldo should have higher wages than Messi. Even Beckham earns more than Messi in LA Galaxy. Either lower Messi or make Ronaldos higher...

Pretty hard to find out how much players are on 100% i suppose but i would be supprised if they are a million miles off.

Well, I just found this. In the game, Samuel Eto'o is on a mere £165000 a week, whereas its well known Anzhi made him the worlds best paid player on something like £325000 a week.

I'm starting to think wages on Football Manager are more just based on Current Ability and some other attributes, such as a Ambition and Loyalty?

i have Gotze and Neymar both with the "match highest earner clause" at 400.000 euro a week... and neymar has a 5 year contract with a 10% raise/season, u tell me who's the greedy one?

Well,know FM pretty much got everything wrong on the economy level. I agree that C. Ronaldo should have higher wages than Messi. Even Beckham earns more than Messi in LA Galaxy. Either lower Messi or make Ronaldos higher...

No one has proof of how much players are earning each week. So unless you have proof that Beckham earns more than Messi then that statement is false. Everyone here could be wrong as because Barca haven't officially released his wages, he could be earning more than Ronaldo, you never know. For all we know he could be earning £250K+ a week.

Now getting to his contract on FM. I personally have never looked into signing Messi. Barca want an unreal amount of money for him and his wage demands will be too high. You could sign about 20 - 30 regens who turn out to be close to Messi's ability or better than Messi and he could be earning about 70% of what Messi earns.

I will say one thing though. I've seen Barca sign Neymar and put a £978m release clause on him.....

Yeah the wages are a bit messed up. I don't think they're tied to CA or anything, it's more based on what the finances of your club are. Take Man C for example, both players and clubs overcharge Man C cause they know they can afford it... so if you're a massive club with a 200m transfer budget, Barca will hold you to ransom, and then the player will too.

Just to add in, I signed Messi on a free in 2016, on 230k wages, mainly because Barca failed to qualify for the champs league 2 years running, they can thank Rafa Benitez for that... good times.

Just seen the person with the Best opinion of me is Messi too. Hehe he wuvs me. Shame I think he's gonna die on my save, he's suffering from cruciate knee ligament damage, out for 9 months and just got the dreaded email that he may not recover at all and is thinking about retiring; I thought great he wants to be a coach, he'll be an awesome coach...no, no he's not, he's ******* than Gary Neville's corpse...which ironically is better than Gary Neville alive.

Last edited:
I've always thought player wages all depend on the player's reputation, current ability and club's reputation from my personal experience, because when a player become popular, they would be more demanding for wages, but loyalty is also an aspect on wage demands

In the cases for Eto'o and Beckham that have been given, much of their "wages" in real life are based upon shirt sales, images rights etc. Where as FM shows the figure in which they receive from the club as a pay cheque for playing.

I always find with players who want ridiculous wage demands that you can match what they want with appearance fees, so if messi wants 300,000 but you can only offer 150,000 offer 150k wage and 150k app fee, of course this is if you want to be spending that amount of one player but does usually work.