MFK Skalica - A Slovakian Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter MPH93
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 32K

MPH93

Reaction score
View attachment 194374

Hi all, my old account on here is Mike :] but I can’t remember my password or my old email address so I’ve created a new account to post on the forum. My previous story with Ajax faded out due to work commitments but I now have time to regularly update a story, so here goes…

View attachment 194372

Why MFK Skalica?

I wanted a long-term challenge that would allow me to play it for many months with progression throughout. I looked at starting off in the lowest division of England, Spain and Italy but decided against it as there are lucrative rewards once you reach the heights of the top division.

In Slovakia, prize money is very low and the only way I will succeed will be to develop players to sell on as well as qualifying and then competing in the European competitions.

Club Background
View attachment 194371
Formed in 1920, MFK Skalica have hardly touched the country’s record books during their 95-year history. Their only success to date has been promotion last season when they shocked Slovakian football by finishing 2nd in the Slovakian Second Division, behind MFK Zemplin Michalovce.

The Club doesn’t have any fierce rivals or derbies, but does have two local games that could get heated against Myjava and Senica, who are both in the Slovakian First Division in 2015/16.

The Club doesn’t have any favoured personnel, icons or legends at the start either so that will be another task of mine as we look to created history in the sparsely populated town of Skalica (14,714 in December 2013).

Facilities
View attachment 194367
Mestský štadión Skalica is one of the smallest stadiums in the Slovakian First Division with a capacity of 3,000, meeting the league guidelines by 1,000.

It also has a six-lane running track built around the outside of the pitch and in 2014 it was renovated to allow a covered seating area to act as the Main Stand – allowing 800 people to take a seat the stadium.

View attachment 194366
MFK Skalica has adequate training facilities which should allow us to get a decent standard of training in for what we need domestically, but has below average youth facilities which mean we will probably have to look elsewhere to bring in young players to develop and sell on.

Finances
View attachment 194368
Probably the less said the better here! We start the season in the red by £12,000 so that needs improving quickly if we are to progress both on and off the pitch. As stated above, prize money from European qualification will allow us to move forward in this area.

Slovakian First Division

The Slovakian First Division, or Fortuna Liga as it’s known in Slovakia, was founded in 1993 and currently has 12 teams competing in it. ŠK Slovan Bratislava are the most successful team in the league’s history with 8 titles to their name with their last one coming in the 2013/14 season – FK AS Trenčín are the current champions.

View attachment 194370
The league, ranked the 35th most reputable in Europe, allows four teams to qualify for European action with their current co-efficient. The winners of the league qualify for the Champions League Second Qualifying Phase, with the three teams below them qualifying for the Europa League First Qualifying Round – depending on the winner of the Slovakian FA Cup.
View attachment 194365
At the moment, MFK Skalica are ranked as one of the four worse sides in the league with a reputation of 2 stars – leaving them with odds of 100/1 to win to claim the title.

View attachment 194369

Targets

Domestic

Win the Slovakian First Division
Win the Slovakian FA Cup
Win the Slovakian Super Cup
Complete a domestic double
Beat Slovan Bratislava’s record of 8 First Division titles
Beat Slovan Bratislava’s record of 13 Slovakian FA Cup titles

European

Qualify for the Champions League Qualifying Rounds
Qualify for the Champions League Group Stage
Qualify for the Champions League Knockout Rounds
Reach the Champions League final
Win the Champions League
Qualify for the Europa League Qualifying Rounds
Qualify for the Europa League Group Stage
Qualify for the Europa League Knockout Rounds
Reach the Europa League final
Win the Europa League
Win the European Super Cup
Beat Real Madrid’s record of 10 Champions League titles
Beat Sevilla’s record of 4 Europa League titles

Club

Become the most reputable club in Slovakia
Become the most reputable club in Europe
Become the most reputable club in the world
Sell a player for £1million+
Sell a player for £5million+
Sell a player for £10million+
Sell a player for £20million+
Buy a player for £1million+
Buy a player for £5million+
Buy a player for £10million+
Buy a player for £20million+

--

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
View attachment 194363
Squad Overview

As you can see from the above screenshot, it’s a fairly decent sized squad with mixed ability. I’ll be looking to add a few players to the squad before the start of the season in mid-July to act as back up because there isn’t a lot of spare money in the wage budget.

The following four players will be acting as the spine of my team:

Lubos Hajduch (Goalkeeper)

View attachment 194362
The 35-year old is the best goalkeeper at the Club, despite him entering the latter stages of his career. He’s on a contract for two seasons so that should give me enough time to assess my options and bring in a replacement that will be at the Club for a good numbers of years.

Pavol Majernik (Defender)

View attachment 194361
Another veteran in the team, Pavol couples his work out on the pitch by assisting me with his coaching role at the Club. He has fairly decent attributes which will allow him to play for at least one season, after that I’m not so sure as he will be 39 and looking to move into the coaching side of the game full time.

Marek Hlinka (Midfielder)

View attachment 194360
The best player at our club by a good distance, it’s a shame he’s only on loan! The 24-year old former Slovakia U21 international is on loan from Czech side Dukla Prague and will be deployed in the centre midfield position to run the show. He can also play at centre back or in defensive midfield.

Ivan Lietava (Striker)

View attachment 194359
Another ageing player in the squad, Ivan is one of the highest earners at the Club and will be leading the line for me this season. There are a couple of younger strikers in back-up, but Lietava is the strongest with his height and finishing ability a killer combination.

Tactic

View attachment 194358
The tactic I will be deploying for the save will be the TFF Devastator v10 tactic by Total Football Fan, which can be downloaded here.

I’ve used this tactic in saves prior to this one in the Premier League, Vanarama National North and the Hungarian First Division and it was brought success on every occasion.

The way the tactic is set up means the team can play some really nice football with the wingers creating plenty of chances, as well as the second striker which is undoubtedly the key player in the tactic.

Hopefully this will propel the Club into Europe within the first three seasons of the career, if not I’ll be looking to change.

Last edited:
View attachment 194355

Pre-Season Update

View attachment 194354
The start to life at MFK Skalica was a positive one with only one defeat in the 10 pre-season games that we played, albeit against a lower league opposition which was extremely disappointing.

Pre-season started with the annual game against our U19s side and we easily dispatched of them in a 10-goal thriller at the Mestský štadión Skalica.

A blip in the middle saw us draw 1-1 with another lower league side, but it was just three days after another match so fitness was low.

We wrapped up my first pre-season in charge with that defeat against Lipany before a comfortable 2-0 win over Rim. Sobota to complete the schedule.

Although we had have that defeat against lower opposition, we achieved the main target of pre-season which was to get the players match ready for the big kick off against MŠK Žilina and understand the new tactic.

Transfers

View attachment 194350

In

Alessio Provenzano – Free (Unattached)

View attachment 194346Young Italian winger that will be a good addition to the squad. He’s only 18 and has fairly average stats so hopefully they will develop enough for him to push for a place in the first team squad.

Marek Ocelka – Free (Unattached)

View attachment 194347
18-year old Slovakian brought in for the U19s team. He won’t have much impact on the first team but he will be a good addition to the young side and can be classed as home-grown if we get into Europe.

Kalin Todorov – Free (Septemvri Sofia)

View attachment 194348
One of two 16-year old Bulgarians brought in from Septemvri Sofia, Todorov already has impressive stats at such a tender age. Unlike his compatriot, I’ll be using him in the first team as a rotation player in an attempt to fast track him to the starting XI and/or sell him for a big fee in the next few years.

Danail Ivanov – Free (Septemvri Sofia)

View attachment 194351
Another youngster brought in for predominantly the U19s side, Danail is tipped to be a hot prospect by my scouts. I’ll look to develop him over the next two years and then see where he is at when he turns 18 before making a decision on whether to play or sell.

Boris Gall – Loan (Kosice)

View attachment 194352
21-year Slovakian striker brought in on loan from the Slovakian Second Division. He’s got very rounded stats with 13 in 8 key attributes so will be more than adequate back up for the striker position.

Out

No one left the club as it is already a small squad. I’ll re-assess the situation in the winter break and see if anyone needs to leave due to their performances or their wages.

In other news…

View attachment 194353
We’ve decided to link up with Polish side Lech Poznan to bring in some extra income to the club, as well as signing players on loan from the Ekstraklasahttp://uk.soccerway.com/national/poland/ekstraklasa/c119/ (Polish First Division).

Last edited:
Good luck mate, will bee following. Better facilities than my Margate game to be fair haha. I got much better places to go upwards though. Hope you do it

View attachment 194177

2015 Winter Break

Squad Overview

View attachment 194176

Key Players

View attachment 194175

The Ducla Prague loanee has been in excellent form for me this season, running the show from midfield as I predicted. Unfortunately, he picked up an injury part way through ruling him out for just under 2 months but has since bounced back to earn himself the highest average rating of the squad.

View attachment 194174
Mario Kurak (Midfielder)

Our 32-year old right winger leads the goals and assists chart for MFK Skalica so far this campaign. He might be getting on a bit but he is still the most consistent performer, popping up at the back post to slot home or setting a goal up with a teasing cross. Not too sure if he’ll be with us in 2016/17 though!

View attachment 194173
Radoslav Ciprys (Defender/Midfielder)

Radoslav was late to the party and only really got going towards the back end of September when he was thrown in at left back. With our normal left back returning, he was pushed further up the field and had a huge impact on the team – scoring seven goals to nail down a place in the starting eleven.

View attachment 194179

View attachment 194172
What a great start to the league campaign! We sit top of the tree heading into the winter break, one point above Slovan Bratislava and three points clear of Trencin – who both have far superior squads to me. I don’t think this form will last, but I’m confident of a top four finish come May 2016.

View attachment 194171
As you can see, we got off to a great start by beating a team that was in the Champions League not long ago before a great performance away at Trnava saw us pick up the three points. We then had four bad results in a row, losing against the two best teams in Slovakia and then throwing two and one goal leads away respectively.

Towards the winter break, we picked up our first win against Slovakian heavyweights Slovan Bratislava but once again lost 3-0 to Trencin – who are slowly turning into our bogey team! Now onto the Slovakian FA Cup…
View attachment 194182
View attachment 194181
The less said about this, the better! Our cup campaign was over before it was started as we were embarrassed away at lower league side Topolcany. I rested a few key players with the league game only a matter of days away and it backfired as we conceded a late goal and this went out on penalties. Here’s to a better campaign in 2016/17!

In other news…

View attachment 194183
We made the most of our link with Polish side Lech Poznan by bringing in their Ghanaian youth international Joseph Cudjoe on loan until the end of the season. He’s got relatively decent stats and can play in a few positions to will be a good addition to the squad.

View attachment 194184
Another signing we made in the time period from pre-season to the winter break is Senegalese forward Mour Samb. I noticed him on the off chance when searching through the free agents and he came back with 4* potential. He’s on a basic wage so if it pays off then great, if not there’s no problems.

View attachment 194185
As stated in the OP, in a previous game of mine I was Honved in the Hungarian First Division so I headed over there to see what I could bring in. Sebestyen Ihrig-Farkas was available on loan and he performed great for me in the Second Striker role so I moved quickly to bring him in, only paying £85 per week of his wages as well!

View attachment 194186
With my contract only having seven months left on it, Chairman Peter Bartos wanted me to sign an extension. I negiotiated with him to increase the wage budget, so dropped my wage demands to the lowest so there would be more money for players. I’m now with the Club until June 2018, but hopefully I’ll be getting more extensions in the future!

Good luck mate, will bee following. Better facilities than my Margate game to be fair haha. I got much better places to go upwards though. Hope you do it

Thanks for reading! I think getting into the Football League means you have better places to go than in the Slovakian First Division haha!

View attachment 194010

Winter Transfer Update

View attachment 194002

In

So it’s a total of five players that have come into the Club over the Winter break, three of them on free transfers and two on loan.

View attachment 194003
Hillel Konate – Free (Unattached)

First up is this Ivory Coast goalkeeper, who was brought in on a free transfer and on a low wage. He’s going to be used as back up now before pushing for a spot in the starting eleven next season.

View attachment 194004
David Garrido – Free (Unattached)

Spanish left back who will slot in nicely with no one holding down a spot as of yet. It’s a big wage but hopefully it will prove to be worth it as we attempt to secure a place in Europe for 2016/17.

View attachment 194005
Alex Nimely – Free (Unattached)

Young striker who has failed to live up to his early reputation. He started out at Manchester City and was tipped to do big things due to his pace and power, but has not lived up to the early expectations. Will mainly be used as a squad player.

View attachment 194006
Krzysztof Gladosz – Loan (Lech Poznan)

The first of two loans from our parent club Lech Poznan. With Daniel Sebesta leaving on a permanent deal, we needed someone to fill the void and Gladosz is more than capable of doing so. He’s got plenty of power and pace, as well as being able to finish off chances.

View attachment 194007
Dariusz Dudka – Loan (Lech Poznan)

Experienced Polish defender who will add to our options at the back. He’s found himself out of favour at Lech so makes it a smoother transition to the Slovakian First Division. With 65 international caps, Dudka will be a great addition to the squad heading into the second half of the season.

Out

View attachment 194009
Ivan Lietva - £60,000 (Chornomorets)

Tall striker looked to be one of our key players at the start of the year but his performances haven’t reflected what we were paying him. Made sense to cash in while we could.
View attachment 194008
Daniel Sebesta - £40,000 (B.Jerusalem)
He was complaining about lack of game time so he was transfer listed and this was one of the many offers that came in. Everyone else was offering just over £20,000 so I decided to go for the largest offer, which came in from Israel.

View attachment 193918

2015/16 Youth Intake

Youth Candidates Overview

View attachment 193920

Not the best youth intake, so I’m hoping for better in the years to come! Here’s the top two talents:

View attachment 193921
Branislav Bednar (Midfielder)

The best of the intake from this season with a 3 ½ star potential by our scout and Director of Football. To me, he doesn’t like he’ll make it but I look forward to seeing how he develops whilst playing for the U19s.

View attachment 193923
Pavol Durica (Midfielder)

The ‘second best’ talent to come into my youth team this season. He’s rated as 3 star potential by my team but, unfortunately, he will have no chance of making it as he doesn’t have the stats to succeed.

Elsewhere in the world…

View attachment 193924
Check out this 15-year old who has just appeared in Lyon’s youth team. He’d be more than capable of playing in the Slovakian First Division now so it looks like he’ll be one to watch out for in the future!

In other news…

View attachment 193925
View attachment 193927
View attachment 193928
With our finances progressing further in the red, the Chairman went behind my back and accepted an extremely small bid for our best centre back. I tried to reason with me but he wouldn’t listen and Roman Konecny was a Dinamo Minsk player. I seriously hope I get into Europe to improve the finances and remove the possibility of this happening again…

View attachment 193929
Marek Hlinka’s fine form for MFK Skalica was rewarded with a call-up to the Slovakian national team and played his first game as a second half substitute in March.

View attachment 193552

May 2016

View attachment 193551
View attachment 193550
Wow, what a way to end my first season in charge of MFK Skalica! We managed to secure the Slovakian First Division title by five points ahead of last year’s winners Trencin. Luckily, the title was already wrapped up by the time we lost 5-0 in the penultimate game of the season against Michalovce, so I wasn’t too bothered about that. A special mention to Ruzomberok, who scored in the 90th​ minute to draw 1-1 with us to stay up on goal difference and send Senica down!

In other news…

View attachment 193549
We’ll be entering the Champions League at the Second Qualifying Round next season after securing the title, meaning we’ll get some well needed money into the club!

View attachment 193548
Although we’ll be getting more money, our wage budget is only slightly increased so I’ll have to do some wheeling and dealing when the transfer window opens in July.

View attachment 193547
With it being our first season in the top flight in Slovakia, we set a new record for the highest finish. It’s all positive for the Club, but I would have preferred to have finished lower and then worked my way up to ensure that we didn’t have to push the boat out financially to ensure our future.

---

Next up, an End of Season review!

View attachment 193221

2015/16 End of Season review

View attachment 193220

Squad Overview

View attachment 193219

Manager’s Player of the Year

View attachment 193218

Wow, what a season from the Dukla Prague loanee! He played 24 games for us due to injury and still managed to win the award with an average rating of 7.51, as well as picking up his first Slovakia cap. I’ll look to get him back on loan in the summer but think his parent club will be wanting a look at him!

Fans’ Player of the Year

View attachment 193216

Mario Kurak (Midfielder)
He was our top goal scorer and had the most assists with 11 in both categories. Despite his age, he was a consistent performer this season and his efforts were rewarded with an extension to his contract. His stats have started to decrease now so I’ll be monitoring him closely over the next 12 months.

End of Season Awards

View attachment 193222

Fans’ Player of the Season voting
1st​ – Mario Kurak (47%)
2nd​ – Marek Hlinka (29%)
3rd​ – Adrian Cermak (15%)

Goal of the Season
Lubomir Ulrich versus Zilina (19th​ July 2015)

Signing of the Season
Dariusz Dudka (on loan from Lech Poznan)

Young Player of the Season
Adrian Cermak

Team of the Season

GK – L. Hajduch
LB – M. Vrablec
CB – L. Fialka
CB – P. Majernik
RB – O. Neovesky
DM – M. Hlinka
LM – R. Ciprys
CM – J. Cudjoe
RM – M. Kurak
AM – A. Cermak
ST – L. Ulrich

League Awards

Team of the Year

View attachment 193223

GK – P. Solnicka (Myjava)
LB – R. Ciprys (MFK Skalica)
CB – K. Salata (Slovan Bratislava)
CB – M. Skrinlar (Zilina)
RB – E. Mabouka (Zilina)
LM – M. Milinkovic (Slovan Bratislava)
CM – M. Bero (Trencin)
CM – T. Dubek (Ruzomberok)
RM – M. Kurak (MFK Skalica)
ST – A. Szarka (Dun. Streda)
ST – D. Kunca (Michalovce)

Top Goalscorer

View attachment 193224

1st​ – Dominik Kunca (Michalovce) – 14 goals
2nd​ – Michal Hamulak (Michalovce) – 12 goals
3rd​ – Akos Szarka (Dun. Streda) – 11 goals

Goal of the Year

View attachment 193226

1st​ – Samuel Stefanik (Slovan Bratislava versus Dun. Streda)
2nd​ – Stefan Cebara (Zlate Moravce versus Slovan Bratislava)
3rd​ – Matus Bero (Trencin versus Myjava)

View attachment 193227

View attachment 193215

Winners

View attachment 193231

View attachment 193229

Second Round

Slovakian teams in Europe

View attachment 1006044

Trencin (Second Qualifying Round)

View attachment 193235

View attachment 193238

Slovan Bratislava (Third Qualifying Round)

View attachment 193237

Zilina (Second Qualifying Round)

View attachment 193236

In other news…

View attachment 193240

Chairman Peter Bartos approached me at the end of the season asking my thoughts on purchasing the stadium for the council. I agreed that it should be done so there are now plans in place to by the stadium by the end of next season, which should mean there will be plans to extend it to ensure it meets the Champions League requirements.

View attachment 193241

36-year old shot stopper Lubos Hajduch has announced he will retire after next season. He’s been great for me this season so he’ll be a big loss, but it means it will be a transitional period for our young Ivorian goalkeeper.

View attachment 193242

It was a decent year for MFK Skalica on the commercial side of things with just over £400,000 coming into the Club from that side of things. Shirt sales were at a decent level too, with winger Mario Kurak proving to be the most popular name to be printed.

View attachment 193209

2016/17 Season

View attachment 193208

A huge moment for the Club as we travelled to Nyon, Switzerland to find out who our opponents would be in the Champions League Second Qualifying Round.

View attachment 193207

So we'll be making the 3,701km journey to Icelandic champions Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavíkur, or KR as they are known in the game, for the Second Leg as we were drawn at home. It will be a tough test as they'll be midway through their season when the games are played, whilst our season will have only just started.

--

Pre-season update to follow...​

View attachment 193135

2016/17 Pre-Season Update

Pre-season results

View attachment 193134

We only managed to fit in six pre-season games due to our tight schedule from our league season finishing and the Champions League beginning. I’m happy with how we performed in each game, winning all six of them and conceding just one in the process.

Transfers

View attachment 193133

In

View attachment 193132
Matej Kochan – End of contract (Podbrezova)

23-year old former Slovakian U21 international will be one of our key players this season. He’s got very good stats for the wage he asks for and will be the main part of our attack, picking out passes to set up chances both domestically and in Europe.

View attachment 193125
Damian Baris – End of contract (Trencin)

The first of two arrivals from Trencin, Damian was on loan at the Club in the first part of last season. He returned to his parent club in the winter break and didn’t get played so I was eager to snap him up as he performed well for us in the defensive midfield position.

View attachment 193126
Pavol Balaz – End of contract (Topolcany)

With Michal Gasparik on his way out, we needed another left midfielder to replace him and I found the perfect addition from the Slovakian lower leagues. Topolcany knocked us out of the Slovakian FA Cup last season so I got some revenge by bringing in one of their better players.

View attachment 193127
Lukas Skovajsa – End of contract (Trencin)

The second player we got from our Slovakian rivals, Skovajsa will be utilised as our number one left back with the depature of David Garrido. He’s on half the wage that Garrido was and will allow Martin Vrablec to concentrate on his main position of right back.

View attachment 193128
Josh Bull – £7,500 (Bishop’s Stortford)

Possibly the most random transfer of pre-season, Josh joins from Vanarama National South side Bishop’s Stortford for a compensation fee. He’s got decent attributes already and will be used as a back-up striker to Lubomir Ulrich this season.

View attachment 193130
Davide Campanella – Free (Trestina)

One of two youngsters to join in pre-season, it took us around two hours of searching to find this little gem in the low leagues of Italy. Unlike Josh Bull, we didn’t have to pay any compensation for him as the club we got him from barely exists. Expecting big things from him…

View attachment 193131
Marcel Oravec – Free (Unattached)
A late addition to the side just days before our Champions League qualifier against KR, Marcel will be rotated with Matej Kochan in the second striker role. He’s got decent stats and only asks for a small wage so it made sense to bring him in.

Out

Peter Mazan – Released
Lukas Svrcek – Released
Igor Sefcik – Released
Peter Vasko – Released
Michal Jakubek – Released
Andrej Fisan – Released
Ondrej Neovesky – Released
Michal Gasparik – £10,000 (ZTE)
David Garrido - £6,750 (Viktoria Zizkov)
Alessio Provenzano – Loan (Sered)

Our squad needed freshening up so I decided to get rid of nine players over the summer. Seven of them were released to free up wages, whilst two of them – Michael Gasparik and David Garrido – were sold for small fees to bring some money into the club while they were still able to do a job.

In other news…

View attachment 193136

Our reputation within Slovakia has increased to 2.5 stars, which means we are now the eighth most reputable club in the country. Slovan Bratislava, Trencin and Zilina are still leading the way so we’ve got a long way to catching them up.

View attachment 193137

The Slovakian First Division remains the 35th​ best league in the world, having not increased or decreased its reputation in 2015/16. Liga BBVA remains the best league in the world, while the Crimean Premier League was the most improved going from 385th​ to 362nd​.

View attachment 193138

Our odds to retain our title have been slashed from 100/1 to 40/1, so the bookies don’t think we’ll be able to make it two titles in a row. Slovan Bratislava are the favourites, so let’s see how the season pans out…

And finally…

View attachment 193139

It’s set to be a positive season for MFK Skalica as we embark on our first European adventure. I’ve informed the board that we won’t be outclassed too often in the Champions League as I wasn’t too sure how our players would react to the competition.

In terms of domestic action, I’ve told the board that we’ll be able to secure Europa League qualification as well as reaching the Quarter Final of the Slovakian FA Cup.

The wage and transfer budget is slightly disappointing, but hopefully that will increase if we succeed on the European stage.

View attachment 193122

2016/17 Champions League Qualifying Second Round

View attachment 1006162

First Leg

View attachment 193119

The first game of our season and the biggest game in the Club's history. We welcomed KR to the Mestský štadión Skalica and it ended in disappointment for us. We went behind early on before pulling level in the 65th minute thanks to Polish loanee Krzysztof Gladosz. However, their fitness showed and they managed to nick a late winner through Nathan to give them a big advantage ahead of the trip to Iceland.

Second Leg

View attachment 193114

What a performance from the squad! I thought we were facing elimination from the competition when KR went 1-0 up, especially with the away goals from the previous leg, but we turned on the style in the final 16 minutes to send us through. Radoslav Ciprys was the hero as he grabbed the equaliser before winning the game in the 88th minute.

Here's a shot of our away fans in Iceland...

View attachment 193109

Last edited:
View attachment 193107

2016/17 Season

View attachment 193105

So it was another trip to Nyon after the victory against KR to find out who we would face in the Champions League Third Qualifying Round...

View attachment 193103

This time we were drawn away in the first leg and we will be travelling to Cyprus to take on APOEL Nicosia. They've just beaten Hungarian side Ferencvaros, so this will be another tough test for the squad. The scary thing is we're potentially four games away from the Champions League group stage...

View attachment 193067

2016/17 Champions League Qualifying Third Round

View attachment 1006222

First Leg

View attachment 193066

Another fantastic performance on our European adventure as we draw 3-3 with APOEL in Cyprus, giving us a big advantage with the three away goals! Fernando Cavenaghi opened the scoring early on before Pavol Balaz replied almost instantly. Cavenaghi grabbed his second midway through the first half, but goals from Mario Kurak and Josh Bull - the latter a superb strike from the edge of the area - looked to have gave us a slight advantage heading into the second leg. However, it wasn't to be a Cavenaghi secured his hat trick with a penalty in the 90th minute.

Second Leg

View attachment 193065

Get in! We're into the Champions League Play-Offs after a magnificent 2-0 win at home, meaning we'll get some decent money into the Club. If only we could replicate these performances in the league, as you'll see later on! Pavol Balaz and Matej Kochan were the heroes as they scored a goal each in the first half to send us through! Two games from the Group Stage...

Back