MFK Skalica - A Slovakian Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter MPH93
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 32K
View attachment 193060

2016/17 Season

View attachment 1006232

We arrived in Nyon in high spirits, knowing that we were set for a big payment either day - £2million if we got knocked out or £1million if we got through. There was five ties set to be drawn out and we were included in the unseeded pot so would face one of the following:

Dinamo (Croatia)
Panathinaikos (Greece)
Celtic (Scotland)
Red Star (Serbia)
Rosenborg (Norway)

View attachment 193059

Unfortunately, we were given the hardest draw possible and drawn against Scottish giants Celtic - who have Ricky Alvarez in their ranks, a player on more a week than I pay my whole team! It's safe to say I'm not looking forward to these games...

View attachment 193046

2016/17 Champions League Play-Offs

View attachment 1006250

First Leg
(Forgot to print screen match report)

View attachment 193045

The game was a lot closer than I expected, but it was the predicted outcome as Celtic took a 3-1 lead into the Second Leg in Slovakia. Unexpectedly, we took the lead at Celtic Park as Lubomir Ulrich fired in in the 14th minute, but the scores were levelled just before half time as our goalkeeper Lubos Hajduch scored an own goal. The home side came flying out of the traps in the second half and took the lead early on through Leigh Griffiths and the scoring was completed in the final minute as Griffiths grabbed his second of the game.

Second Leg

View attachment 193044

As the Nelly Furtado song goes 'All good things come to an end' and that was the case in Slovakia as Celtic comfortably progressed into the Champions League Group Stage. However, the Club has performed miracles in the qualifying rounds and I didn't expect to get this far, plus we've got some decent money into the Club now. It was a whirlwind game that saw eight goals fly in, Davide Campanella (2) and Pavol Balaz with our goals, as we crash out of the Champions League 8-4 on aggregate.

View attachment 193043
View attachment 193042
View attachment 193041

So our Champions League adventure has come to an end, but our Europa League one is about to start as we have qualified for the Group Stage of the competition after losing in the play-off. We've managed to bring in nearly £4million to the Club as well, which will go a long way in terms of securing the Club's future.

--

Next up, a look at the 2016/17 Europa League Group Stage and who we were drawn against...

View attachment 193040

2016/17 Europa League Group Stage draw

View attachment 193039

So it was a change in venue for the draw as we headed to Monaco to discover our fate for the 2016/17 Europa League Group Stage. We were seeded in pot four with the other lesser nations who had qualified, meaning we could get an extremely difficult group.

Pot One

View attachment 193038

Lyon (France)

Last Season
4th in Ligue 1
How they qualified
Automatically into Group Stage due to league co-efficients
Key Player
Alexandre Lacazette

View attachment 193037

Pot Two

View attachment 193036

Frankfurt (Germany)

Last Season
7th in Bundesliga
How they qualified
Third Qualifying Round: 5-1 aggregate win v IFK Goteborg
Play-Off: 3-1 aggregate win v STVV
Key Player
Marc Stendera

View attachment 193035

Pot Three

View attachment 193034

Ludogorets (Bulgaria)

Last Season
2nd in 'A' Group
How they qualified
First Qualifying Round: 9-0 aggregate win v Suduva
Second Qualifying Round: 5-2 win v Trencin
Third Qualifying Round: Penalties win v Dinamo Minsk
Play-Off: 4-3 aggregate win v Zulte Waregem
Key Player
Natanael

View attachment 193033

Group G

View attachment 193032

So that's how the group looks. It's going to be a very difficult task to get anything from the games against Lyon or Frankfurt, but Ludogorets are there for the taking - in my opinion. We start our campaign in Bulgaria against the latter, here's hoping for three points!

View attachment 193026

2016/17 Europa League Group Stage

View attachment 193025

Matchday One

View attachment 193024

A very frustrating game for me as we put in one of our worst performances of the season away at Ludogorets. If we play like that in matchday two and three, we'll already be out of the competition. We opened the scoring in the 28th minute through Adrian Cermak before goals from Claudiu Keseru and Jonathan Rubio snatched the three points away from us. Next up, a trip to Frankfurt...

Group G

View attachment 193023

We're third after the opening round of matches due to goals scored after Frankfurt lost 1-0 against Lyon. I'm hoping for at least a draw at home to the German side and Ludogorets to lose at home to Lyon to leave us in a decent position heading into matchday three.

Last edited:
View attachment 192493

View attachment 192492

Matchday Two

View attachment 192490

A big moment in the Club's history as we played a 'home' game in the Europa League Group Stage for the first time in our history, albeit away from our stadium due to it not meeting the requirements. However, we couldn't make history on the pitch as we were hammered 4-1 by our German opposition. They quickly stormed into a 3-0 lead before Mario Kurak pulled a goal back, but it wasn't to be as David Abraham completed the scoring in the last minute to make it 4-1.

Group G

View attachment 192487

So we're bottom of the group by three points now after losing both of our games so far in the competition. We've got Lyon in the next two games as well so I can't see our record improving!

View attachment 192486

View attachment 192485

Matchday Three

View attachment 192484

Well, it's certainly a game that will be forgotten quickly from my perspective! We travelled to Lyon expecting to shut up shop and concede maybe 3/4 goals but we were absolutely torn apart and hammered 6-0. It was 4-0 at half time before a youngster I tipped for success earlier in on my career came on and scored two goals late on to complete the scoring.

Group G

View attachment 192483

You've guessed it, we're still bottom! After that embarrassing performance in France, we are languishing at the foot of the table with no real chance of qualifying for the knockout rounds. I'm expecting to be eliminated from the competition after the next matchday as I can't see us getting anything from our home match with Lyon.

In other news...

View attachment 192482

The woeful performance against the French side resulted in setting a new record for our highest defeat, beating last season's 5-0 hammering at the hands of Michalovce.

View attachment 192457

View attachment 192456

Matchday Four

View attachment 192455

Wow, what a performance and what a game! We raced into a 2-0 lead through Mario Kurak and Davide Campanelle before Lyon fought back and headed into half time 3-2 up thanks to goals from Josuha Guilavoigi, Mathieu Valbuena and Wissam Ben Yedder. There were some stern words said at the interval and they seemed to do the trick as Pavol Balaz levelled ten minutes into the second half to secure our first ever point in a European competition.

Group G

View attachment 192453

View attachment 192452

Despite the positive performance, we were knocked out of the competition after gaining just the one points from the twelve available. I expected to lose all six games due to the lowly stature of MFK Skalica so to get a point against Lyon was fantastic. Here's to a better European return in 2017/18, if we qualify!

View attachment 192439

View attachment 192438

Matchday Five

View attachment 192437

With us already being out of the competition, I decided to rest some players and utilise others that hadn't been getting game time so they had experience of playing in a European competition. All was going well heading into half time with thee scores at 0-0, but that was soon to change as Jonathan Cafu popped up in the second half to secure the win for the Bulgarian side.

Group G

View attachment 192436

Following the Ludogorets result, it was confirmed that we would finish bottom of the group with the Bulgarian side five points clear of us with only three to play for.

Last edited:
Loving the story! Great work, I always do enjoy these small team saves which ends up with them being turned in to some sort of national/European power house!

Unlucky with this seasons Europa League, but im sure the experience of it will stand you in good stead for future games in this tournament, or even higher up in the Champions League.

Just like i've commented on several peoples, the layout to your story is brilliant. Keep up the good work and looking forward to more updates :)

View attachment 192407

View attachment 192406

Matchday Six

View attachment 192405

With our place in the group already settled, I decided to change to 'Overload' for this game in a hope of getting goals and it certainly worked! We played out a 10-goal thriller in Germany, but unfortunately came out on the wrong side of a 6-4 result. It gives us great confidence going forward though, knowing we're able to score goals against the big teams.

Group G

View attachment 192403

So as it was confirmed after matchday five, we finished bottom of Group G with one point from our six games. Yes it's disappointing, but I never expected to come this far so there are plenty of positives heading into the remainder of the season. Frankfurt secured top spot with the win over us, with Lyon going through to the knockout rounds in second place.

In other news...

View attachment 192401

We set a new record for goals in a match with the defeat against Frankfurt, beating the previous one set by the Celtic defeat in the Champions League play-offs.

Loving the story! Great work, I always do enjoy these small team saves which ends up with them being turned in to some sort of national/European power house!

Unlucky with this seasons Europa League, but im sure the experience of it will stand you in good stead for future games in this tournament, or even higher up in the Champions League.

Just like i've commented on several peoples, the layout to your story is brilliant. Keep up the good work and looking forward to more updates :)

Thanks for the comment, and for reading, JCGooner!

I'm hoping to turn the team into a national powerhouse before securing success in Europe.

Appreciate the feedback regarding the lay out as well!

Had a couple of problems trying to upload the latest update yesterday so will try again tonight.

Will be updates from the Winter Break, January transfer window and the youth intake...

Had a couple of problems trying to upload the latest update yesterday so will try again tonight.

Will be updates from the Winter Break, January transfer window and the youth intake...

Look forward to the next installment mat. Hope you get it to work.

View attachment 191904

2016/17 Winter Break

Squad Overview

View attachment 191903

Key Players

View attachment 191902
Davide Campanella (Midfielder)
The 17-year old has been in scintillating form since his arrival in the summer, with him being the dominant force in midfield that drives us forward. I’ll be looking to extend his contract over the next six months in an attempt to keep him with the Club for a number of years. If his form continues, I can guarantee the big boys will come sniffing soon.

View attachment 191901
Mario Kurak (Midfielder)
Even though he is one of the oldest players in the squad, Mario has continued his form from last season in 2016/17. He’s got an average rating of 7.45 from his 25 games so far, with eight goals and six assists in all competitions. His attributes are decreasing even more now though so looking like he could be a squad player next season.

View attachment 191900
Pavol Balaz (Midfielder)
A summer signing from Topolcany, Pavol has been fantastic for me so far this season. He’s being deployed in the left midfield position and is currenty tops both the goals and assists charts with 11 goals and 12 assists. He’s on a low wage as well, which is a bonus!

View attachment 191905

View attachment 191906

View attachment 191907

I’d describe the opening six months of the season as positive as we currently sit 2nd​ behind Trnava, they’re ahead of us by four points. We’ve only lost twice as well, against the league leaders and Slovan Bratislava, which is another positive as it shows that we have improved since last season. I think the thing that is holding us back at the moment is our inability to turn draws into wins.

View attachment 191908

View attachment 191909

I think we are destined to never succeed in this competition! We headed to lower league side Zvolen with a strong team and they disappointed me for a second season in a row by being knocked out in the early stages, despite expectations from the board to reach the Quarter Final. I have no idea why it’s happened two seasons in a row, but hopefully it changes next season!

View attachment 1007530

View attachment 191910

It was a pretty successful debut campaign in the Champions League as we reached the play-offs before losing to Celtic, which meant we entered the Europa League at the Group Stage. The exit from the play-offs also guaranteed the Club a lot of money so hopefully that will be wisely invested in the future.

View attachment 191911

View attachment 191913

View attachment 191912

As you’ve seen over the previous posts, we finished bottom of Group G in the Europa League after accumulating one points over the six games. I was expecting us to get beat in every single game so I’m happy that we got something from the competition, especially when it came against Lyon who had beat us 6-0 in the game before.

In other news…

View attachment 191918
View attachment 191917
View attachment 191916
View attachment 191915
View attachment 191914

We’ve had five new additions to the squad since the last update, four permanent transfers and one loan from our parent club Lech Poznan. Brad Inman has joined on a free transfer after leaving English side Crewe at the back end of last season and he’ll provide me with cover for all of our midfield positions.

Pavol Safranko is a Slovakian striker who will be pushing Lubomir Ulrich for the #9 shirt over the next six months, while Sergio Benincase has arrived as back-up to the defensive and central midfield positions. Umberto Carboni is an Italian youngster that will be playing in our U19s for the next couple of years to see how he develops as a player.

The final addition is Szymon Drewniak, who has joined on loan until the end of the season from Lech Poznan. He’s got a decent report from our scouts so it will be between him and Davide Campanella for the central midfield role.

View attachment 191919

The money from our European campaign has already been invested in the future as the board announced plans to improve the youth facilities for a hefty fee of £525,000.

View attachment 191920

Pavol Balaz signed a new one-year contract with the Club after his impressive start to the season. He has been in top form since his arrival from Topolcany and has been rewarded with his wage being doubled to £300.

View attachment 191921

Pavol Majernik is set to retire at the end of the season at the age of 37. He’s found it tough to break into the starting eleven recently so think it makes sense for all parties that it ends that way.

View attachment 191922

Mario Kurak has been a given an automatic contract extension after appearing in 15 games so far this season. I think it will be his last season with us though!

And finally…

View attachment 191923

A surprise notification popped up at the end of the year as I was informed that I had been chosen as the Slovakian Manager of the Year. It’s been a great 2016 and I was delighted to win the award. Hopefully it’ll be the first of many…

View attachment 191899

2016/17 Winter Transfer Window

Transfers

View attachment 191898

In

View attachment 191897
Aleksander Solli - £30,000 (Sarpsborg)
We managed to bring in a high quality centre back from a low fee, but our budget has been splashed on the Norwegian defender. He's got excellent attributes for a tall defender, which allows him to outmuscle and outpace strikers with ease. A good addition to the Club!

View attachment 191896
Joseph Cudjoe - Loan (Lech Poznan)
Joseph rejoins the Club on loan after spending time at MFK Skalica last season from our parent club. He's a good young player that always puts a shift in and he can play in a number of positions, which is another positive to add to the check sheet.

Out

No one left the Club over the Winter break with the squad working hard to try and claim our second title in as many years.

--

Only a short update, but not much happened! It gets interesting shortly...

View attachment 191887

2016/17 Youth Intake

View attachment 191886
(Forgot to print screen squad overview)

Another disappointing youth intake at the Club, but I can't expect much when our facilities are ranked so low. Hopefully that will improve in the near future with our youth facilities being upgraded, but for now it will be elsewhere where our young talent comes from.

View attachment 191885

Martin Borovsky is the player who is the rated highest out of the current crop and he has okay attributes. Whether he ever makes the first team is a different matter...

In other news...

View attachment 191884

As stated above, we looked elsewhere for young talent to bring in to the Club and we managed to pick up this young Mexican striker. Javier Vallejo has yet to play for a club but was available on a free transfer and a low wage so it made sense to see if we could develop him further. He's got a very high determination stat so hopefully that will speed up the process.

View attachment 191870

2016/17 Pre-Final Game of the Season

View attachment 191867

View attachment 191866

View attachment 191865

So we head into the final game of the season being one of four teams that could win the league title. Trencin currently lead the way on 59 points, followed by us on 58 points. Zilina are in 3rd position with 57 points, while Trnava are positioned in 4th on 56 points. It's going to be a tense final day and here are the fixtures:

Dun. Streda (5th) v Trnava (4th)
Myjava (11th) v MFK Skalica (2nd)
Podbrezova (10th) v Zilina (3rd)
Ruzomberok (7th) v Trencin (1st)

What will happen on the final day? Who will win the league? Find out later on...

Good luck for that but I gotta ask... What the fudge happened to Slovan Bratislava?? :O

Good luck for that but I gotta ask... What the fudge happened to Slovan Bratislava?? :O

I have no idea what's happened there! They've been one of the favourites for the league the past two seasons and then at one point it would look like they would be relegated!

View attachment 191777

May 2017

View attachment 191775View attachment 191772View attachment 191774View attachment 191773

So the final day of the season could see one of any of four teams picking up the Slovakian First Division title. Here's what happened in the 6pm kick offs...

6pm
Ruzomberok 0-0 Trencin
Myjava 0-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 0-0 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

Aaaaaaand we're underway on the final day of the Slovakian First Division. Who will win the title?

6.04pm
Ruzomberok 0-0 Trencin
Myjava 0-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-0 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava
There's been a goal at the ZELPO Arena and it's the home side who have taken the lead in the 4th minute through Matus Paukner. Zilina are out of the title race, at the moment!

6.16pm
Ruzomberok 0-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-0 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava
We're hearing that another goal has flown in but who has taken the lead in Myjava? Again, it's the home side who has taken the lead against their title challenging opposition with Mauricio scoring the opening goal of the game! Does anyone want to win this title?

6.23pm
Ruzomberok 0-0 Trencin
Myjava 0-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

Zilina are back level at Podbrezoa with Yoo Byung-Soo grabbing the equaliser. The goal moves them up to joint 2nd, two points behind leaders Trencin.6.32pmRuzomberok 1-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava
I don't believe what we're seeing! The leaders Trencin are a goal down against Ruzomberok, that is disastrous for their title hopes as it puts them within touching distance of the other three teams!

6.45pm
Ruzomberok 1-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

It's half time on the final day of the Slovakian First Division and the top two heading into today's game are losing. Here's how the top four looks at the moment:

1st - Trencin 59pts
2nd - Skalica 58pts
3rd - Zilina 58 pts
4th - Trnava 57pts

7.00pm
Ruzomberok 1-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

We're back underway for the final 45 minutes of the domestic season. Who will be crowned Champions come 8pm tonight?!

7.08pm
Ruzomberok 2-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 1-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

There's been a goal at the Štadión pod Čebraťom and it's another one for the home side, Martin Bukata with the goal. If Skalica or Zilina can find a goal, they'll be Champions if everything stays like it is!

7.11pm
Ruzomberok 2-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 0-0 Trnava

Disaster for Zilina as they fall behind again at Podbrezova! They only needed a goal to move them to the top of the league but they've falled behind after Paukner struck in the 56th minute for his second of the game!

7.19pm
Ruzomberok 2-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

Does anyone want to win the league?! All four teams are now losing on the final day as Trnava fall behind at Dun. Streda with Roland Cernak smashing home from close range in the 64th minute.

7.25pm
Ruzomberok 3-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-0 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

It seems that Trencin's title hopes could all but over as they fall 3-0 behind at the Štadión pod Čebraťom, Cristian with adding Ruzomberok's third. What an exciting final day!

7.33pm
Ruzomberok 3-0 Trencin
Myjava 1-1 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

There's drama at Myjava as Kalin Todorov has applied the finish inside the area to draw MFK Skalica level! As it stands, Skalica will win the league on goal difference. Can they hold on?!

7.41pm
Ruzomberok 3-1 Trencin
Myjava 1-1 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

Trencin have pulled one back at Ruzomberok in the 80th minute. Is it too late to spark a comeback, though?

7.47pmRuzomberok 3-1 Trencin
Myjava 2-1 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

We saw it in the Premier League in 2011/12, but it's the opposite of the 'Agueroooooo' moment as Myjava have scored in injury time to put them ahead and put a nail in the coffin of MFK Skalica's title blows! There's two minutes left, can last year's Champions find an equaliser?

7.50pm
Ruzomberok 3-1 Trencin
Myjava 2-1 MFK Skalica
Podbrezova 2-1 Zilina
Dun.Streda 1-0 Trnava

It's all over in the Slovakian First Division and Trencin are crowned Champions as all four teams lost, meaning that the league table stays as it is! What an end to the season!

View attachment 191776
View attachment 191759

View attachment 191756

I was genuinely devastated at Myjava scoring in the 92nd minute to hand Trencin the title after it looked like we were going to win it on goal difference. Ahh well, here's to 2017/18!

In other news...

View attachment 191754

View attachment 191753

View attachment 191752

--

End of season review to follow!

Back