Michael Carrick Signs new 3-year deal

He's been good at times this season, bad at others. He has talent - the Spanish players seem to really rate him, especially - it's just the deployment of his talent that needs control. He's at his best in a three man midfield, but in a two alongside an energetic player like Fletcher or Anderson he does well. I'm sceptical about his ability alongside Scholes.

Agreed. He and Scholes aren't mobile enough IMO to play as a pair. Like you say he has the ability to be a real asset to England, but his form is awful at the moment.

This is great news for the other 19 teams in the Premier League, who will now be seeing alot more of the ball when they play United.

His ball retention in the first half against Chelsea was actually very good, was the first game in a while I was impressed with him. Eased my apprehensions before the game about a 2 man mid of Scholes/Carrick. The second half showed why Fergie rarely plays them together in a 2 man mid any more though.

Still hoping for Defour/Rodwell in summer.

The bad new just keeps on coming for United fan's today.

Don't rate the guy at all.

The game that sticks out for me is against Bayern away last year. His passing was worse than ours is. (Although to be fair he wasn't the only culperit)

On the other hand against us a few years back for Spurs he completely changed the game when he came on and nearly brought our 3-0 lead back to 3-3. (finished 3-2, with us being battered by the end)

Really shows that when he's on his day, he is as good as anyone. Guessing SAF thinks he can get him back to his best. If he can, he could be key for England.

Carrick gets far more attention from a couple of misplaced passes than he does for something like having some pretty good performances in his last 2 games

When he plays well he's one of my favourite players, when he plays bad I hate him :p. As long as he can find his form before he was injured then I will be happy

When he plays well he's one of my favourite players, when he plays bad I hate him :p. As long as he can find his form before he was injured then I will be happy

I would love to see him back at his best like. That reminds, is it true Hargreaves will retire at end of season? Hope it's not true

I would love to see him back at his best like. That reminds, is it true Hargreaves will retire at end of season? Hope it's not true

From what I've seen it seems that Fergie's slowly giving up with him. I hope not, it would be terrible for Hargo to have gone through all of this training, rehab and effort just to be told he was wasting his time and won't play football again.

I've always though Carrick is a class player, very underrated, so I'm glad to see him at such big club

From what I've seen it seems that Fergie's slowly giving up with him. I hope not, it would be terrible for Hargo to have gone through all of this training, rehab and effort just to be told he was wasting his time and won't play football again.

That would be a great shame to happen. Loved his energy and enthusiasm, espeically during internationals

That would be a great shame to happen. Loved his energy and enthusiasm, espeically during internationals

He was definitely our best player in the 2006 World Cup, it would be terrible if he retired

Don't rate him highly but Ferguson is a genius at getting the most out of his players so I bet he'll improve.

Perhaps he should do the right thing and donate his knees to Hargo?

i like Sir Alex Ferguson because he is always confident of his players, even carrick. i know he is a bit off form, but criticising him is not gonna make him do better. i think people have been a bit harsh on him. you must have confidence in your players