James1517

Reaction score
Need help with making Laudrup's Swansea tactics, tried and failed so many times, help would be appreciated so much!!!

Swansea's average positions in Laudrup's first game against QPR (5-0 win)
View attachment 308889
As we know they played some of the best football in the league under Laudrup, obviously with the 4-2-3-1 formation. From what i saw and read, it was based on wingers coming "in between the lines", possession type game, but more so it is effective and attacking rather than keeping the ball just for the sake of it. So player roles based around the roles of:

Vorm
Rangel-Chico-Williams-Davies
De Guzman/Shelvey-Britton/Canas
Pablo Hernandez-Michu-Routledge
Bony

And what i sort of have in mind:
G/D
WB/A-BPD/D-BPD/D-WB/A
RPM/S-DLP/D
IF/S-AP/A-IF/S
P/A

very fluid/control
TI:
Retain possession, shorter passing, work ball into box, play out of defence, exploit flanks, look for overlap, play wider, push higher up, close down more, use tighter marking, prevent short gk distribution, much higher tempo, be more expressive.

Would love to recreate his tactics, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Looking at the screenshot (and my interpretation of how they played) I think they are more of a 433 / 451.

#7 is Leon Britton, look how deep he is. In FM that role is probably closest to a Half Back or very Deep Playmaker.
#3 is slightly higher, he's probably more of a wingback, or attacking fullback.
#15 is well tucked in, to release the LB. My view here is an Inside Forward.
#12 is a trickier one. He's wider than #15, but still not an out and out winger. You should experiment with this, probably try Advanced Playmaker / Winger with PI.
#20 looks like he hold his position in the midfield. maybe a roaming playmaker or box to box. A Deep Lying PM on support would also do this.
#9 Michu I guess. Still quite deep but the most advanced. In a 451 he would probably be a very aggresive attacking CM. In a 4231 (which in my opinion would be a deep one) he would be an Attacking Midfielder, or even Shadow Striker.
#10 Bony i'm guessing. Target man / Advanced forward. Leading the line.

If you are to play a 4-2-3-1, I would say it's a deep one (2 DM's) or asymmetric as you ideally need Britton at DMC and Michu at AMC.

Have fun.

EDIT: They also have one CB deeper than the other. That suggests a stopper / cover.

Looking at the screenshot (and my interpretation of how they played) I think they are more of a 433 / 451.

#7 is Leon Britton, look how deep he is. In FM that role is probably closest to a Half Back or very Deep Playmaker.
#3 is slightly higher, he's probably more of a wingback, or attacking fullback.
#15 is well tucked in, to release the LB. My view here is an Inside Forward.
#12 is a trickier one. He's wider than #15, but still not an out and out winger. You should experiment with this, probably try Advanced Playmaker / Winger with PI.
#20 looks like he hold his position in the midfield. maybe a roaming playmaker or box to box. A Deep Lying PM on support would also do this.
#9 Michu I guess. Still quite deep but the most advanced. In a 451 he would probably be a very aggresive attacking CM. In a 4231 (which in my opinion would be a deep one) he would be an Attacking Midfielder, or even Shadow Striker.
#10 Bony i'm guessing. Target man / Advanced forward. Leading the line.

If you are to play a 4-2-3-1, I would say it's a deep one (2 DM's) or asymmetric as you ideally need Britton at DMC and Michu at AMC.

Have fun.

EDIT: They also have one CB deeper than the other. That suggests a stopper / cover.

Good analysis mate, of course this is only one game we've looked at the average positions. I have experimented with the winger/advanced playmaker, and they just haven't worked. What would you recommend for defensive line? Not from the QPR game but from your view of Swansea overall under Laudrup? I'm thinking push higher up, with close down more, use tighter marking, use offside trap. And also if I were to persist with a 4-2-3-1 wide (2 CMs) how would I recreate britton's role? I'm thinking DLP/D, but how would you instruct him to stay back at all times, close down less?

Here is a link to a tactical analysis of Laudrup's swansea compared to Rodger's If you're interested (more average position SS)
Tactical Analysis: How does Michael Laudrup's Swansea compare with Brendan Rodgers'? | Just Football
much appreciated mate :D

push higher up WB/A-BPD/D-BPD/D-WB/A wont work in small team

My interpretation of how they play is pretty much as described mate, I would say

GK(D)
WB(S), CD(S), CD(C), WB(at),
HB(D), RP(S),
AP(at), AM(at), IF(S)
AF(at)

Or something like that.

The pressing / push high up piece is an interesting one, in FM terms it depends on what your strategy is, and how you plan to cycle between them.

If you plan to play Control / Attack, the pressing is already high, so pressing / pushing more will leave you exposed. If you plan to play a controlled counter game (which is how I think Swansea play) then I would set in team instructions the team to push much higher up and press much more (as by default Counter has these lower).

Cheers

My interpretation of how they play is pretty much as described mate, I would say

GK(D)
WB(S), CD(S), CD(C), WB(at),
HB(D), RP(S),
AP(at), AM(at), IF(S)
AF(at)

Or something like that.

The pressing / push high up piece is an interesting one, in FM terms it depends on what your strategy is, and how you plan to cycle between them.

If you plan to play Control / Attack, the pressing is already high, so pressing / pushing more will leave you exposed. If you plan to play a controlled counter game (which is how I think Swansea play) then I would set in team instructions the team to push much higher up and press much more (as by default Counter has these lower).

Cheers

yeah I agree im think control home and counter away. Not sure about 2 DMs though may be harder to link up the play to attack when you've essentially got to DMs dropping deep to receive the ball