middlesbrough!!!

Just thought i'd share my thoughts on Boro, it is my first FM2009 game, haven't played since CM03/04 but doing quite well after 11 games. I'm 4th with Man U 1 point behind but with a game in hand. I've conceeded only 6 goals, only Chelsea have conceeded less (4).

Whilst I notice people like to spend big on a striker and/or RW I prefer to spend on the defense. My theory is i'll be defending more than attacking and a quality striker won't be fully used unless he gets good supply. I also didn't want to make to many changes as I noticed players need to get used to each other and tactics.

My 3 major starting signings:
GK - Ustari: Whilst playing a deep d-line I would of prefered a better arial/shot stopper you can't argue the quality for the price. Pretty good throwing so distribute to a targetman or winger for counter attacks.
DC - Ignashevich: Much better mental attributes than Huth/Wheater, good concentration, anticipiation, composure, decisions, determination, influence with the usual defencive stats make him a rock which is needed if defending lots.
DR - Zebina: Better allround except speed and age than Hoyte and cheap. Hoyte does fine against weaker opponents whilst resting Zebina.

The rest of my signings have been to add depth, youth and variety:
DL - Mattock: Better going forward than Pogatetz (WB vs LB/CB) so good for playing weak teams where you're sending your full backs forward more. 18, English, Cheap. Can't argue with that.
AMC - Borges. Very like Emnes with each only slightly better in different stats, I prefer Borges due to his near perfrect work rate and team work.
FC - Lewandowski: I play Mido as a TM or deeper forward with Lewandowski as his backup, performed great whilst Mido was injured. Young and Cheap.

Not had great performance from Downing or Tuncay yet, most of goals come from counter attacks, mistakes or set pieces which is enough to win with a solid defense. I notice people saying sell Alves but he's been great for me so far. He is both my highest scorer (joint) and highest assister due to playing counter attack with his prefered move to get into channels, he gets the ball from clearing kicks or flick-ons by Mido/Lewandowski then crosses to my TM/midfields who are charging into the box.

I would of loved to add a proper RM/RW but had no money or players left to sell due to injuries. Tuncay will have to do, at least his work rate helps, O'Neil does ok there to when not playing in MC.

Any tips for cheap RW players for me to scout out? Would prefer a good young, high workrate, pacy, crossing, winger than a passer type. I can probably sell Emnes and Hines so looking at under 5m in the 2010 January transfer window.

Last edited:
a decent centre back for the price is felipe baloy (around £1.8m)

Thanks for the tactic Sean! I used this with my boro team, only two matches in but beat Bolton 1-0 at home and Man Utd 2-1 away with this team:
1ba6bfc399.jpg

I got Hulk on loan for 6 months, he scored a beauty on his debut. He may be replaced by Alves but he's injured for 4-5 months and Santon might replace O'Neil who is on international duties. I'm looking to bring a midfielder in on loan for more back up, I only have £1.58m left but I'm 30k under my wage budget, any suggestions?

Just looking at this, wouldn't it be better to flip the formation? Have Downing as AML with O'Neil as RM (moving Miller to left side of MC and Tuncay to right side of AMC to keep balance).

Just thinking i'd rather have Downing forward more/further than O'Neil.

Just started a new game with Middlesborough, I put all the new transfer updates in before and have not got players like Downing, Tuncay, Huth, Turnball etc.... so signed Vicente for 4.6 million and Higuian for 4.8 million, signed Zebina for 1.3 million and got Davide Santon on loan for the season. Tried to loan Balotelli, but he had no intention of coming to me, has anyone got any suggestions on possible loan sigings or cheap potential?

on my boro game i got them promoted to premier leaue second behind newcastle, now in the prem i am 7th after 20 games and i have made some awesome signings such as ochoa who is world class keeper, got 3rd behind cech and casillas in goalkeeper of year, i also snapped up players like laurito and aquino for cheap who developed amazing, a bit more expensive players are the likes of bellamy 5mil, marquinhos who cost the EARTH!!! but was well worth it.........i recommend Mazzarani awesome right sided player, i also recommend N'Gog from Liverpool he is very under rated, keep wheater, adam johnson they are key players for me who are getting better and better, upload screenshots soon :)

Back