Jensefaen

Reaction score
Hi there. I prefer to play different versions of 4-2-3-1. But i struggle with finding the optimal setup for my midfield and lone striker. What are your experiences with using two midfielders versus two DM's? And what role for your forward has been bringing you most success?

I play as Southampton by the way, so the board wants me to play attacking, possession fotball.

Hi there. I prefer to play different versions of 4-2-3-1. But i struggle with finding the optimal setup for my midfield and lone striker. What are your experiences with using two midfielders versus two DM's? And what role for your forward has been bringing you most success?

I play as Southampton by the way, so the board wants me to play attacking, possession fotball.

Try my 4-2-3-1. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...666-possession-chances-4-2-2-2-4-2-3-1-a.html

In my tactic, I have the 2 center mids as DLP and AP. Two wide players as IF, AMC as AP, and the lone striker as CF or F9. I have had great success with Southampton with my tactic. A lot of possession, a lot of shots and goals.

Wide players should both be IF if tactic is a possession oriented one, the center attacking mid should be anything you want.

Trequartista: drifts everywhere for space, plays short simple passes or the occasional over the top to marauding players, never contributes defensively. Example: Totti

Enganche: like Treq. but stays static in one small area, and plays mainly with the back behind goal Example: Ganso

AP: Can drift around if given "roaming" and "move into channels" instruction, contributes defensively, will look to run with ball and is more direct and complete than a treq or an enganche, but less creative freedom. Example: Ozil

AM: Tries to pick up ball in deep areas then tries to shuttle it forwards to a more advanced player or an advancing winger. Example: Guarin(when played AMC)

Shadow Striker: Plays in the hole and marks the opposing deepest midfielder, then tries to shuttle forward on the break trying to make late runs, doesn't contribute much to build-up play though. Usually not a playmaker. Example: Reus.

Lone striker in any possession tactic should be a CF(s) or F9(s) like rogatsby said, this is so he doesn't become overly isolated from the midfield. Trequartista can also work here, a trequartista played striker will play like a false 9, but unlike a false 9, will drift laterally rather than going deep.

If you are playing with two dm's one needs to have playmaker ppms, and the other needs to connect defense and offense, so he needs box to box player ppms...I find it usefull to have one dlps and one dms....you will need an amc with a support role, adv.play, or attacking mid...you can have an amc with an attack role, but in that case he needs comes deep to get ball and plays one twos ppms, or he will stay to high up the pitch and you can forget about triangle play....

if playing with two mc's one needs to be a destroyer, with defend duty, and one needs to be a dlps...in amc role should be attacking mid with attack duty...

I would recommend against playing overlaps in 4231, and would put two fbs and inside forward and winger to destabilize defences,,,dlps should be on the side where winger is on...