Mikel signs for Chelsea

Jonny

Reaction score
Thats just effing great.

Chelsea will continue their flurry of pre-World Cup spending by signing the Nigeria international John Obi Mikel in the next 24 hours. The 19-year-old's arrival at Stamford Bridge ends a messy and protracted transfer dispute involving the Premiership champions and Manchester United, who thought last year they had won the race to buy the midfielder.
A significant proportion of the money that Chelsea pay Mikel's previous club Lyn Oslo will be passed on to United as compensation because the player signed a pre-contract agreement in April 2005 to move to Old Trafford. Mikel subsequently announced he had been pressured into doing so and wanted to join Chelsea, who were convinced they had a verbal commitment from the teenager to join them.

The saga has featured claims of death threats, a Fifa investigation and accusations from United's assistant manager Carlos Queiroz that Chelsea had taken football into the "jungle". Jose Mourinho, has already signed Andriy Shevchenko and Salomon Kalou this week after getting Michael Ballack earlier last month.
Mikel played in the African Nations Cup but little club football over the past year because of the transfer dispute. He has described Mourinho as "a brilliant coach and a brilliant man", adding: "I think Chelsea is going to be the best place for me."

Mourinho has hinted he will regularly play 4-4-2 next season, with Shevchenko and Didier Drogba up front. Ballack will probably be at the tip of a midfield diamond. "Andriy has a lot of times played 4-4-2 in Milan like Chelsea do a lot of times, with a diamond and two strikers."

And he emphasised on Chelsea TV Shevchenko's arrival will not influence him over Drogba. "People were speaking about ... Didier Drogba to go but that was never the idea. They are two strikers with very different qualities. Andriy has creativity, speed with the ball, movement, intelligence, an amazing player. Didier is strong, powerful, a fighter, fantastic in creating spaces for other people to score."

Morten Gamst Pedersen is to be offered a new long-term deal by Blackburn, doubling the Norwegian's £10,000-a-week pay, to fend off interest from Tottenham.

Pedersen great player, deserves more than £10,000 a week. Mikel must be good 2 command a transfer fee of 16 million quid.

Still feel we should have got Mikel, but were getting 12m so thats not bad I suppose. Only bad thing about that is that we only get 6m this year then 6m next year.

:yikes: Thats a **** of a lot of money for an 18 year old.

Never seen him myself but he cant be that bad if there paying 16m for him...Lyn Oslo will be laughing.

Kris said:
Never seen him myself but he cant be that bad if there paying 16m for him...Lyn Oslo will be laughing.

not really seeing as Lyn ar eonly gettin 4m over 2 years

One of my mates who went to this spanish football camp in Marbella, said he was talking to someone or someone was telling his team that a few week before they went Lyn Oslo was there and Mikel was brilliant he just took **** out of his team mates with his skills etc. So he must be good, if Man u and Chelsea wanted him.

I have seen him play twice in the African Nations. Was good in one match but then a bit average in the other. But obviously he must be a good player for Man Utd and Chelsea to have had this 'row' over him for so long and then for Chelsea to just throw money at utd to make them leave him alone.

United were gettin him for nowhere near 16 million, but 'cos of the policy that Chelsea have adopted of buying players other clubs are interested especially big ones it pushes the price of players up far too high, just look at drogba an alright player but not worth near the 24 million they paid for him, same with essien, so how good is mikel, really