Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what this is and exactly how it works from a buyer or a sellers point of view please?

It pretty much is a clause in the contract for a player, meaning the least value he would be allowed to leave for. For example, if he wanted to go to a bigger club, and there was a minimum fee release of £5 million, and Man Utd came in with £5 million bid, it would have to be accepted, and that player would be allowed to open contract talks,as it would trigger the clause
Theres also one for foreign clubs, so if Barcelona came in with a similar bid, the same action would be activated

Last edited:
Minimum fee release clauses (also known as buyout clauses) are compulsory for every players contract in Spain, most players have ridiculously high ones though, set by their clubs who don't want to lose their prize assets cheap.

Let's say the clause was set at £20 million. As a buying club you could bid £20 million to guarantee that the selling club accepts the offer as they don't have the option to turn it down. However this doesn't mean you can't bid less as they may still accept or decline a lower offer.

As a selling club, once a bid of £20 million or higher comes in, you must accept it. You don't always lose the player though, he may turn the contract down from the buying club, especially if you offer him a new one.

There are some players in Spain with lowish buyout clauses, and a great deal of youngsters in South America with reasonable buyout clases too.

Thanks very much for your answers. I assume then, as a Prem League manager, there is no benefit of me adding a clause to new players that I buy in?

What I'm actually trying to achieve, is stopping 10's of teams trying to poach my youngsters constantly ... it's annoying to keep declining offers of 100k when the player has a PA of 190 :p

Thanks very much for your answers. I assume then, as a Prem League manager, there is no benefit of me adding a clause to new players that I buy in?

What I'm actually trying to achieve, is stopping 10's of teams trying to poach my youngsters constantly ... it's annoying to keep declining offers of 100k when the player has a PA of 190 :p

Set it to about 100mil then no one will want him :)

You can set it up to automatically decline all offers, or decline all offers below a certain value in the transfer status page for each player.

Last edited:
never tried the 100 million, but I recommend what Jake says. He's basically extremely knowledgable about pretty much all the aspects of the game. I've followed his tips before, and they're pretty much spot on

Some players that I am currently after are quite sticky with their Minimun release clauses! in all of the earlier Fm's I could put their MRC (Minimun release clause) to like 200 million without them even caring (and this was for smaller teams, not your Chelsea's or United's)

i have had a number of contracts cancelled due the agent and I not agreeing on MRC's... 1,2 million is not nearly high enough for this particular player I am after, he is costing me around the same so in essence, I would barely make any money off him if someone had to activate that amount, or even worse, lose money if his value shot up over 1,2 (and this is quite a high probability)

the reasons why were explained above, as Jake mentioned, you need to set players transfer status to reject all offers, this will happen automatically without you even receving a mail....

no one in England has a MRC (well none that I know of) in Spain, it is part of the law that every player has to have a MRC in their contract whether it being 1k or 160 million :D

its just that if you buy a good youngster or player from a smaller Nation (like Algeria or Tunisia) for a team that is likely to get relegated or not a huge club World wide, it allows the player to move to a better club (if playing well and spotted by a United or Chelsea) to promote his career and mitigates the players club having the option to decline the bid and ask for say 15 million (an unrealistic amount)