gaamst

Reaction score
I've had this issue for a while now, been working on it for several seasons in-game, but I can't seem to come up with a decent solution. I've also looked through the forums and elsewhere on the internet, there are actually some good tips out there but none of them seem to work for me.

I'm in my 5th season now with Chelsea, we're easily the best team around and almost all of my players have high ratings on passing, decisions and creativity. First touch, technique, anticipation and off the ball are also relatively high. Not sure what else is required, just ask if you need more insight.

Now, some of the things people out there are suggesting is: lower the tempo(already its the lowest possible), less creative freedom for players with a low passing completion ratio(only my more offensive players are on more than 1-3), shorten passing distance for the concerning players(also extremely low already), and none of them should play any through balls and of course they're not.

BUT, defenders seem to clear the ball a lot, which I think counts as a "misplaced pass" in-game. The reason they're wasting possession like this might be because of the formation I play, which is quite narrow. And even if width is 15 on team instructions, and I use deep playmaker-type wingers, I don't use any fullbacks or wingbacks.

I'll add some photos for you guys to look at, hopefully it clears things up a little. And please let me know if there are statistics or other information I've forgot to add that would be helpful. Lastly, my aim is not to create another barcelona domination tactic that is averaging around 60-70% possession every match, although that would be nice, I'm simply trying to make my players perform better.

View attachment 323509
My team and formation (credit to **** and Vodu, heavily based on their tactic, hence the name)
View attachment 323507
3 DC's
View attachment 323504
2 DM's
View attachment 323508
MC
View attachment 323506
2 WR's
View attachment 323505
2 ST's
View attachment 323511
team instructions
View attachment 323510
general stats vs Stoke
View attachment 323515
analysis (passing ratio)

My gut feeling, without having actually seen your problems with this tactic in action, is that given the exotic nature of formation regarding the defensive players, your narrow width may be too narrow. I mean often when I've tried playing a shape without wingers, I've found that I have to play quite wide in order to make space for the players and not get them crowded in. Here you of course have wingers, but they're basically attacking players, right?

I would be curious to know what would happen if you would take the other DM for instance, and move him for CM with somewhat defensive duty. Link play and so forth.

Also I don't think it's a great idea to have the sliders at extremes, especially with Chelsea's technique you don't need to play at a crawl pace.

This is just my two cents, let me know what you think. I have to say that what you are trying to do seems VERY difficult to do, you're essentially playing with four attackers and one deeplying forward in MC position. Well you're Chelsea so I'm not saying it can't be done. :)