Mission Impossible: Pompey Survival

Chriis

Reaction score
So, I've downloaded LFCMarshall's latest transfer update and wondered if anyone else had tried managing Portsmouth, and to that matter has any tips?

I'm now in January and not only have I lost all my loan players (leaving me with 15 first teamers, if you include Wheeler etc.) I am also told I will lose most of my staff and the majority of my players at the end of the season. Furthermore, I'm still in debt (despite reducing the wage bill to 30k p/w out of a 60k p/w budget) and can't even get free players/loans in.

A French businessman now has control of the club but hasn't put any money in and I'm sitting in 18th place.

Is there any hope? Or is getting McLeod on a £90 p/w contract for 2 years the only positive out of all this...

Anyone care to share an insight on what I'm doing wrong?

I wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong at all, there isn't really much you can do apart from trying to ride out the storm.

It's a bit similar to Darlington really on the default non-updated version. Try as you might, you'll remain in receivership and won't be able to sign/loan anyone. Your best hope is to see what comes through the academy and keep an eye on the randomly generated (greyed out) players that you can offer contracts to. If you can get half a dozen of those that are decent, you potentially get a good cup run and either get newer interest in the club from investors, or a windfall from an away tie takes you out of receivership.

In terms of timescale, I managed to get Darlington out of receivership in the third season after surviving in the BSP on goal difference in year 1, reducing my wage bill to around 4k per week and Oliver Bierhoff of all people coming on board as chairman, injecting periodic funds. Second season managed to comfortably stave off relegation and in the third, got an FA Cup 3rd round away tie at Sunderland which allowed the club to come out of receivership. A few free transfers later and I am top, ready to return to the Football League.

It's painful, but just try and ride it out. The sense of achievment in a scenario like this is much more satisfying than spending gazillions in the Premier League.

Last edited:
I'm in the same position mate, I decided to take on this challenge, got to January 4th in the league, everything was going as well as it could on £90pw wages, then boom. all my loans gone, i cant loan anybody, even free transfers i found player who accept £90pw and it gets cancelled i'm a bit stuck, is it even possible to get out of recievership without getting promoted? as i'm only going to slip down the table now? any advice would be great!!!

I was sacked in February after sitting in 18th place (target is to avoid relegation) and also only used 30k of my 60k p/w budget... Stupid.