MashedPotato

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the MLS to me in layman terms because I'd like to manage a club in that league?

A Guide to the MLS | FM Scout

Thats a quick guide i just googled =P, I enjoy starting most my saves out in the MLS for 2-4 seasons before I move on to bigger challenges. Its a really fun league to coach because of the differences from Europe.

Mostly because of trades, roster limitations, and of course the draft, playing in the MLS is really interesting and different. If you're familiar with American sports, we love rewarding our losers with top picks in the draft(so the worst team gets the first pick in the draft which generally contains the best young players available in the sport).

It can be daunting at first, and generally challenging dealing with all the roster limitations(Salary cap, international players, designated players, etc) but its really fun and rewarding and you can game the system quite a bit with some experience.

Personally I rely on bringing in older out of country talent quite a bit as its not a top league so you can get people on free transfers or cheap that can be solid contributors if not stars in the league. Also do a fair bit of wheeling and dealing in trading with other teams. Some games I'll trade all my draft picks away for a key signing or 2. Others I'll stockpile draft picks the first year and hope my scouting serves me well in the draft and try to build a team that can be unstoppable after a year or 2.

Its a unique and fun league and i definitely recommend it.

edit:I butchered my first MLS save quite a bit just learning the rules, and there will definitely be a season here or there where I have to let go of a solid player or 2 because of roster limitations so don't be discouraged and once you get a grasp on the roster limitations try to always trade players away before you have to make cuts so no other teams get them for free off waivers.

Last edited: