Modern 3 man in defence! Only for expert!

Desmond91

Reaction score
Have you ever been able to create a tactic with "modern" 3 man in defence? (for example Juventus, Fiorentina, Barcellona (when using 3 man in defence)
With the two most external defense that in "hold ball" phase, widen and become as fullbacks, supporting the team, and they tighten and defense in "not hold ball" phase.

I'm trying in every way but I have some problems:

- If I use 3 DC, they remain too far back and narrow (altought I set Width at best, individual mentality to "attacking" and setting individual "hug touchline")
- If I use 1 DC and 2 fullbacks, they rise too much and especially they not tight in "not hold ball" and create holes for opponents

Any ideas?
(sorry for my english i hope you'll understand)

Put 2 lB/RB defend and make sure "run from deep" is selected as rarely with ppm "comes deep"

I too have had this problem but never been able to solve it but maybe the above will solve it:)

If you put them as you say in "not hold ball" phases players remain too wide!

I play my swans team like this

Butland

Trejo Lopez Tavio
Crisetig Tachtidis​
Marcone

Fabbrini Wellington Nem
De Rijk/ Ademilson
Two Dms hold the glue and the AP plays your wingers, if my flanks are injured or I'm resting player/playing young guns (Lot of CB's) It's worked perfectly so far, got me through the group stages in CL and worked in EPL against 'lesser' teams, although it destroys city as well. (Only have one upfront in my game and they destroy the three ACM's as well.)

I play everything Attacking with short passing, never set it to defensive mode and I've let 6 goals from 13 games in so far using it. That includes Chelsea, Ac. Milan, Barca, City and Anderlecht

I play my swans team like this

Butland

Trejo Lopez Tavio
Crisetig Tachtidis​
Marcone

Fabbrini Wellington Nem
De Rijk/ Ademilson
Two Dms hold the glue and the AP plays your wingers, if my flanks are injured or I'm resting player/playing young guns (Lot of CB's) It's worked perfectly so far, got me through the group stages in CL and worked in EPL against 'lesser' teams, although it destroys city as well. (Only have one upfront in my game and they destroy the three ACM's as well.)

I play everything Attacking with short passing, never set it to defensive mode and I've let 6 goals from 13 games in so far using it. That includes Chelsea, Ac. Milan, Barca, City and Anderlecht

If you put 3 DC they remain too tight when you have the ball, do not play along tthe flanks as I would they play..

Have you thought of Attacking wing backs?

Basically on the same line as the Dm's instead of the back line? Shift them to attack and that could work, it says 5-3-2 but it more like 3-5-2 if you think about it.

I think what your trying could almost be impossible... UNLESS...

Try the two on the left and right a ball-playing mids and set their personal instruction to play within an area, they'll inevitably push wider than before... Which could work, try and find a sweeper though, I fell it'd work better than a central stopper if there's another behind the defensive line.

On my United file, i play with 3 DC and then a diamond in midfield, so a DMC, RW, LW and AMC and then 3 in attack.

Having a DMC eases the pressure on the defence when defending and so when i attack the RW or LW and then just run at the opposition.

So far this has worked most of the time for me :D

I've used three at the back on and off with different teams and always found the CBs looking as if they're too narrow. I think it's a quirk of the match engine. It annoyed me at first because, like you, I like the way Juve's back three cover the whole width of the pitch in possession, allowing the wing backs to push forward. But I don't think it really matters - the wing backs still generally seem to be able to get forward.

I don't really like 3 at the back anyway, I prefer variants of 4-5-1 because it allows more variation in player types and roles. I've used 3 at the back where its suited the players I've got, but once I've had a chance to shape the team in the transfer market, it generally results in a move to 4 at the back.