Modern Barcelona tactic for testing

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Here is what I think modern Barcelona is using

View attachment 366885

give it a test run if you have these players...

They play play through defence style, This style favor a more defensive mentality, and since they have bp defenders, and a sk, I opted for counter strategy as those roles will initiate counter attacks. They also use more agressive defending style, but do not encourage agressive tackling, so get stuck in is removed. More roaming, more expressive freedom, running at defence and switch flanks was added to add fluidity and unpredictability to attack. Drill crosses might also work.

Philosophy was a big issue here. If I wanted treq to be treq, and bpd to be bpd, I would have to use a very rigid philosophy. I tried that first, and was winning with 1:0. Nobody could score against me, as my duties and roles are well balanced, but there was to big of a gap between my players, and we struggled to control possession, and score. And then it hit me. Barcelona players are capable of much more than just their roles, and are also not trained in what they actually do on the pitch. For example, my assistant claims Xavi is a dlps, while he is actually supposed to do a box to box role. Both tactic setup and formation demands it. So with balanced philosophy, I would encourage more movement between the lines, keep possession better, and also make sure that support duty does all roles. Meansing xavi will not only be a box to box, he will be a dlps, a cms, a bwms, and adv play. support. Also, my treq will also be a poacher and so on. Much more dangerous team, whilst retaining some defensive stability.

Last edited:
I made a mistake. Tiki Taka is all about creating and exploiting space, so we should really drop deeper when we have the ball. Either change that, or redownload please.

Barcelona (under Pep) was also about quick, short passing, not a very low tempo.

from wikipedia The phrase's origin may be onomatopoeic[5] (alluding to the quick, short distance "tick" passing of the ball between players)

Barcelona (under Pep) was also about quick, short passing, not a very low tempo.

from wikipedia The phrase's origin may be onomatopoeic[5] (alluding to the quick, short distance "tick" passing of the ball between players)

In theory, but on the practical side pique + puyol and sergi exchanged probably 3 million passes. Even when xavi dropped to get the ball the tempo was slow, he was "looking for a through ball" which most of the times he did not find and again 5000 short passes with roaming players.

To say their tempo was fast is a mistake. They usually speeded it up either by "roaming" or by "one-two" both of which can be replicated in game through the respective move. You could make a possesion tactic with a high tempo, but it will not be tiki taka. And the possesion in it will be far les than a slow tempo for the sole fact that you lose the ball quicker.

I think your base formation is not adequate. First of, Xavis role is not BBM. Hi sits on centre of field in this formation and recycles possesion. In BBM role, hi does not sit in half. Second, your fullbacks are not offensive enough, especially right.

I agree this is counter game and I agree that it is, basically, slow paced game. But you might want to review your base setup...

For me, Xavi is more of DLP/def role. He rearly pushes to much forward. He is their anchor, but at same time, he is not their main playmaker. So, in order to avoid him as creator, you should set him ond short passing game and fewer risks passing. Since he is on D-role, you can give more offensive role to your RB. So CWB seem appropriate, since he will use space that RW creates by runing byline, and Xavi will give them support for backpass and for defensive cover.Now, Your LW is not one that is making runs, but he waits for Messi or Iniesta to make move towards goal, and then he is making runs for it and gives them support and option for pass. So LW is support duty, and your LB is on attack, but more controled and more byline oriented.

Regarding Buskets, he is more of HB then BWM, since he dorps back, covers runs from CB-s and create back tree in defesive faze, which give opportunity of three man pressure on side of field (one cm, fb and w all at the same time) while having solid back three wiht one of cms infront of them as backup. Now, how to achieve to press only on side of field? Simple, by using opponent instruction. I would turn of tight marking as team option, but reather tight mark or even man mark centraly positioned playrs, and give space to players on side to receive ball, and then give instruction to press them afterwords. This way you will win ball and create space on side, and even space for your Treq/Messi, I beleive...

In theory, but on the practical side pique + puyol and sergi exchanged probably 3 million passes. Even when xavi dropped to get the ball the tempo was slow, he was "looking for a through ball" which most of the times he did not find and again 5000 short passes with roaming players.

To say their tempo was fast is a mistake. They usually speeded it up either by "roaming" or by "one-two" both of which can be replicated in game through the respective move. You could make a possesion tactic with a high tempo, but it will not be tiki taka. And the possesion in it will be far les than a slow tempo for the sole fact that you lose the ball quicker.

Tempo and risk are different things and common confused and misleading. A lower risk in the pass doesn't mean the tempo / intensity is lower.
Also, a slow tempo doesn't mean you will have more possession because your players might be tackled and loose the ball.

this is a very old thread, and quite obviously, obsolete....my newest possession tactic is Tesla