Blinx251

Reaction score
Hi guys, im just wondering if any of you may know which method of promotion would be more fruitful and yield the most money for an english championship club, automatic promotion i.e winning the league or the playoffs. Coming from a purely monetary stand point. I planned play off promotion with derby because its supposedly the richest game in football, but im doing much better than expected and im top of the league in january, only lost 2 league games so far. I just cant decide which method would be better for the club money wise. Thanks in advance.

Higher finish = more money. That's the way I see it.

Yeah thats what i was thinking but what about the play off final being the potential richest game in football ??

Yeah thats what i was thinking but what about the play off final being the potential richest game in football ??

I believe that just refers to the difference in prize money, sponsorship etc. between the EPL & Championship. Doesnt mean the actual prize for winning that match is more then for winning the league, correct me if im wrong of course.

The Richest game in Football from a cash point of view is actually the Champions League Final but it's only semantics. Like Lippo said, the "richest game in football" tag is not as honest as it sounds when about 50% of it's value is made up in Parashoot payments: money you'd never see as getting relegated would more than likely cost you your job. About 45% is TV money while club income makes only a small amount. As you stay up there, you develop sponsorship deals and slowly, the TV money makes up a small portion of your income.

The "richest game in football" tag was given to it by Sky for sensationalism. It's easier to buy into the hype of a play-off final when it's "the richest game in football" but the two teams who finished above you get the exact same deals; except they get a bigger cash prize for finishing higher.