Moneyball Challenge - Crawley Town FC

JamieLauder

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been away for a few weeks since my last save. I’m back now though with a different type of Challenge - The Moneyball Challenge.

If you don’t know what a Moneyball save is, I’d implore you to read this introduction article by Alex Stewart. Essentially, there are 6 rules that I have to follow.

1. Net wage spend is more important than net transfer spend. Keep wages down.
2. Sell your players at the right time: when they’re around 30 years old, goalkeepers aside.
3. Make sure each player is thoroughly scouted - no rash decisions.
4. Sell any player if a club offers more than they’re worth and try to replace them before they’re sold.
5. Don’t buy players if you don’t need to.
6. Don’t sign players over 25.

It’s essentially the Brentford challenge, sign undervalued players to sell for a profit. I think rules 4 and 6 will make things really difficult. Any over-value offer for one of my players has to be accepted. I have no doubt some of my best players will be poached as we progress through the save.

I’ll be starting this save in League Two with Crawley Town FC. I knew I wanted to start with a team that only had an U23s team, like Brentford, and I knew I wanted to start in League Two. The only team in both was Crawley, so that’s who I’ll be going with. The club culture also contains ‘Sign young players players to sell for a profit’ so it seems a great fit.

The club have had trouble with finances before, entering administration on several occasions to be saved at the last minute. I’m here to change that. The priority is to keep Crawley financially stable, then by scouting undervalued markets and picking up Out of Contract or Transfer Listed players the success will follow.

Speaking of which, within 5 years the club want promotion to League One and in real life the owner has said that he wants to be in the Championship within 10 years. Things are looking exciting!

Below I've attached some photos of Crawley's situation:

Club Vision
Club Finances

I’ll be doing seasonal updates for this save so I don’t know how long it’ll be until the next one, but I’m really looking forward to the challenge.

Thank you for reading!