jal901

Reaction score
View attachment 276384
Montpellier on the lookout
View attachment 276385
Following a physical confrontation with the chairman, Rene Girard has been sacked from his post. Little is known about the incident with Montpellier now looking for a new manager to take the reins. With the club winning the league and making their debut in the Champions League, top class managers around the world are being linked with the job.

Montpellier recruits internally
With the likes of Redknapp and Benitez interested in the job, it came as a surprise to Montpellier fans when the club recruited one of their coaches as the new manager.

James Brookes has been working at Montpellier for just a year, and only recently got his coaching badges. He knows the players well and encourages attractive football, something that influenced the chairman's decision to recruit him.

Although, the players trust him, can he win the trusts of the fans and continue the momentum from last season and challenge for the title?

Last edited:
Brookes as tough as bricks
Following his appointment Brookes has not wasted any time by calling his team in at 6:00am for fitness and match preparation. Some might say it is harsh but to Brookes he wants his team to challenge the likes of PSG, Lyon and Marseille.

Team assessment:
Brookes: "The team is full of great players but strengthening is definitely needed to improve the squad and build on last seasons success."

Key Players:
Belhanda.jpg

Belhanda - A key player for Montpellier this season. He is creative and a threat to the opposition and will hopefully provide the passes for the men up front to score. With Giroud leaving, Belhanda will be important for our team scoring.

bc0a6f60-a11f-4ea6-8097-f4aef4359049_7cf1e18d-a1c4-432c-a51e-f84b75d49804.jpg

Yanga M'Biwa - Another key player for Montpellier and the captain. With the lack of experience and quality at the back it is important he intercepts every ball and wins every tackle. But the most important thing is his leadership; his influence is the same as Terry at Chelsea.

Tactics:
View attachment 276400
With the lack of finance and top quality, Brookes will opt for an attacking 4-2-4 to help Montpellier score plenty. With the quality on the wings, Brookes felt this tactic was needed.

Last edited:
Del Piero spotted in Montpellier
imgDel%20Piero5.jpg

Alessandro Del Piero was spotted alongside the chairman and Brookes, outside the stadium. Is the first signing of the Brookes era?

In other news Man Utd are being linked with the likes of Mats Hummels and Axel Witsel, Arsenal are tracking Fernando Llorente and Barcelona are interested in the services of David Luiz.

Del Piero does U-turn to Sporting
SportingPortugallogo300(1).jpg

Alessandro Del Piero has made a dramatic decision to join Sporting over Montpellier. The deal was practically in place till at the last minute Del Piero decided to choose Portugal over France. Brookes "We are gutted he choose the other club but we will move onto other targets."

In other news former Montpellier manager, Girard, came out with this statement, "The chairman was wrong to sack me. I did nothing wrong...it was his problem...I hope Montpellier falter this season!"

Like the look of this! Just getting into the Story side of FM so will be following this one! Tough Challenge ahead!

Enjoyed the first part wanted more too read will be following :)

Signings:
Loic Nestor (?1 million): He is a young, up and coming, French defender with potential. For such a low price I thought it was too good an opportunity to turn down.

Steven Caulker (loan): Another young defender with potential. I liked the look of him at Swansea and he will fit into our system. With Stambouli loaned out he will add dept.

John-Guidetti-008.jpg

John Guidetti (loan): Another loan signing who will bring quality to the squad. Last season he played for Feyernood and scored for fun. Will hopefully fill the hole left by Giroud.

Yaya Sanogo (?1.3 million): He is a young French striker with potential. Thought I'd snap him up before the big clubs come looking.

mark_noble105afp_801160c.jpg

Mark Noble (?3.1 million): With the lack of creativity in midfield I felt someone was needed. Jenssen was my original target but Noble is still a good signing none the less. As well as his creativity he will be able to beef up the midfield.

Moises (Pre-contract): With Villareal being relegated last season I thought it was the perfect time to snap up this talent. Him, Sanogo and Nestor are the future of the club.

Outs:
Stambouli (loan): RC Lens
Ligali (loan): Real Zaragoza

Last edited:
Who needs Giroud!
Pre-season:
Brookes "In general they were pretty good performances from the team and we were scoring goals. I feel we need to tighten up the defence and hopefully find the right centre back partnership. I feel we are ready for the new season. Bring on Lyon!"

Delemont 0 vs 4 Montpellier
Guidetti (2), Belhanda, Ait Fana

Montpellier 3 vs 1 Blackburn
Congre, Guidetti (2)

Montpellier 2 vs 1 Ado Den Haag
Horvath (OG), Sanogo

Montpellier 0 vs 2 Arsenal

SR Colmar 1 vs 1 Montpellier
Sanogo

EFC 0 vs 2 Montpellier
Guidetti, M'Biwa

Last edited:
August Summary:
Montpellier makes good start to the league
Lyon destroyed by Montpellier twice
Belhanda scores a beauty

Champions Trophy:
Lyon 0 vs 3 Montpellier
Congre, Camara (2)

Brookes "We absolutely destroyed Lyon, creating a lot of chances and dominating possession. Mark Noble pulled the strings in midfield and Camara showed his poaching capability!"

League:
Montpellier 2 vs 0 Valenciennes
Camara (2)

League:
PSG 0 vs 2 Montpellier
Noble, Camara

Brookes "A great display from the lads and they deserved their win. Shows you don't have to spend big to win games!"

League:
Montpellier 2 vs 0 Stade De Reims
Belhanda, Herrera

League:
Lyon 0 vs 4 Montpellier
Camara (3), Belhanda

League:
Montpellier 3 vs 1 SC Bastia
Belhanda, Herrera, Guidetti

Player of the month:
Souleymane+Camara+Montpellier+Herault+SC+v+RtQv8Ah8iU5l.jpg

Could of gone to Belhanda or Noble, but Camara has been outstanding, scoring goals for fun. Hopefully, the injury he picked up against Bastia doesn't last too long.

Summary:
Brookes "The boys have played well and scored for fun. The unbeaten start is fantastic and helpfully we will take it into next month. Belhanda, M'Biwa, Noble, Congre, Guidetti and Camara have all played excellently. The only downside is conceding our first goal against Bastia!"

League Position:
1st​

Last edited:
180px-UEFA_Champions_League_logo_2.svg.png

Montpellier handed tough draw!

In their debut season in the Champions League Montpellier were handed the 'Group of death'. The club have been drawn with the likes of AC Milan, Man City and Panathinaikos.

AC Milan are always a threat in the Champions League with their prestigious history. There has been a huge transition at Milan with players going and new faces joining. So can Montpellier take advantage of this?

Man City are another threat to their Champions League journey. They won the Premier League last season and have an abundance of wealth. With players such as David Silva and Sergio Aguero, it will be a tough ask for Montpellier.

Finally, looking at Panathinaikos, they might appear as the easiest opposition but Montpellier must be wary of the threat they pose. It is also important that the club beats this club if they want to progress.

Montarcelona
That's right, a new word used to describe Montpellier style this season. In his first couple of months Brookes has got his boys playing football. By this I mean, not hoofing it up to the target man, but passing the ball, creating chances and looking pretty.

Their form in the league has been phenomenal but it is still early days. To be compared to such a great club in Barcelona must be a daunting process, but Brookes had this to say, "It's great to be compared to their style, but we are just taking it one game at a time. So it's too early to say!"

With Barcelona, they have the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi to influence their style of play but Montpellier are still managing to play in the same style. Mark Noble is dictating the play from the middle of the park, allowing others to move round with ease. This leaves the question: Is Noble the type of player England needs?

In other aspects Belhanda has been superb as well. He hasn't got the same central role as last season as he is playing on the wings. But he is still providing the team with creativity and assists. This partnership of Noble/Belhanda reminds me of an early Xavi/Iniesta partnership, but it's too early to tell how great this partnership is and could become.

Finally, there is Camara upfront. He is no Messi but he has been prolific, scoring in nearly every game. With Guidetta and Herrera as back up no wonder Camara has been showing off in the goals department.

It makes me wonder what if someone is injured or banned? They have already beaten PSG and Lyon with ease, but how will they fare against tougher opposition? Will Montpellier be able to cope? Again, it's too early to say but the way their playing they could be a tough challenge for other teams.

One thing for sure though, the way Barcelona, Montpellier and Arsenal play is the future of the game. Will clubs adopt this daring strategy or will clubs resort to other methods? And how will clubs play against this philosophy? Will they park the bus like Chelsea or will they try other methods?
Tim Vickery, BBC Sport

If anyone's got any suggestions to improve my story let me know! Also what do people think of this article I made up, is it good or cheesy?

Champions Trophy:
Lyon 0 vs 3 Montpellier
Congre, Camara (2)

Brookes "We absolutely destroyed Lyon, creating a lot of chances and dominating possession. Mark Noble pulled the strings in midfield and Camara showed his poaching capability!"

League:
Montpellier 2 vs 0 Valenciennes
Camara (2)

League:
PSG 0 vs 2 Montpellier
Noble, Camara

Brookes "A great display from the lads and they deserved their win. Shows you don't have to spend big to win games!"

League:
Montpellier 2 vs 0 Stade De Reims
Belhanda, Herrera

League:
Lyon 0 vs 4 Montpellier
Camara (3), Belhanda

League:
Montpellier 3 vs 1 SC Bastia
Belhanda, Herrera, Guidetta

Good start, 16 goals scored and more important only 1 conceded!

September Summary:
Camara out for ten days
Montpellier begin their Champions League journey
Continuing our great form in the league

League:
FC Lorient 3 vs 5 Montpellier
Cabella (2), Guidetti (2), Congre

Brookes "A good start to the month with a victory. Guidetti and Cabella were on fire with the absence of Belhanda and Camara, their also forming a good partnership down the right hand side. The only negative is we conceded three goals, so I expect the defence to be better next game!"

Champions League:
Panathinaikos 2 vs 5 Montpellier
Camara (2), Guidetti, Noble, Belhanda

Brookes "A good start to the Champions League with an away win!"

League:
Montpellier 1 vs 0 Nice
Camara

League:
Evian TG 1 vs 1 Montpellier
Guidetti

League:
FC Sochaux 1 vs 1 Montpellier
Congre

Champions League:
Montpellier 1 vs 1 AC Milan
Congre

Player of the month:
John-Guidetti-008.jpg

If it wasn?t for the poor defensive display, Congre would be our player of the month. I have to give it to Guidetti. Not only has he scored this month, he has provided numerous assists for Camara and Cabella. Hopefully we can sign him up!

Summary:
Brookes "The boys have performed great this month and are sitting comfortably in 2nd​ place. They remain unbeaten and the players are showing their ability. I ?m pleased with the league and Champions League we are showing. The only downside is the amount of goals we conceded this month. To be a good side we need clean sheets!"

League Position:
2nd

Troubles brewing
Brookes and Remy Cabella were caught in a verbal spat. Cabella felt he deserved more playing time plus a new big-money contract. Brookes responded by saying, "He's naive youngster thinking he deserves a big money contract. He needs to show in training why he deserves first team football. I will not let him destroy the mood round the club. No player is bigger than the club!"

Cabella responded by submitting a transfer request. Brookes showed his ruthless side with this player. But was it the right method to go about it?

Last edited: